Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Kids are starting to act out

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:54 pm
How do u keep your kids busy?
I did every day something elsw with them , now they got bored . Today they are crawling the woles going off rheir minds . Can someone give me ideas or im about to get a nervous breakdown. Small apartment kids being under my foot. They already ride their bicycles, they already baked today, what now??? If I dont keep them busy they start doing crazy things like crawling on each others . Help!

computergirl

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:00 pm
are they old enough for perler beads? those are an amazing time killer (but be prepared for massive cleanup)
window markers
scavenger hunt around the house
hide a lot of something small (popsicle sticks...) around the house and whoever finds the most wins. (they have to sit on the couch while you hide them or they don't get to play)
screen time

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:20 pm
I got twelve containers of Play-Dough on Amazon for about ten dollars, plus some other cheap crafts.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:55 pm
I don’t know how old your kids are but we spent 4 hours painting on Sunday and everyone , all ages, including my DH enjoyed it.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 6:10 pm
My son has been building things out of cardboard a lot lately. Cardboard from packages, tape, markers, scissors. He's good for hours. Or just paper, markers, and scissors. I don't know how old your kids are, he's 7.

sub

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 6:14 pm
What age group?

Paint by number, hook rug

If you have a printer and internet access, print out mazes and sudoku from krazydad- have a contest who can finish the most in a certain time.

Take a cereal box, have them cut out one side, turn over to the side with no pic, draw puzzle shape, cut out then have them reassemble pic.

Give them paper, pen, highliters and ask them to write and illustrate their own book, then give them hole punchers and ribbon or any string you have at home to collate the book.

Give them all craft supplies at home and ask them to make up new board games good for shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:17 pm
Very creative ima's we have on here.
Im so not a cut out to be a pre-school teacher . I know I have no choice right now, but a full day keeping'em busy is just impossible for me. when its sounding like its 3 days in one day . We keep'em busy for 2 hours and then what? "Kids keep kvetching what can I do" even they have morning for 2 hours school and then start to do an art whats the rest of the day left to do ?! Its a long long day!

thriver

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:19 pm
Set up a schedule so they have an idea of what the day will look like. You should not feel like you need to entertain them all hours of the day. It’s okay for them to have some downtime where they entertain themselves and/or each other.

It sounds like, correct me if I’m wrong, you are burnt out. You have been awesome super mother and now you’ve had enough. Understandably. Take a break. Tell them the activity for tomorrow is that they need to do something special for you! Give them open ended craft items and tell them that you’re not looking and give them time to make something for you. Put the timer on for however long you think is reasonable for them to work on it—younger kids, 1/2 hour, older can go longer. Tell them you will not be coming in till the timer beeps. I hope you’ll be surprised at what they come up with. Be very firm about them not coming to you during that time.

Hope this works! Meanwhile, put your feet up and do something YOU enjoy for you.

Good luck!

amother
Black

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:42 pm
If your kids are young and you don't mind doing crafts, look online for crafts you can do from egg cartons, paper towel rolls, foam cups etc...
I print coloring pages like hello kitty or mickey mouse.
We scotch taped a big roll of paper to the floor and they painted and colored was fun!

Older kids are doing some science stuff like rock candy, planting seeds, food crafts.

If you have girls younger ones like age 8 can do loom bracelets and older girls friendship bracelets.

Food fun like peanut chews, today we made pizza and slush. Took alot of time.

If you don't mind buying crafts I love the klutz company.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:47 pm
Do you allow any screen time? Thats what saves me - I dont give them tons of online time - just an hour or two a day, but it gives me that break, so I can face the rest of the day.

A schedule like thriver said is also key.

There are also a lot of online resources, and lists that can give you ideas. I'm part of a group that sends out messages with activities ideas which is helpful. Maybe join something like that...

Good luck! Know that your not alone in this....

behappy2

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 9:19 pm
Depends on kids ages, gender, personality. In general I find that it helps me if I don't take responsibility for their entertainment. Also developing a thick skin for fighting, kvetching, and just kids being bored. Helps them too get comfortable being able to be happy by themselves.

Today I did a 300 piece puzzle with my 4 year old. To add to the list of ideas here...Also depending where you live you can just do outdoor time, I sit on a chair and whoever wants can sit near me or run around. If you have the strength you can do reading time every day. Either they read quietly or you read to them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics