Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Tzena U’Rena
1  2  3  Next

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:00 pm
So- do you learn Tzena Urena?
Is there a specific print you recommend?

I smiled when I saw someone on another thread mention that she learns it daily. I think it’s beautiful to learn what so many of our grandmothers did and realized I have very little knowledge of what the sefer covers. Is it originally in Yiddish or Hebrew?

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:00 pm
Was always in Yiddish

amother
Pink

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:03 pm
It used to be in old yiddish which I devoured growing up, and is now available in chassidish yiddish which I devoured too.

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:04 pm
I understand yiddish but would be interested in a copy that includes an English translation in case my vocabulary ain’t up to par. Can anyone recommend one?

dankbar

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:07 pm
It tells you the parsha in Yiddish in story form.

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:09 pm
dankbar wrote:
It tells you the parsha in Yiddish in story form.

Is it just story? Medrashim?
I’m finding it strange I know so little about a sefer that used to be integral to Jewish women.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 10:11 pm
I think a big part if it is midrashim but like they say the proof if the pudding... maybe give eichlers a call? If you live local they deliver

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:01 pm
It is mostly midrashim, very easy read. Nothing heavy you need to dissect. I have the old Yiddish version and I used to finish it in an hour or so on Friday night (before the kids came around).
I haven't looked at it in a long while. I'd be happy to lend if you're in Monsey and want to try it. Let me know and I'll pm you.
I doubt its available with English translation. I didn't know its still a hot item.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:34 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I think a big part if it is midrashim but like they say the proof if the pudding... maybe give eichlers a call? If you live local they deliver

Eichler's ships too.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:42 pm
I found an English translation one in my local Judaica store

mommy9

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:42 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
It is mostly midrashim, very easy read. Nothing heavy you need to dissect. I have the old Yiddish version and I used to finish it in an hour or so on Friday night (before the kids came around).
I haven't looked at it in a long while. I'd be happy to lend if you're in Monsey and want to try it. Let me know and I'll pm you.
I doubt its available with English translation. I didn't know its still a hot item.

It's been out in English since the 1980s. Smile it's called the Weekly Midrash.

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:45 pm
Wow, I’m surprised I had no idea that it was a parsha compilation. I always thought it was divrei musar or philosophy for women. Like a Mesilas Yesharim.

Last edited by tigerwife on Mon, May 04 2020, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:45 pm
mommy9 wrote:
It's been out in English since the 1980s. Smile it's called the Weekly Midrash.

Wow! I never knew that. My mom had one volume, and I read that as a kid, but it somehow seemed more thorough than the Tzena Urena I got when I got married, though also easy and light. I think I started reading it when I was 9 or so.
And, I found it on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....b5e47

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:46 pm
I have the tzena ur'ena in english that I got from my sister as a bas mitzvah present 🤗 I loved it then and love it now. It's great.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:48 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Wow, I’m surprised I had no idea that it was a parsha compilation. I always thought it was divrei musar or philosophy for women. Like a Mesilas Yesharim.

Misilas Yesharim is not for women?
I think I have one in Yiddish that I used to read/learn at some point (pre-internet day Banging head)

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Wow! I never knew that. My mom had one volume, and I read that as a kid, but it somehow seemed more thorough than the Tzena Urena I got when I got married, though also easy and light. I think I started reading it when I was 9 or so.
And, I found it on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....b5e47

I just spontaneously ordered this but does anyone know if this version contains the original Yiddish text?

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:50 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Misilas Yesharim is not for women?
)

Sure it is. I thought the T”R was similar.
Either way, I’ve ordered it, and if it’s a simpler sefer that’s fine as well- I can learn it with my daughters iyh.

Fox

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 11:57 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I found an English translation one in my milocal Judaica store

Same here -- highly recommend.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:18 am
I read it..mostly on shabbos..
I do have a lot of questions though on it, bc the lingo is old style. And its not detailed.
Id love to discuss some thoughts about it

CiCi

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:31 am
Many Yiddish speaking kallahs don't get Tzena Irena's anymore like they used to give for every kallah.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational