Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
New finding regarding children in NYC hospitals

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 1:57 pm
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/new.....89801

Please file this away in your mind in case you hear of anything like this. There are many more cases of Kawasaki being diagnosed in ERs around the country. This is very unusual.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:20 pm
Yes we are seeing this at the children’s hospital that I work at

amother
Gold

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 2:31 pm
Wow. We’ve been seeing some of these symptoms in one of my kids...

ora_43

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:10 am
I don't know why this isn't getting more attention. So many of the plans to leave lockdown are based on the assumption that this sickness isn't serious for kids.

BH BH so far it seems like this is a rare complication. But still, potentially a game-changer.

And very important for parents to know so we can have an eye out.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:21 am
ora_43 wrote:
I don't know why this isn't getting more attention. So many of the plans to leave lockdown are based on the assumption that this sickness isn't serious for kids.

BH BH so far it seems like this is a rare complication. But still, potentially a game-changer.

And very important for parents to know so we can have an eye out.

Because 12 children is such a small number it’s basically nil. There are about 8.3 million people in NYC. About 1,739,256 of those are under 18. Let’s take the 14% on the low end infection rate Cuomos been giving. That’s 243,496 kids infected. That gives you a negative outcome rate of .005%. Knowing this, I will still definitely continue to let my kids play outside and will definitely send them to school when it’s open. This is pure panic po**.

ora_43

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:46 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Because 12 children is such a small number it’s basically nil. There are about 8.3 million people in NYC. About 1,739,256 of those are under 18. Let’s take the 14% on the low end infection rate Cuomos been giving. That’s 243,496 kids infected. That gives you a negative outcome rate of .005%. Knowing this, I will still definitely continue to let my kids play outside and will definitely send them to school when it’s open. This is pure panic po**.

You're speaking as if all the data is in. A few days ago, nobody was aware this existed at all, but now we know exactly what it is and what the odds are?

Not saying people should panic. Just strange to me that it's basically gone unnoticed, on this site anyway.

(also, what curse word is four letters long and starts with "po"? What Is this a British thing? can you say it again, but blur the first two letters this time?)

amother
Olive

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 8:03 am
ora_43 wrote:
You're speaking as if all the data is in. A few days ago, nobody was aware this existed at all, but now we know exactly what it is and what the odds are?

Not saying people should panic. Just strange to me that it's basically gone unnoticed, on this site anyway.

(also, what curse word is four letters long and starts with "po"? What Is this a British thing? can you say it again, but blur the first two letters this time?)

I think she meant p*rn

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:10 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:

No, its information. Our understanding of covid19 is evolving, and this may (or may not) be another element in the evolution of our knowledge.

On January 30, we had 7 confirmed cases of Covid19 in the US, and Trump said, "We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at the moment ...." On February 26, we had 58 confirmed cases, and Trump told us that "within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero."

Its May 5. More than 70,000 people in the US have died.

Let's not make that mistake again.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:24 am
I'm so scared. They are finding out new things every day. Caught it in my first trimester. So scared.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:36 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I'm so scared. They are finding out new things every day. Caught it in my first trimester. So scared.

B'shaa tova.

Talk to your OB or midwife. They can almost certainly provide you with reassurances based upon the progression of your pregnancy, and the tests and exams they perform.

Wishing you a healthy pregnancy and a perfect baby.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:38 am
This is so scary!!!!
Besides the fear of the medical part, this may indefinitely delay reopening schools.
I just dont know what the world will look like anymore anytime soon.
The world has completely fallen apart.
All because of one idiotic lab in china.
Biological warfare -- who wouldve ever thought it would happen.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:41 am
SixOfWands wrote:
No, its information. Our understanding of covid19 is evolving, and this may (or may not) be another element in the evolution of our knowledge.

On January 30, we had 7 confirmed cases of Covid19 in the US, and Trump said, "We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at the moment ...." On February 26, we had 58 confirmed cases, and Trump told us that "within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero."

Its May 5. More than 70,000 people in the US have died.

Let's not make that mistake again.

It's not impossible that what you're saying is accurate. However, at this point there's over a million confirmed cases in the U.S.. It's probably fair to multiply that number by at least 15 (likely more) to get the total real number of cases. So there's been a minimum of 15 million cases in the U.S.. At this point bh, there have been almost zero deaths of children. It's pretty reasonable to say that considering the high number of cases already and the low affect on children, that this is the way the virus works, in that it doesn't affect children.

The information we had a few months ago was from China. A country of well over 1 billion people who likes to pretend that everything is completely under control. Incredibly low infection and death rate. No person to person spread. Don't worry about thousands of Chinese citizens flying into your country. The government is doing a great job protecting it's citizens.
We were mislead into a false sense of security by the B.S. China was telling the world.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:49 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
It's not impossible that what you're saying is accurate. However, at this point there's over a million confirmed cases in the U.S.. It's probably fair to multiply that number by at least 15 (likely more) to get the total real number of cases. So there's been a minimum of 15 million cases in the U.S.. At this point bh, there have been almost zero deaths of children. It's pretty reasonable to say that considering the high number of cases already and the low affect on children, that this is the way the virus works, in that it doesn't affect children.

The information we had a few months ago was from China. A country of well over 1 billion people who likes to pretend that everything is completely under control. Incredibly low infection and death rate. No person to person spread. Don't worry about thousands of Chinese citizens flying into your country. The government is doing a great job protecting it's citizens.
We were mislead into a false sense of security by the B.S. China was telling the world.

What we do know is there is an unexpected increase in number of cases of Kawasaki (or Kawasaki like disease) in children (and not just in the US).

We also know that the cornavirus is spreading.

Correlation does not equal causation by default, but it also doesn't exclude it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
What we do know is there is an unexpected increase in number of cases of Kawasaki (or Kawasaki like disease) in children (and not just in the US).

We also know that the cornavirus is spreading.

Correlation does not equal causation by default, but it also doesn't exclude it.

It's not just that there's an increase in Kawasaki disease.

It's also that the vast majority of those cases - if not all of them - either tested positive for COVID-19 or had evidence of having recently recovered from COVID-19.

Meaning this isn't happening "stam" - it is connected to COVID-19.

Which makes sense because Kawasaki disease can appear after other illnesses as well.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:00 am
This was in the news a week or two ago in The UK. US hospitals should have been looking for it since then. This virus seems to be traveling west.

youngishbear

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:07 am
As others have said, this is not unique to Covid. It can be an immune response to any infection, though it's rare. It seems likely to assume the infection in these cases is Covid-19. Which means this disease does attack kids but BH most of them fight it off easily. That is not really new information.

I've been wondering whether we are or will be seeing an increase in autoimmune issues like Guillain-barre syndrome, which can be triggered from a regular flu or any infection.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:10 am
I think the point is that at this point no one knows enough about Covid19 to be able to unequivocally state what may or may not be true.

No one knows why some people get light or even symptom-less cases versus others who die - some quite suddenly. Some people who have risk factors recover and others who are considered to be low risk die.

There seems to be some people who have lingering effects of the disease and no one know whether or what there might be in terms of long term issues for survivors.

To the extent that there are spikes in certain diseases among survivors, all that one can say is that there might be a correlation. If that makes people think twice about loosening up their social distancing, then good. The only thing a single person can do for the health of themselves and their family AND for the greater good - is to social distance as much as possible and to wear masks in public.

Unfortunately no one knows what effect the disease has on the fetus because no one has given birth who had the disease.

It is why I am amazed that people are cavalier about risking getting the disease and/or infecting others. Even if there are no unknown long term issues, every day discoveries on best treatments are being made. It is probably better to get sick this week than it was two months ago and I am reasonably certain it will be better in terms of treatment protocols two months from now.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:19 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
It's not just that there's an increase in Kawasaki disease.

It's also that the vast majority of those cases - if not all of them - either tested positive for COVID-19 or had evidence of having recently recovered from COVID-19.

Meaning this isn't happening "stam" - it is connected to COVID-19.

Which makes sense because Kawasaki disease can appear after other illnesses as well.

Yes but if most if not all kids have been exposed to covid it actually doesn't mean much. The kids im assuming all had noses too

etky

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
This was in the news a week or two ago in The UK. US hospitals should have been looking for it since then. This virus seems to be traveling west.

Was in the news here in Israel about a week ago too.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel.....10620
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics