Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Going to the hospital all alone:(

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:30 pm
I have a surgery in the hospital tomorrow and due to the pandemic I need to go all alone. Anyone have any advice/ tips/ chizuk for me?
Has anyone else had to do this? Ty

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:35 pm
Ugh! That must be so hard! I be never done it personally, so I can’t fukly understand, but it must feel scary and vulnerable. Can you take something meaningful to read in case there is waiting time? Maybe do some self care or calming tonight to prepare yourself?

Refuah shelaima!

yersp

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:37 pm
Comfortable clothes and tichel is a must. They might not let you wear the tichel to the OR though. Twice I had to wear their hair nets but the nurse told me that when it's a jewish patient they put 3 of those together and it's not see thru.
If it's an outpatient procedure and you'll go home soon after, then just wait out the recovery time. If you'll be longer in recovery room or overnight, definitely take along a small something like an ipod or mp3 with music or shiurim and headphones to pass the time.
Best of luck!

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a surgery in the hospital tomorrow and due to the pandemic I need to go all alone. Anyone have any advice/ tips/ chizuk for me?
Has anyone else had to do this? Ty

So sorry Sad is hard position to be in.
Going into surgery, knowing you are alone and have to help yourself.

Depending on what kind of surgery, bring whatever you will need to rely on for comfort/ease.

I don't know if this helps, I had a C-section all alone. It wasn't planned. It was hard without being able to move or care for my baby. Surgery it is..

I wish you an easy recovery and smooth hospital stay.

lilies

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:49 pm
Phone and charger.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:58 pm
That sounds really hard.

Can you video chat to help pass the time while waiting, and to connect to people who can offer support? However, in my experience, internet service is not always reliable inside hospital buildings.

I do hope they will allow you to have help when leaving. I hope this goes well, and wishing you a refuah sheleima.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 8:03 pm
Take lots of food and water bottles with you. and a warm robe.

Refuah Shelaimah.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 8:07 pm
If you have an extra long charger cord, bring it. Super helpful from past experience.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 10:02 pm
I had surgery (hip replacement) and went to the hospital by myself.

Honestly it's not a big deal because family isn't allowed back where one is actually prepped for surgery nor are they allowed in the recovery area either. This was in Cedars in Los Angeles and is standard procedure - pre-Corona

My experience has been that the nurses and other medical personnel were very kind and helpful. I'm actually glad not to have company at the hospital because I like the ability to not be social when I am tired.

Will you be staying in the hospital a few days or is this out-patient? I ask because if you will be staying, you need to prepare a bag to be comfortable with your needs. Some things I brought were wipes (very good for just freshening up in general); iPhone and charger with extension cord; sucking candy because your mouth might get dry; I brought a hooded sweatshirt because it was warm to wear in bed. You might also want a robe depending on when you walk around. Bring all your medical information including medications and dosages - don't bother bringing medication because they won't want you to take your own medication because they need to control your medical care.

thriver

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 10:26 pm
[quote="amother [ Emerald ]"

My experience has been that the nurses and other medical personnel were very kind and helpful.[/quote]

This. You will not be completely alone and although of course it is not your family, there will be other human beings there and I am davening for you that they be a warm and helpful team. Talk to the staff and be kind to them and they will IyH reciprocate in kind. IyH you should have a speedy recovery!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 10:50 pm
Thank you for the warm responses and tips. Please daven for me.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 10:59 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I had surgery (hip replacement) and went to the hospital by myself.

Honestly it's not a big deal because family isn't allowed back where one is actually prepped for surgery nor are they allowed in the recovery area either. This was in Cedars in Los Angeles and is standard procedure - pre-Corona

My experience has been that the nurses and other medical personnel were very kind and helpful. I'm actually glad not to have company at the hospital because I like the ability to not be social when I am tired.

Will you be staying in the hospital a few days or is this out-patient? I ask because if you will be staying, you need to prepare a bag to be comfortable with your needs. Some things I brought were wipes (very good for just freshening up in general); iPhone and charger with extension cord; sucking candy because your mouth might get dry; I brought a hooded sweatshirt because it was warm to wear in bed. You might also want a robe depending on when you walk around. Bring all your medical information including medications and dosages - don't bother bringing medication because they won't want you to take your own medication because they need to control your medical care.

I don’t think that this is correct. I had surgery at Cedars this year and my husband was with me at Pre-op and during recovery... He only had to wait outside during the actual procedure.

Either way OP, wishing you the best of luck and everything should go smoothly!! Nurses are usually very kind and will do their best to keep you comfortable.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 11:15 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I don’t think that this is correct. I had surgery at Cedars this year and my husband was with me at Pre-op and during recovery... He only had to wait outside during the actual procedure.

Either way OP, wishing you the best of luck and everything should go smoothly!! Nurses are usually very kind and will do their best to keep you comfortable.

I can’t say you are wrong but my experience is that there aren’t visitors back there but perhaps you had special circumstances. There isn’t much space or privacy for visitors so I can’t imagine how they would accommodate a visitor for each person.

We were taken back in a group and changed into the operating gowns etc. I didn’t see any people other than the patients and the medical staff. Everyone in my group said god bye to their family in the waiting area where you went to sign in and wait to be called back.

chasdie Hashem

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:25 pm
How r u feeling?im thinking about u?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics