Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Friday Purim: Purim Suedah vs Shabbos Dinner

Starhavah

Post Wed, Jan 30 2008, 11:11 pm
Ok, here is the deal. DH and I are the only frummies in our respective families. Everyone else will be working a full day on Friday and NOT having a Purim suedah. Shabbos starts around 6pm. I want to invite DH's family (mine does not live in the area). Can I call Purim suedah for 5pm or 5:30pm and extend the meal into shabbat (assuming we light on time and keep all of the laws of shabbat once it starts of course) or does once we light the Shabbos candles does that effectively end the Purimness of the meal eventhough we haven't benched yet? Would we be able to make kiddush with the Purim meal still in progress or do we have to end the Purim suedah (bench), reset for Shabbos and then make kiddush?

Star Havah

Hannah!

Post Thu, Jan 31 2008, 12:02 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

YALT

Post Thu, Jan 31 2008, 12:23 am
My sister has a chabad house, and she was told there is a way to make the seudah start on Fri. afternoon, and lead into Shabbos. She's trying to figure out how exactly she wants to do her Purim Program. She said she's gotta figure out all the details, and that she needs to discuss it with the Rov. So I'd imagine that asking is your best bet.

Starhavah

Post Fri, Feb 01 2008, 11:22 am
Thanks for your replies. I sent an email to my Rav. I will let you all know what he says.

Star Havah

Hannah!

Post Fri, Feb 01 2008, 7:04 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Sat, Feb 02 2008, 1:56 pm
Are you quite sure your relatives will be working, since it is a non-Jewish holiday? (good friday)

But yes, I just heard a rav say you can do this - start seudah b4 shabbos, break for maariv, candlelighting kiddush etc and then resume (or start again) But it is complicated.

Starhavah

Post Sat, Feb 02 2008, 9:29 pm
Raisin wrote:
Are you quite sure your relatives will be working, since it is a non-Jewish holiday? (good friday)

Cool! I did not know it was a Xian holiday. That makes it much easier thanks! That is what happens when you work in the Jewish world. You never know when the secular holidays are Smile

Star Havah
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics