Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Plural of milah (word)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:19 pm
The term 'perush hamilos' is correct. You may not have heard it before but if you look it up you'll see it isn't an error at all.

banana123

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:20 pm
Hillery wrote:
Let me reword. The plural of milah in the sense of a bris millah is milos.

I understood you. And that is proper Yinglish, I guess. (Though where I grew up, the Yinglish plural was brissim - also wrong.)

But it is incorrect.

Hillery

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:21 pm
מילות as plural of milah is found in Tanach and gemara. That is the correct form.

banana123

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
The term 'perush hamilos' is correct. You may not have heard it before but if you look it up you'll see it isn't an error at all.

Correct.

tryinghard

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:26 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Serious question,

Why wouldn't it be milei (מילי) shelah?

I think that מילי שאלה means “the words of/belonging to a question
Whereas
מילות שאלה - here “מילות” is the noun and “שאלה” the adjective

banana123

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:28 pm
Hillery wrote:
מילות as plural of milah is found in Tanach and gemara. That is the correct form.

As plural of bris milah? Care to share your sources from Tanach? Because I have not seen any.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow, pinkfridge and mimi1, sounds like you learned dikduk well!
I didn't- we basically filled out charts of the sheva Binyanim for four years in HS. Seminary didn't teach me that much more...

I'm going to change my OP, so that no one will get offended

I think Miri1 learned more than I.
Here's what: if someone uses it, they may be in the know and not ignorant. For you, use what's comfortable for you.

simcha2

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:43 pm
tryinghard wrote:
I think that מילי שאלה means “the words of/belonging to a question
Whereas
מילות שאלה - here “מילות” is the noun and “שאלה” the adjective

That makes sense. Thanks.

malki2

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:19 pm
banana123 wrote:
No - plural of bris milah, AFAIK, is בריתות מילה.
You have a lot of britot [milah] to go to this month.

No, the plural is בריתי מילה.

Hillery

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:45 pm
banana123 wrote:
As plural of bris milah? Care to share your sources from Tanach? Because I have not seen any.

As plural of milah when used as a noun not a qualifier.

Sorry, in torah it's only מולות, but in gemara it's מילות meaning many milos. It makes sense for the plural to be ות because מילה is feminine. Like the plural of ערלה is ערלות.

http://kodesh.snunit.k12.il/cg.....D7%AA

It would seem the usual plural in Tanach of מלה (word) is מלים. But פירוש המילות is the widely accepted expression, and as mentioned the middle Lubavitcher Rebbe has a sefer by that name.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:46 pm
Can't you just say "Mazel Tov on your twins" and send a nice present? King King

chanchy123

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:14 pm
malki2 wrote:
No, the plural is בריתי מילה.

It is not. The plural form is ברית is בריתות. Brisim is a Yiddishism I learned on Imamother.
You can say מילות as in the plural of מילה performing the circumcision.
מילות as in the plural of מילה word is used in יחס not sure how you’d use that in English. But in מילות קישור מילות יחס.
It is used in the Talmud as well as the plural of מילה. I can’t remember if it appears like that also in Tanach, but it’s an archaic form that is not used in modern Hebrew. Several words are used differently in the Torah and in Chazal. For example the Torah uses עץ while the Talmud uses אילן.
Not sure how that was posted anonymously- it’s me.
And yes the Talmudic language can slightly differ from Tanach. Many times modern Hebrew will follow Tanach rather than Talmudic Hebrew.

Hillery

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:32 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
It is not. The plural form is ברית is בריתות. Brisim is a Yiddishism I learned on Imamother.

The Yiddish is brissen.

malki2

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:36 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
מילות as in the plural of מילה word is used in יחס not sure how you’d use that in English. But in מילות קישור מילות יחס.
It is used in the Talmud as well as the plural of מילה. I can’t remember if it appears like that also in Tanach, but it’s an archaic form that is not used in modern Hebrew. Several words are used differently in the Torah and in Chazal. For example the Torah uses עץ while the Talmud uses אילן.
And yes the Talmudic language can slightly differ from Tanach. Many times modern Hebrew will follow Tanach rather than Talmudic Hebrew.

You are correct. I was wrong. It is בריתות מילה.

chanchy123

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:50 pm
Hillery wrote:
The Yiddish is brissen.

I don’t know Yiddish I was referring to the word used here which I can only assume comes from Yiddish.

chanchy123

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 3:51 pm
malki2 wrote:
You are correct. I was wrong. It is בריתות מילה.

I have an edge on you Hebrew is my first language, I make similar mistakes in English.

malki2

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 4:05 pm
Hillery wrote:
The Yiddish is brissen.

I don’t know how much you can rely on Yiddish for correct grammar. For example, in Yiddish they say Zchusim, when the correct word is Zechuyos/Zechuyot. Same with Shtusim vs Shtuyot. Which brings to mind a cute story where Rav Yosef Chaim Zonnenfeld ZTL corrected Biyalik on his grammar.

etky

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 4:26 pm
chanchy123 wrote:

The vocabulary and grammar of Lashon Chazal was hugely influenced by Aramaic, while Greek and Latin (and even Persian), to a lesser extent, also enriched Tannaitic and later rabbinic Hebrew with many loan words. Some scholars consider Lashon Chazal a separate dialect from Biblical Hebrew, although there is debate whether it was actually spoken or just a literary language.

Ora in town

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 4:39 pm
Milah like word or Mila like in brith mila?
for word, the plural is milim.
For the concept of "Mila" like in brith mila, I would assume there is no plural, you would just put Brit in plural, britot, but mila would remain singular...

Ora in town

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 4:41 pm
Hillery wrote:
The Yiddish is brissen.

...yeah, they also say "shabbossim" and it is "Shabatot", they say "Sthissim", and it is "Stuyiot", they say "shekoach" and it should "Yeyasher koachach(a)"...

I wonder where it comes from?
Lack of education in proper lashon kodesh?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions