Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Coronavirus causing dangerous Kawasaki disease in children

Ora in town

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 6:14 pm
Apparently, Covid19 can cause complications in children. There have been a few cases now around the world (USA, UK, Spain, Italy, Switzerland) where child developed symptoms similar to Kawasaki syndrome.

What are your thoughts about it?

ila

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 6:16 pm
What are the simptoms? Please

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 6:36 pm
ila wrote:
What are the simptoms? Please

Kawasaki symptoms is fever, usually high. Severe rash with peeling skin. Swollen lymph nodes are also possible. It can effect the heart if it's ignored too long. Can only be treated in the hospital.

malki2

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 6:41 pm
I think you mean Coxsackievirus.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 6:47 pm
malki2 wrote:

https://www.emedicinehealth.co.....asaki

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 6:48 pm
malki2 wrote:

Coxsackievirus and kawasaki disease are 2 different things. Kawasaki disease is a dangerous virus that can lead to heart disease and cardiac arrest in previously healthy children, usually under the age of 5. My friend's toddler had this a while ago. He was hospitalized for weeks and needed to do follow-ups with his cardiologist for a few months.
Coxsackievirus is more common, and though uncomfortable and annoying, it is usually not serious.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 6:58 pm
Kawasaki is actually the body's response to the virus, it's a syndrome not a virus. Usually the child will have a fever for over 5 days and some other symptoms like conjunctivitis ("pink eye"), rash, swollen lymph nodes, a very red tongue and red/swollen hands and feet. Makes sense that children can get with coronavirus, just like an other virus

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:16 pm
malki2 wrote:

It's 2 different things. Kawasaki is a different thing.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:22 pm
Dd was suspected to have Kawasaki disease when she was about a year old. She had high fever that did not go down with fever reducing meds and I had to cover her eyes so she didn't scream from pain from light. She was so lethargic when we went to the doctors that the receptionist saw her and sent us straight into a room and called the Dr emergency and they even tested her for meningitis as a precaution. She had all the typical symptoms for Kawasaki except that she did not have a rash and most kids who get Kawasaki are Asian. I wonder if these kids with Covid-19 are of Asian descent. The next morning when things did not improve, they sent us to the hospital. I had to black out the car windows. Of course, her fever broke by the time we reached CHOP. There doctors there said it wasn't Kawasaki but some sort of virus and that she's fine.

malki2

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:28 pm
yidisheh mama wrote:
Coxsackievirus and kawasaki disease are 2 different things. Kawasaki disease is a dangerous virus that can lead to heart disease and cardiac arrest in previously healthy children, usually under the age of 5. My friend's toddler had this a while ago. He was hospitalized for weeks and needed to do follow-ups with his cardiologist for a few months.
Coxsackievirus is more common, and though uncomfortable and annoying, it is usually not serious.

Got it. Thanks guys.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:53 pm
My thoughts are that we don't know enough about the connection yet. It seems to be rare, though.

Additionally, I never liked the lackadaisical approach that "kids are safe from Covid" because although they seem to be, any virus can trigger (rare) immune responses and syndromes. Why risk it when so little is known about this particular virus?

amother
Azure

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:35 pm
Anyone know how long after a child had corona can they come down with Kawasaki

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 8:30 pm
New York's health department has now issued a statement on this.

https://t.co/L89vjE3C2s?amp=1

(Edited because I posted an older link)

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 8:33 pm
It’s quite scary that the amount of cases have already quadrupled.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

Ora in town

Post Wed, May 13 2020, 4:25 pm
I see that now we know a lot more about it..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics