Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Zohar

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:25 am
I saw an old thread about this name from 7 years ago but wondering if things have changed. If we used this for a girl, does it have any negative connotations? What types of families would use this name typically?

I also like the sounds of Noa or Eden but they feel so overdone these days....

CiCi

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:29 am
Zohar is a male name. Think of how the baby will feel as a girl in school and later in life. I don't think they'll be too comfortable with a boy's name.

Why don't you give the name Zohara? That is the female version of the name Zohar.

grace413

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:30 am
CiCi wrote:
Zohar is a male name. Think of how the baby will feel as a girl in school and later in life. I don't think they'll be too comfortable with a boy's name.

Why don't you give the name Zohara? That is the female version of the name Zohar.

Depends on what circles you're in. In DL circles it's also a girls name.

CiCi

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:32 am
grace413 wrote:
Depends on what circles you're in. In DL circles it's also a girls name.

Can you explain what DL means?

Last edited by CiCi on Fri, May 01 2020, 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:33 am
It's actually widely used for women too, so I'm not concerned about the gender aspect of the name. My question pertains more to how the name is generally perceived in Israel and whether it is associated with a particular "type" or it's just a standard Israeli name.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:34 am
CiCi wrote:
Can you explain what DL means?

She means daati leumi. So it's an acceptable name then?

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:37 am
eden is a nice name

Rappel

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:38 am
I know a few adult Zohars, from all walks of life. Mostly women, one or two men. I don't know in which sector they grew up. I don't hear anyone naming their babies Zohar now in my circles, but I don't think anyone would bat an eyelash if they met one. Just like Hadar, or Yaarah - it keeps coming around.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:47 am
Rappel wrote:
I know a few adult Zohars, from all walks of life. Mostly women, one or two men. I don't know in which sector they grew up. I don't hear anyone naming their babies Zohar now in my circles, but I don't think anyone would bat an eyelash if they met one. Just like Hadar, or Yaarah - it keeps coming around.

I know a 7 year old girl named Zohar. So some people are still using it. Her family isn't frum but they still send her to the Hebrew school.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:48 am
Rappel wrote:

We were also talking about the name Hadar. It's pretty. But then when I was looking it up, I learned that she was a descendant of Esav. I know separately it has its own meaning, and maybe I should just look more into the source, but I thought it might be awkward if that was really where it came from.

CiCi

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She means daati leumi. So it's an acceptable name then?

I'm not sure what your question is supposed to mean, it seems sort of sarcastic but I'll bite.

I had assumed Zohar was an exclusively male name because I know some Israeli men with that name. But I'm certainly not the expert on names given in the DL community.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names