Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Tzena U’Rena
Previous  1  2  3

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:12 am
mommy9 wrote:
It only has English.

Thanks.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:46 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I don't call that explicit and would feel comfotable having young kids read that.
Do you call the Aseres Hadiboros and 3 harog val yaavor explicit?
My Megillas Rus is missing a few pages where these kind of 'explicit' details are probably written about. I know it must be a printing malfunction, but its kind of funny...
PS. Its Must be a temp senior moment: Its Dovid and Batsheva.

Youre right,I thought so- its Dovids wife...
I forgot Shaul's wife name. Was it Michal?

Im not saying its explicit, but I was saying its more than Midrash Mesaper...it has details about niddah, relations, how babies are born (girls facing upward, boys backwards) and stuff about zerah of a man.

Now some ppl wouldnt mind their kids reading about it. Mine would def have a lot of questions. I also think many things dont pertain to us today. Im not saying kids cant read it, its written in an old fashioned way..

For ex:
*It says twins are weaker than a single person, bc the strength is divided between them...
*Rich people suffer birth pains more than the poor, bc they dont have the punishment of toiling for bread...
*Women have a worse smell than men bc we are created from a bone, men are from earth...
*The bigger talmid chochom the person is, the stronger his yetzer horah is....

I myself have some questions on it, I wonder what my teens would ask..

Wasnt it written by noshim tzidkonios many years back when there was no school for girls?

CiCi

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 12:57 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:

Im not saying its explicit, but I was saying its more than Midrash Mesaper...it has details about niddah, relations, how babies are born (girls facing upward, boys backwards) and stuff about zerah of a man.

Now some ppl wouldnt mind their kids reading about it. Mine would def have a lot of questions. I also think many things dont pertain to us today. Im not saying kids cant read it, its written in an old fashioned way..

For ex:
*It says twins are weaker than a single person, bc the strength is divided between them...
*Rich people suffer birth pains more than the poor, bc they dont have the punishment of toiling for bread...
*Women have a worse smell than men bc we are created from a bone, men are from earth...

Wasnt it written by noshim tzidkonios many years back when there was no school for girls?

There are hundreds of pages (I believe) of the tzena irena. If you sprinkle a page long list between hundreds of pages you get nothing that would raise too many questions.

The tzena-rena was written by Yaacov Ben Itzchak Ashkenazi in the 1590s)

cbsp

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:04 am
I received the English Tzenna U'rena set as a bas mitzvah gift. It was among my most favorite gifts and a treasured possession until today.

I used to bring the last volume with me to camp each year - in addition to the parshios it contains a vivid account of the churban.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:22 am

For ex:

Michal was Shaul's daughter. I don't know Shaul's wife's name. I don't know if it was ever mentioned anyplace. Batsheva was Dovid's wife and Shlomo's mother.
You seem to have a great memory and/or you probably studied it in depth. I only read/learned it in the early years of my marriage, and that was over a decade ago so I can't recall the specific examples you posted, although I do remember others.
Here's the thing about kids. Mine aren't that inquisitive, and they (unfortanately) don't yearn to read the tzena urena or similar. I was reading the English version at a pretty young age, but they have comics and novels...if they do pick it up, I will be delighted. I believe alot of references will go above their head at a younger age, and at an older age, I'm comfortable answering their questions or having DH answering what I can't.
The first and last examples you mentioned are universal ones I've heard, not from TU.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:32 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Michal was Shaul's daughter. He had many wives, none of which I can name. Batsheva was Dovid's wife and Shaul's mother.
You seem to have a great memory and/or you probably studied it in depth. I only read/learned it in the early years of my marriage, and that was over a decade ago so I can't recall the specific examples you posted, although I do remember others.
Here's the thing about kids. Mine aren't that inquisitive, and they (unfortanately) don't yearn to read the tzena urena or similar. I was reading the English version at a pretty young age, but they have comics and novels...if they do pick it up, I will be delighted. I believe alot of references will go above their head at a younger age, and at an older age, I'm comfortable answering their questions or having DH answering what I can't.
The first and last examples you mentioned are universal ones I've heard, not from TU.

My memory is terrible...and I didnt read it in a long time!
My daughter wouldnt think of reading it either...if yes, she'd ask more than my son, just bc the boys learn these things as a matter of fact. Girls ask more questions (As per my seminary rabbi said, he noticed the difference when teaching boys and girls)

Anyways I read it in yiddish, and perhaps the english version may be written differently.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:35 am
CiCi wrote:
There are hundreds of pages (I believe) of the tzena irena. If you sprinkle a page long list between hundreds of pages you get nothing that would raise too many questions.

The tzena-rena was written by Yaacov Ben Itzchak Ashkenazi in the 1590s)

I am fascinated by it, I just dont know why some things I couldnt relate to. Even though it makes sense, things are not so clear today.

I thought it was written by women. Thanks for the info!

CiCi

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 1:59 am
I am fascinated by it, I just dont know why some things I couldnt relate to. Even though it makes sense, things are not so clear today.

I thought it was written by women. Thanks for the info!

Well, it it's nice to be fascinated by something so holy!

This is our heritage but it happened quite a while ago during different civilizations and to people much greater than us so it's normal not to be able to relate to everything.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 2:26 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Michal was Shaul's daughter. He had many wives, none of which I can name. Batsheva was Dovid's wife and Shaul's mother.

Michal and Batsheva were both Dovid's wives.
Michal is also the daughter of Shaul.
Batsheva is the mother of Shlomo, the king with the most wives

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 2:31 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
Michal and Batsheva were both Dovid's wives.
Michal is also the daughter of Shaul.
Batsheva is the mother of Shlomo, the king with the most wives

Thanks for the correction. I'm going back to edit. It doesn't even make sense, considering that Dovid is Shaul's SIL. I guess is the Sh in both names that triggered my senior moment. Sad

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 2:35 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I'm going back to edit. It doesn't even make sense, considering that Dovid is Shaul's SIL. I guess is the Sh in both names that triggered my senior moment. Sad

This took a moments thought, before I realised that SIL can stand for both son-in-law and sister-in-law.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 3:05 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Michal was Shaul's daughter. I don't know Shaul's wife's name. I don't know if it was ever mentioned anyplace. Batsheva was Dovid's wife and Shlomo's mother.

I checked the TU before..it says it was Yehonason's mom that pulled Shaul to dance with her, and then they married. It didnt mention her name.

imasoftov

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 6:47 am
The names of Shaul's wife (אֲחִינֹעַם בַּת־אֲחִימָעַץ) and concubine (רִצְפָּה בַת־אַיָּה) are found in Sefer Shmuel.

https://www.sefaria.org.il/I_Samuel.14.50
https://www.sefaria.org.il/II_Samuel.3.7

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 8:15 pm
I'm bringing up this old thread to give thanks.

After reading this thread, I purchased the artscroll Tzena Urenah, which is translated from the Yiddish by Miriam Stark Zakon. For the past three months, I've been reading it every shabbos. I enjoy it so much, and have gained so much knowledge and inspiration.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational