Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School to the right vs school to the left.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 4:10 am
For the coming school year (if it ever comes) we were debating between two schools for our daughter going into first grade.
Our family is modern yeshivish/borderline DL in Hashkafa, Chareidi for the most part in dress.....
(Currently living in Israel, RBS)
The school that we thought would be a perfect match for us is giving us a hard time.
At the interview itself the principle did not really give us much time and told us to start looking into other options since they have a really full registration and can't guarantee anything. This school is a bit more to the left with a much better curriculum. we have activated some pull but nothing doing. So far we haven't gotten a final answer from them.
The another school which is a bit more to the right of our family, accepted us on the spot at our interview and we did not put up any shows although we were dressed up in interview style.
The principle was so nice and genuinely interested in what we had to say.
She spent a nice amount of time speaking with our daughter. And left the door open while she was speaking to her. (in the other school I was really bothered that the door was closed when my daughter was in there)
It would be nice to send to the school that was welcoming to us but I am worried that this school will be to much to the right for us.

WWYD?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 4:13 am
Based on your post I would totally go to the school that was welcoming and nice. Start off on the right foot.
Do you know people who send there?
As school can look more "relaxed" from the inside -- so based on what you wrote I would totally send there and not be concerned about "a bit more to the right">
Much hatzlocha!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 5:52 am
It depends on so many factors.
Is the school to the right only to the right in terms of principal and teachers, or also in terms of student population?
How much is it to the right? Will your dd feel uncomfortable having friends over? (TV or computer out, secular books out, etc)
Will your dd's classmates possibly not be allowed to visit because you are not as right wing?
Will you feel pressure to change anything about your lifestyle?
Is the student population heterogeneous, and includes people like you?

In general, best to send where you are most welcomed. However, sending more to the right comes with its own risks.

amother
Black

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 5:55 am
My mother always told me “go where you are wanted” in Yiddish.
Down the line if you need to discuss situations or issues with the school with whom will you be most comfortable. Who will listen?

Have you spoken to parents who send to both schools. Are they happy?

Rappel

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 5:55 am
I would send to the school which is run by an intelligent educator, whom has a finger on the pulse of the teachers and each student.

Academics you can learn at home. Mentschlichkeit comes through the environment you're immersed in daily.

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 5:58 am
If the other school won't take your daughter, you won't have much of a choice...

If they will take her, you will send her there anyway, because you prefer that school...

So where's the question?

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 6:02 am
It’s a no brainer. The school that cares and listens and accepted you
I never understand why parents fight to get into a school that doesn’t want them.
You did your hishtadlus, but the one above has other plans.

amother
White

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:20 am
Btdt, much better to trust in Hashem and go where you are wanted.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 11:10 am
My oldest is a toddler, but I'd like to send to a more right wing school, because I'd like to be more right wing than I am now. It's hard because I'm a BT who didn't really study much before getting married, working a full time job and having kids. But I'd like my kids to be more observant than I am. BUT I'd even be willing to send to a secular school if I thought that was best for the child (if the religious schools were mean and my child was suffering there, etc).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics