Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Anyone else have a kid taking an AP?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 6:03 pm
Are you as frustrated and confused as I am? With all the details and ways that they are checking for plagiarism and eliminating the multiple choice? With all the technical things we need to know and all the things that can go wrong? I want to just hit my head against the wall. I am so sorry for these kids.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 6:06 pm
Sorry but what is a AP?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 6:13 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Sorry but what is a AP?

In the US, high school students can take standardized Advanced Placement tests to get college credit for specific courses. They take a whole year long course leading up to it. In order for them not to lose the whole year, the College Board has arranged for them to take a very modified exam from home computers and submit online.

At least for my son's test, they are allowing them to take it open book and giving only analytical questions. So the prep is very different. And the cybersecurity is intense- College Board is combing the internet and social media to check for plagiarism. And if you have tech issues that mess you up, you have to retake the test in June.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 6:27 pm
Yes! My daughter is actually taking 4! I also found it confusing but their latest information seemed well thought out and planned. Remember that to go on on Monday to try everything and make sure it works.

I’m so relieved that at least she has a way to test. She has worked so hard this year!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 7:08 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Yes! My daughter is actually taking 4! I also found it confusing but their latest information seemed well thought out and planned. Remember that to go on on Monday to try everything and make sure it works.

I’m so relieved that at least she has a way to test. She has worked so hard this year!

I agree that I'm grateful there is a way to test. But I'm so worried that the system will glitch when everyone is trying to submit at once and anyone whose work doesn't submit right will have to retake in June. My kid's AP is on the first day, and I imagine there woll be issues to work out.

And hatzlachah to your daughter!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics