Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What English name for Chana?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:14 pm
I’m thinking Hannah. But Anne is also a possibility. Anyone have a Chana or is one herself, what English name fits the most? If you have this name and don’t have an English name, does the mispronunciation become bothersome?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:16 pm
Hannah.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:18 pm
My grandmother was Chana. Her legal name was Anne.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:20 pm
Dd name is Chana Rochel. In daily life she's Chana, but for legal purposes we use her 2nd name because I didn't think Chana would go over well. Rachel (spelled with an A) can go both ways so that's on all her legal docs. Funny thing is my non-Jewish friends automatically assume and call her Hannah bec they hear me call her Chana. I never bothered to correct it so she's sometimes Hannah and sometimes Rachel and sometimes both.

Anon for obvious reasons.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:22 pm
I know people who kept chana their legal name TMI . They get all kinds of pronunciations, like "shaina" or "tchohna" . I'd still keep it though.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:28 pm
Hannah is Chana. It's a beautiful name and I have only ever come across righteous people with this name, including those who aren't Jewish.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:36 pm
I'm Chana and my legal name is Hannah. I really do not like the name. When I get round to it, one of these days/months/years, I plan to legally change my name to Chana.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:38 pm
Hannah is a palindrome, which I think is a positive.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:43 pm
I know a few Chana’s that are Cheryl in English

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:46 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Dd name is Chana Rochel. In daily life she's Chana, but for legal purposes we use her 2nd name because I didn't think Chana would go over well. Rachel (spelled with an A) can go both ways so that's on all her legal docs. Funny thing is my non-Jewish friends automatically assume and call her Hannah bec they hear me call her Chana. I never bothered to correct it so she's sometimes Hannah and sometimes Rachel and sometimes both.

I get the thought process behind using the middle name as the English name but I’m resistant to this. I feel like this might create the need to maintain two identities. Going between 2 different names. And more possibly. Like a frum doctor who sees Rachel listed might call her Rochel.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:46 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I'm Chana and my legal name is Hannah. I really do not like the name. When I get round to it, one of these days/months/years, I plan to legally change my name to Chana.

What makes you feel that way if you don’t mind sharing?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:47 pm
I'm a Chana, and that's my legal name. It can be a fun icebreaker or conversation starter in some situations when people attempt to pronounce it. I let them call me what they want. Hana, Conna, Tshana, I've heard it all. I tell them I'm Hana with a C, and that sometimes gets me Channah. All good.

When I was younger my dad spelled my name Chane on all the legal documents. I was therefore known as Chain. I changed it to Chana when I got married.

Now I have a daughter Chava and let me tell you... THAT gets confusing.

Scratching Head

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:48 pm
I’m Hannah

thunderstorm

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:57 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
Hannah is a palindrome, which I think is a positive.

When I was growing up my friends called me “Miss Palendrome” because both my first AND last names were able to be read backwards and forwards.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:58 pm
I'm known professionally as Anna or Hannah but my legal name is Chana.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:00 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

My DD is Chana Rachel too Smile

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:01 pm
Hannah is a classic name, and has become somewhat trendy in the past 10 years (like other Biblical names, such as Sarah, Rachael, Leah, and Miriam). Not for any religious reasons, it's just become in vogue.
I work in a public school and have had many girls with the name. Sometimes multiples in a class.
Anna is pretty popular, too.
Anne is classic, too, but not trendy.
I'd probably go with Hannah.

simcha2

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:04 pm
I'm a big believer in not having a two different names (a name and a legal name) - the whole mitzrayim thing.

My kids' names range from easy to impossible to pronounce for those unfamiliar. But we used to live in a city with a diverse population and if it didn't stop any other group from naming what they chose I certainly don't think frum Jews need to worry.

Just my 2 cents.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I get the thought process behind using the middle name as the English name but I’m resistant to this. I feel like this might create the need to maintain two identities. Going between 2 different names. And more possibly. Like a frum doctor who sees Rachel listed might call her Rochel.

I did this for my son - very difficult to pronounce first name, easy translation for middle which I made his legal name. I think for him it was worth it because his first name is harder (“ch” in middle), but it can get a little confusing.

DD is legally Chaya. We get lots of Kaya or Ch-aya but it’s not too bad. And I have a friend Chaya who works in a secular environment. If you don’t like the translations, it’s really ok to just use the name as is.

Maryann

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 8:14 pm
Caryn
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names