Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Help me plant flowers and veggies
1  2  Next

emmes

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 12:51 pm
My kids and I want to plant some easy veggies and flowers. I dont know much about planting, besides repotting those little flowers you get ar a nursery. Can anyone tell us what's good to plant and how? I have a porch with direct sunlight until 2-3:00pm.

Regarding flowers, is there something that grows fast and tall enough to be able to cut them for shabbos after a few weeks? Maybe tulips, or other bulbs? I'll be planting on a porch (vs in the ground) but I have room large pots. Can it work?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 12:55 pm
tell them what light and shade conditions you have at the nursery when you go to choose.

SingALong

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 12:58 pm
Vegetables are easier if you buy it as a ready small plant, and then repot into a larger pot. However, if your kids are patient they can do seeds and watch it grow from the first leaf...it’s really exciting! What plants you can do depends on your zone, you can google. I’m in N.J., and I find it easy to grow
Sugar snap peas,
cherry tomatoes
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Maybe squash

For flowers I don’t do it from seed...I’m too impatient and want it right away. I go to my local nursery, pick out from their trays of various flowers and greenery and replant it into a larger pot. Or I’ll buy a ready made pot and just put it out. As for flowers to cut for Shabbos table, that may come more from a perennial or bulb like peony, tulip, hydrangea, etc. those are plants that have some flowers. Tulip season Is almost over, I wouldn’t plant that now. Rem when you trim off a hydrangea or peony, the plant will take time to regrow another bloom. So you might miss the blooms for awhile if you cut off the first week or two.

sky

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:05 pm
It’s the wrong season for bulbs. You plant in the fall and it blooms in the spring.

If you have Maror heads that is fun. Soak until it grows roots. It really grows roots and stem fast. Then plant outside. It takes like 2 years to mature.

I have the most luck with plants from nursery.
But have planted morning glory and petunias from seeds. Impatients have also worked well for us.

I enjoy planting smaller veggies that ripen fast. Like cherry tomatoes, baby bell peppers, pickling cucumbers. Green beans are also really easy to plant from seeds.

I always have more luck planting in pots then in the ground - my soul is horrible.

Pick plants made for containers. If only planting 2 of each type is just get from a nursery. You are more guaranteed success and it may be similar price to buying packages of seeds

For full disclosure we don’t have the most successful garden every year. But my kids enjoy it tons and we always get veggies. However I always spend way more money then we pick.

Rappel

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:22 pm
Everyone else suggested some great veggies. I'll just add to the list eggplant, and I'm pretty sure you can grow pumpkins and watermelons, so long as you have room for them to rest outside the container!

As for flowers: geraniums grow quickly, are really hard to kill, and have very pretty flowers. They normally shoot up into a bush, but should do well in a nice sized container, and they take cutting very well.

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, May 04 2020, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Elfrida

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:29 pm
Agree with Rappel that geraniums are very easy plants, but they are also easy to overwater. Keep their soil fairly dry and they should do well. I don't think you can easily cut them for the Shabbos table though. Just enjoy them in the pots.

Rappel

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:33 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Agree with Rappel that geraniums are very easy plants, but they are also easy to overwater. Keep their soil fairly dry and they should do well. I don't think you can easily cut them for the Shabbos table though. Just enjoy them in the pots.

We used to put them on the Shabbat table Smile they're not long-stemmed roses, but they were long enough, and the colour was brilliant. unfortunately, at some point I developed an aversion to the smell, so I don't keep them anymore. But they're a lovely flower.

Rappel

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:43 pm
If you're not looking for speed, but yes looking for a nice perennial which keeps on giving: peonies are the BOMB. Gorgeous, huge, and deeply scented. They take a few years to really take off, but they're show-stoppers.

sky

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:20 pm
@rappel - thanks for the ideas. My boys really want to plant perrenials but I’m not sure we’re to start.

Teomima

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:25 pm
Herbs are great to grow: parsley, oregano, basil, rosemary, etc. They're very easy to take care of, they smell amazing, and every time you cook you can send the kids out with scissors to snip some fresh spices.

gamanit

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:31 pm
Sugar snap peas were a huge hit by us last year. Those were really easy to plant.

We're doing radishes now and so far so good.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:38 pm
I used to make a really nice garden on my deck every year. I had lots of success with zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, string beans, basil
Last year I built myself a huge garden, and it did not work as well as on my porch.
This year we are revamping the huge garden we have, and hoping for the best.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:41 pm
Upside down tomato planters can hang from the side of a porch.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:46 pm
To stores from small plants work very well
You cZn order online. We used to get from Loews or Home Depot
Micro greens and herbs work well and quick
Sunflowers grow really big and tall quickly
You cN grow all types of beans by planting all different types of Chile this beans

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:59 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
To stores from small plants work very well
You cZn order online. We used to get from Loews or Home Depot
Micro greens and herbs work well and quick
Sunflowers grow really big and tall quickly
You cN grow all types of beans by planting all different types of Chile this beans

Tomatoes!

Nadja

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 4:08 pm
Can you do.hanging? You can do tomatoes and peppers in hanging "thingys" specifically for them. Then plant some cucumbers, bean, peas in pots. Peas need some thing to grow on, like a trellis.
Flowers, pansys are nice, and easy...so are geraniums

Tzippy323

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 7:11 pm
I do tons of planting, canning and making cheese too! Here is something your kids will love. Cut off the bottom 4 inches from a bunch of celery or romaine. Put large toothpicks through the sides and suspend them in water. The celery will start growing within 2 days. It takes a bit longer for the romaine. I do the major every year, and it does take two years to mature. Last year I grew potatoes in a laundry basket lined with a black trash bag. We used them for Rosh Hashanah.

You can grow basil, oregano, thyme, dill, parsley, from existing plants that you root, or seeds. When they mature, if you have more than you need, dry some.

And if you want to do something really cool, make cheese!

1 gallon red milk
3/4 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons pink himalaya salt
Juice of a fresh lime

Heat the milk while stirring, until 175 degrees, or until you barely see little bubbles forming on the side of the pot. Turn off the heat and stir in the vinegar. Stir well, cover the pot, and go live your life for 20 minutes. Strain the whey out, pressing the cheese gently. Place in a bowl and let sit a few minutes. Drain off any additional whey. Add the salt and lime juice and mix well. Place the cheese in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and sit a container of water on top. Place it in the fridge overnight. In the morning you will have cheese.

You can make it really special by mixing in chopped scallions, chopped chives, or minced garlic when you mix in the lime juice.

Yum!

Nadja

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 7:23 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:

And if you want to do something really cool, make cheese!

1 gallon red milk
3/4 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons pink himalaya salt
Juice of a fresh lime

Heat the milk while stirring, until 175 degrees, or until you barely see little bubbles forming on the side of the pot. Turn off the heat and stir in the vinegar. Stir well, cover the pot, and go live your life for 20 minutes. Strain the whey out, pressing the cheese gently. Place in a bowl and let sit a few minutes. Drain off any additional whey. Add the salt and lime juice and mix well. Place the cheese in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and sit a container of water on top. Place it in the fridge overnight. In the morning you will have cheese.

You can make it really special by mixing in chopped scallions, chopped chives, or minced garlic when you mix in the lime juice.

Yum!

Wow...I'm going to have to try this. Yum

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 7:36 pm
Zinnias! Take a while to bloom (like any plant from seed) but they’re tough, heat resistant, and the cut flowers do well in bouquets. Produce flowers all summer and into fall. And easy to grow.

Rappel

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:41 am
sky wrote:
@rappel - thanks for the ideas. My boys really want to plant perrenials but I’m not sure we’re to start.

Good for you! What do you want from your plants, what's the light/climate where you would plant them, and where would you plant them? (Containers in the window, around the edge of your porch, the far corner of your back garden etc.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening