Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Help buying a sheitel for the first time (and online too)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Tzippy323

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:06 pm
You don’t get it. What was before is not important. It’s what is happening now. Why would you help support them after what them have inflicted on us?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:14 pm
So are you going to stop buying anything that comes from China? good luck

CiCi

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:44 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:
With everything that is going on right now, why oh why would anyone want to buy from China?

I would love to stop buying Chinese products, but basically almost everything is manufactured there...

CiCi

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:52 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Malky Wigs
She has listings on eBay but then you can contact her and really through what you'd like

I purchased a wig from Malky Wigs on Amazon a few years ago and I didn't like it so I returned it. But the service was excellent, she has a good return policy and she's very nice to deal with so you can try your luck without any lose if it doesn't work out. I know someone who purchased a wig at her salon in Brooklyn I believe the cost for the wig was in the range of $500-600 and it was beautiful, it looked like a $2000 wig. Try your luck, you have nothing to lose.

Malky Wigs # (347) 267-3444

Last edited by CiCi on Fri, May 08 2020, 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Frumme

Come on, everyone, let's not make this a coronavirus thread. Feel free to make a spin off but it's not the right section. We should be helping MrsMalka with her question, not complaining about China.

MrsMalka wrote:
Ah, ok - thanks for the explanation.

I don't really follow "fashion" or "trends." I plan on just having a sheitel that I like - I don't care what others think or if my sheitel and clothes are "fashionable" enough for them.

Me neither, I'd rather a cut that I know fits my face shape etc. That's why the Freeda sale section and Doppelganger consignment are really great options price wise, especially since they'll mail you the pieces to try on in the comfort of your home, with no obligation to buy.

amother
Wheat

I bought a sheitel from China. The hair is kind of plastic looking. I've heard from other people that they love their Ali wigs.
OP, I recommend you stick with other options listed above, where you can either try it on before you buy, or order and return.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 2:12 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I have two wigs from China I am happy with. Would that interest you?

Perhaps - I would need to know a little bit more about them. Could I have some information, please?

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 2:14 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Can you order a couple models of synthetic sheitels on Aliexpress to try them out first? This way you get some experience before investing $$$. Most people find their first sheitel to be a total miss...

Does synthetic mean not human hair? I will probably not want a human hair anyway for kashrut reasons, but I'm not certain yet...

Anyway, I'm definitely only going to order from a place that allows returns.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 2:17 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:
With everything that is going on right now, why oh why would anyone want to buy from China?

I completely understand your frustration. In fact, I do not think that holding China's government partially responsible for the crisis is unreasonable.

However, I would just kindly like to remind everyone that China is one of the world's largest countries with over a billion people and a very diverse economy. It's not like China is just one shop and all of the things from that far-away and distant land are the same. Like anywhere, I am sure China produces good, okay, and bad sheitels.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 2:19 pm
Frumme wrote:
Come on, everyone, let's not make this a coronavirus thread. Feel free to make a spin off but it's not the right section. We should be helping MrsMalka with her question, not complaining about China.

Me neither, I'd rather a cut that I know fits my face shape etc. That's why the Freeda sale section and Doppelganger consignment are really great options price wise, especially since they'll mail you the pieces to try on in the comfort of your home, with no obligation to buy.

I keep hearing people say that these places will mail sheitels to try on, but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the websites. Are you sure Freeda still does that?

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 2:22 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I bought a sheitel from China. The hair is kind of plastic looking. I've heard from other people that they love their Ali wigs.
OP, I recommend you stick with other options listed above, where you can either try it on before you buy, or order and return.

I will probably end up buying a sheitel from someone in the USA, so that returns are easier. I don't want getting the right sheitel to be a multiple month process...

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 2:26 pm
I have a few random sheitel questions that maybe someone can help answer for me:

1) Does most frum women wash their sheitels themselves, or go to a professional sheitelmacher for that?

2) How does one prevent make-up from getting on and ruining the sheitel? Like, I wear very heavy make-up (foundation, contouring, blush, eyes, etc.) - won't any hair touching my skin get make-up on it and likewise be damaged/ ruined?

3) What styles & lengths are considered acceptable for tzniut? Like, I'm sure this varies by community, but what are some styles and lengths that basically nobody would have a problem with?

Frumme

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 2:53 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
I keep hearing people say that these places will mail sheitels to try on, but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on the websites. Are you sure Freeda still does that?

I had a friend do it last summer. You might have to contact them for full details, but from what I understand, you have 10 days after receiving a wig to return it. I think there's a way to do it where you give them your CC # but they only charge you if you choose to keep a wig/don't send it back in the return window/etc.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 3:52 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
I have a few random sheitel questions that maybe someone can help answer for me:

1) Does most frum women wash their sheitels themselves, or go to a professional sheitelmacher for that?

2) How does one prevent make-up from getting on and ruining the sheitel? Like, I wear very heavy make-up (foundation, contouring, blush, eyes, etc.) - won't any hair touching my skin get make-up on it and likewise be damaged/ ruined?

3) What styles & lengths are considered acceptable for tzniut? Like, I'm sure this varies by community, but what are some styles and lengths that basically nobody would have a problem with?

1) professionals. Wigs are too expensive to mess up. For an easy style you could try.

2) you can wipe the makeup off. It will build up. Do you usually wear a setting spray?

3) I prefer slightly below my shoulders. That’s pretty accepted. Start shorter and it should be easier to get used to.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 6:01 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
1) professionals. Wigs are too expensive to mess up. For an easy style you could try.

2) you can wipe the makeup off. It will build up. Do you usually wear a setting spray?

3) I prefer slightly below my shoulders. That’s pretty accepted. Start shorter and it should be easier to get used to.

I definitely wear a setting spray (Elf), but I still smear make-up if I touch my face or neck. I always get foundation on my tichels and snoods, but it's easy to wash off later, since they are fabric.

MrsMalka

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 6:03 pm
Frumme wrote:
I had a friend do it last summer. You might have to contact them for full details, but from what I understand, you have 10 days after receiving a wig to return it. I think there's a way to do it where you give them your CC # but they only charge you if you choose to keep a wig/don't send it back in the return window/etc.

I just contacted them and - unfortunately - they said you have to buy all the wigs, then return the ones you don't want.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 6:51 pm
https://lenaswigs.com/

Lena in Baltimore is great to work with. She sells pre-owned shaitels as well as new ones.

Frumme

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:34 pm
MrsMalka wrote:
I just contacted them and - unfortunately - they said you have to buy all the wigs, then return the ones you don't want.

Aw I'm so sorry! Definitely still check out Doppelganger Wigs though if you can.

MrsMalka

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 9:11 am
I just purchased my first sheitel and I spent $800 - I cannot believe it!

Cookin4days

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 11:05 am
Woohoo enjoyyy it, Im sure it’s beautiful !!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels