Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you do Mother’s Day or not? Why?
1  2  3  Next

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:22 pm
Post says it all Smile
No fighting please.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:23 pm
Bh most Jews don't need a reminder and a specific day to honor our mother. Every day is mothers day.
We have a mitzva to honor our parents every day, not just one day a year.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:25 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Bh most Jews don't need a reminder and a specific day to honor our mother. Every day is mothers day.
We have a mitzva to honor our parents every day, not just one day a year.

Yep! My husband said that!! Do you know the origin of it? I wanna know

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:27 pm
No. I celebrate myself every day.
But my father and mother (who both didn’t grow up frum) do contact me to wish me Happy Mothers Day and I also contact my mother and my sister too. My sister is MO and she does celebrate in a big way. Her children make her breakfast in bed, they go out to eat for dinner, she receives cards and gifts etc.
I don’t celebrate at all in my own home. My kids and DH don’t even know when Mothers Day is unless they hear about it from someone else.

jfk92

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:28 pm
I usually do something small for my mother like pick up some desserts but write a card (shes very into the card). Ill remind DH to do something for his mom. We have a toddler so he cant exactly do it on his own, and Dh doesn't really think of it. But last year I planned a stay-cation and it fell around that time. So it was, from me to me, sort of thing. Although my parents do send me something (my mom made a personalize book of me and my DS) last year.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:28 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Yep! My husband said that!! Do you know the origin of it? I wanna know

I think it's from a religious Methodist origin. A lady in West Virginia made it to honor her mother. Something like that.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:29 pm
I think though that the people that their parents are not frum or not Jewish, do something for their parents on mothers/fathers day.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:30 pm
saddest post to write my mom died on chanukah no card to send no phone call to make
my dad died on pesach
my dh says you are not my mother so I dont get any gifts
my kids are selfish and never send a card or gift

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:30 pm
saddest post to write my mom died on chanukah no card to send no phone call to make
my dad died on pesach

jfk92

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I think it's from a religious Methodist origin. A lady in West Virginia made it to honor her mother. Something like that.

I dont believe this is correct. I was worried about it having religious roots and remember looking it up one year. I believe it actually started as an anti-war movement.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:33 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
my dad died on pesach

I’m so sorry that you are in so much pain. May Hashem bring you comfort.

jfk92

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
my dad died on pesach

Amother Brown pm me an address or email. Yes I know its not the same. But ill at least try to make you smile and feel recognized/appreciated.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:37 pm
I send my mom an iced coffee and muffin or a salad. Just for fun. I don’t reallly observe it.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:37 pm
I grew up in a family where it was definitely celebrated, but I personally no longer do. I don’t believe in celebrating holidays other than our Yomim Tovim.

singleagain

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:38 pm
It wasn't religious at all. Anna Jarvis wanted to honor her mother. After her mother died she campaigned to give a word of thanks and a flower to mother's.

She never had children and eventually came to have the holiday she created, btw

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 12:45 pm
I would rather not stay in bed long enough for my kids to get me breakfast, which I'd prefer to eat in the kitchen, anyway Smile.

I'm a pretty no-fuss person anyway.

But in any case - I don't feel obligated to do a custom that is not sourced in my own religion or family. My mother didn't celebrate it, my grandmother didn't, etc....there's no source for it in the Torah....and I don't either.

Chloe22

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 1:14 pm
I used to celebrate it with my mom when she was alive.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 1:18 pm
Absotively. The unfortunate thing is the wording. MD is a day for celebrating mothers, which is different from honoring them. It would make no sense to honor someone one day a year and disrespect her the other 364. But celebrating, that's a whole nother ball game. If you celebrated someone every day, the celebration would become routine and lose its meaning. Lehavdil, we remember yetziat mitzrayim every day, do we not? But we celebrate it once a year.

Mother's Day is not essential to my existence, but given that it is observed in the society in which I live, I appreciate the recognition and celebration and would feel really bad if my dc failed to at least call to wish me happy mother's day. For some women, it is one of the few days or maybe even the only day that their children or grandchildren visit or call. For that alone it's worthwhile.

I have never bought, nor do I buy now, the "every day is mother's day in yahadus" line. (Not even when I first heard it in about second grade. Stupid I wasn't.) Very few mothers are celebrated by their kids every day.

FTR I am FFB.

rachel0615

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 1:32 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
my dad died on pesach

This is heartbreaking
Can u tell DH how that makes you feel? Is there something you can do for yourself!!??

mommyhood

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 1:43 pm
I grew up celebrating and always found it such a pressure. I don’t celebrate or expect my kids to celebrate but it has nothing to do with it not being part of my religion, I’m happy to ‘celebrate’ July 4th and have a nice BBQ if it’s fun and convenient for me and my family I just don’t like the expectations that Mother’s Day has.
I do call my grandmother because it’s important to her. I just have to try and avoid answering when she asks how we’re celebrating, she wouldn’t understand that we don't do anything.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics