Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Crockpot Issues

Chayalle

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:10 pm
Do you have a great crockpot?

A year ago my trusty old crockpot died. I bought a new one, and it just doesn't live up to my needs. It basically can keep warm - so I make chulent in a pot, and transfer it to the crockpot, and we have hot chulent Shabbos morning.

But it doesn't do actual cooking. I used to be able to put up a good split pea soup or such in the morning, and by supper time the peas were totally dissolved, or beans were fully cooked and soft....this crockpot, the soup is not cooked by suppertime, even if I put the soup up at 8 in the morning and on the highest setting. The beans are hard, the peas are not that texture we expect.

I bought another crockpot, and SAME THING!!!!!!!! Banging head

Don't they make good crockpots anymore?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:12 pm
Hamilton Beach makes wonderful crockpots! I bought recently. What size do you need?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:13 pm
Probably need at least 4 quart. Thanks!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:15 pm
The one I've been using the past year is a westbend, but the new one I bought is a Hamilton Beach. It doesn't cook the way my old one used to.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:22 pm
Chayalle wrote:
The one I've been using the past year is a westbend, but the new one I bought is a Hamilton Beach. It doesn't cook the way my old one used to.

If you are willing to spend an extra $9, you can order this one which isn't being manufactured anymore. I have it for a decade and last year I bought a second one for pesach, even though it was a discontinued item. I was just tired of using the crockpot brand one I had or pesach as the lid kept jumping from moisture (didn't have a good seal). Very happy with both of the 10 year old and 1 year old one BH (same machine).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham.....04120

Otherwise, this should be good. Available on Amazon and Wal-Mart.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....80033

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

mdogzz

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:23 pm
I have the crock pot brand and it works really well. Even on low it cooks cholent if I put it on right before Shabbos and makes it really really hot.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you are willing to spend an extra $9, you can order this one which isn't being manufactured anymore. I have it for a decade and last year I bought a second one for pesach, even though it was a discontinued item. I was just tired of using the crockpot brand one I had or pesach as the lid kept jumping from moisture (didn't have a good seal). Very happy with both of the 10 year old and 1 year old one BH (same machine).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham.....04120

Otherwise, this should be good. Available on Amazon and Wal-Mart.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....80033

I like that first one...and it's pretty reasonable anyway.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:36 pm
does it turn off automatically? maybe you need a timer to disrupt the cycle

sandwich

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:51 pm
slow cooker

I have this one and really like it but I bought it on sale for $40
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen