Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What English name for Chana?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:03 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I'm a big believer in not having a two different names (a name and a legal name) - the whole mitzrayim thing.

My kids' names range from easy to impossible to pronounce for those unfamiliar. But we used to live in a city with a diverse population and if it didn't stop any other group from naming what they chose I certainly don't think frum Jews need to worry.

Just my 2 cents.

Chana and Hannah really are the same name. So I don't see any contradiction with this. It's the pronunciation that is different. Like Devorah and Deborah. Avraham and Abraham. Etc.

amother
Green

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:13 pm
I have a chana and I love the name! Her legal name is hannah and we call her hannah banana a lot at home. She lovess when we call her hannah banana!

amother
Wine

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I get the thought process behind using the middle name as the English name but I’m resistant to this. I feel like this might create the need to maintain two identities. Going between 2 different names. And more possibly. Like a frum doctor who sees Rachel listed might call her Rochel.

I’m also Chana Rochel, with Rachel as my legal name. And that’s exactly what happens. Frum people who don’t know me assume my name is Rochel.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:19 pm
my sil name is chani and her English name is Carolyn. my daughter's name is chana esther and we put chani on her birth certificate she is named after her grandmother whose name actually was Hannah but we didn't like that name

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:21 pm
The Chanas I know who have English names are Hannahs in English.

r1

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:32 pm
I like Anne a lot

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:32 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I'm a big believer in not having a two different names (a name and a legal name) - the whole mitzrayim thing.

My kids' names range from easy to impossible to pronounce for those unfamiliar. But we used to live in a city with a diverse population and if it didn't stop any other group from naming what they chose I certainly don't think frum Jews need to worry.

Just my 2 cents.

That's an interesting point.
When I was a teen I didn't really understand the necessity of having an English name (I have one) but as I'm getting older I appreciate it much more. Working in a corporate, almost 100% non-Jewish workplace, I feel like having an English name that my coworkers call me allows me to maintain a separation between my "work" identity and my "home" identity. That is to say, when my coworkers are calling me a name that isn't what my husband (for example) calls me, it's easier for me to remember who I am, where I am, and that I need to be careful with my interactions with them.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:51 pm
I know a chana who's legal name is Grace. I thought that's lovely.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:59 pm
My grandma was Chana fruma her English name was annie Frances
My neice is called annie after her she would have been 120

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
That's an interesting point.
When I was a teen I didn't really understand the necessity of having an English name (I have one) but as I'm getting older I appreciate it much more. Working in a corporate, almost 100% non-Jewish workplace, I feel like having an English name that my coworkers call me allows me to maintain a separation between my "work" identity and my "home" identity. That is to say, when my coworkers are calling me a name that isn't what my husband (for example) calls me, it's easier for me to remember who I am, where I am, and that I need to be careful with my interactions with them.

This is so true. I like the way you explained that. In both my parents families everyone had their real Hebrew name and a secular name that went on their birth certificate. I gave all my kids non-Jewish names. Friends and family use our Hebrew names.
My college professors and lab partners used my English name. It keeps our real relationships close and our acquaintances from work distant and separate.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:49 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I know a chana who's legal name is Grace. I thought that's lovely.

I've had people ask me what the name Chana means, so after explaining that it's the Hebrew original of Hannah, I tell them it can also be translated as Grace.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:51 pm
Grace

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:06 am
We were told that my grandmother's name, Elaine, is translated into Hebrew as Chana.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:10 am
Iymnok wrote:
We were told that my grandmother's name, Elaine, is translated into Hebrew as Chana.

Interesting. I'd think "Ora" would be a lot closer.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:54 am
Anne or
Anna

Elfrida

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:08 am
The translation would be Grace, which I like better than Hanna. For some reason to me it sounds a lot more dignified.If you want the names to sound similar though, go for Hanna.

Last edited by Elfrida on Mon, May 04 2020, 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:09 am
I am Chana. I’m named for my great grandmother whose English name was Annabel interestingly her sister Hannah’s Hebrew name was Henya to confuse things.
I live in Israel and have no other name when I’m abroad and have a short interaction (say order coffee or in a shop) I use Hannah to avoid confusion.

zaq

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:01 am
Hannah, Anna, Ann(e), Annette, Ana, Anita, Anastasia, Anissa, Anya, Grace, Gracia, Nan, Nancy, Hendel, Hensha, Hinka

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:04 am
My name is Chana Leah, and my legal name is Hannah. I was named after an ancestor whose legal name (by which she was generally known) was Anna, which was the local language's version of the name.

I grew up going by Chana Leah, at home, at school... the only reason why I knew my legal name was when I would go to the doctor and see it on the pharmacy's medicine bottles, or had to fill out my name on a standardized test. However, except for at home and with childhood friends I generally go by Hannah now. While I know that plenty of people don't care about people mispronouncing their name, it's something that really bothers me, especially since I had all kinds of nicknames based on the name Chana as a kid that I hated. I got sick of going out into the world and trying to explain how Chana Leah was pronounced, so I just gave up, and now I'm mostly Hannah. I genuinely like the name Chana Leah better, and miss when it was my only name, but I just couldn't deal with it anymore.

Now I'm just kind of like, I don't have kids yet but when I do I want to give them names without a CH (the biggest issue) and preferably relatively easy to pronounce. Unfortunately, though, my grandmothers, who I loved dearly and would love to name my future children after, both have names with CH in them, so I will have to figure something out by that point.

simcha2

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
This is so true. I like the way you explained that. In both my parents families everyone had their real Hebrew name and a secular name that went on their birth certificate. I gave all my kids non-Jewish names. Friends and family use our Hebrew names.
My college professors and lab partners used my English name. It keeps our real relationships close and our acquaintances from work distant and separate.

I hear that. I guess I'm of the opinion that that is important that your "real" self, the proud Jew, is also what's shown to the outside world. As I referenced above, when in "mitzrayim" standing openly as a yid.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names