Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Interesting antibodies results

doodlesmom

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:43 am
My husband and I tested positive for antibodies, along with my older children.
My younger children (except for the toddler who I didn’t test) tested negative.

We didn’t distance at all from each other, literally sharing beds with the kids.
I would think based on this that either kids aren’t carriers to the extent we think they are, or they don’t get strong enough antibodies to show up on tests.

What’s your take?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 12:46 am
Dunno but my husband had positive covid swan but no antibodies. Weird. And I had negative swab and have antibodies
I wonder what my baby has. He was very sick too

CiCi

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:04 am
I don't think these tests are 100% reliable. It's more like 70%.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:10 am
By not developing a strong reaction to the virus, your kids may not have developed enough antibodies to be significant enough to be detected.

Additionally, they still don't know enough. Some people never tested positive and have antibodies, not everyone who had COVID has antibodies, many tests are inaccurate, and they have no idea if even with antibodies if you can get it again.
There a believed to be 3 strains and 30+ mutations.
Remember, different people had it to different degrees of illness and different symptoms.
At this point, I would say Hashem alone knows what is going on. We cannot even being to predict the future of how this will play out.

amother
Black

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 1:12 am
Really depends on where you did the testing. It has to be a fda approved lab. You can test again in a few weeks. Could be that its too early and your antibodies didnt show up yet in your blood. You need to be 4 weeks symptom free before testing.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 6:52 am
My husband and I were tested through mount Sinai (to donate) and he had high levels of antibodies and I had none apparently. I got sick 3 days after him, but a much more mild case- and apparently didn’t build up antibodies from it 🤷‍♀️

nchr

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:15 am
They tests are not FDA approved yet (reviewed) and are not sensitive enough to really determine much. Positive antibodies may be a result of another coronary infection (like the ones that cause the common cold). You can also get false negatives since the test is not sensitive enough to pick up on the antibody, you may still be in the process of developing antibodies and we simply do not know the number of antibodies necessary for immunity. So while bioreference lab says you need 1.10, that is just an arbitrary number. If you look at your results you will see all of this information.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:21 am
Having antibodies doesn’t tell us anything at the moment since we don’t know if it infers immunity. I don’t understand the mad rush to get tested. We don’t know if it means you can’t get it again. We don’t know if it means you can’t give it to someone else again. We don’t know if you can’t have complications from it again. We also don’t know if lack of antibodies means you are more likely to get it than someone with antibodies. So I really don’t get the mad rush to get tested. The FDA is allowing lots of these tests btw and accuracy is thought to be high for some of them but that still doesn’t tell us much at this point.

Ora in town

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 7:25 am
doodlesmom wrote:
My husband and I tested positive for antibodies, along with my older children.
My younger children (except for the toddler who I didn’t test) tested negative.

We didn’t distance at all from each other, literally sharing beds with the kids.
I would think based on this that either kids aren’t carriers to the extent we think they are, or they don’t get strong enough antibodies to show up on tests.

What’s your take?

A study was done that seemed to indicate that indeed children catch the virus less frequently...

According to this study, if an average (young) adult is equalled to an index of 100, to express their chance to catch it, the child would have an index of 30, whereas older people would have an index of 150...

I.e. this study really seemed to indicated that older people catch it more easily, and children less...

The phenomenon that one or several family members just don't catch the virus seems to be quite widespread...

exaustedmom

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 8:33 am
My husband had covid symptoms for 3 weeks and tested positive for antibodies. I on the other hand tested negative. He was not quarantined from me and if the virus is as contagious as it's lauded to be, these results don't make sense

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 8:41 am
exaustedmom wrote:
My husband had covid symptoms for 3 weeks and tested positive for antibodies. I on the other hand tested negative. He was not quarantined from me and if the virus is as contagious as it's lauded to be, these results don't make sense

If you had a mild case, you may not have built antibodies. However, you could spread the virus to others even if you had a mild case.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 8:56 am
If the body is not exerting a fight iirc you wont always see the antibodies in a blood test. And the tests arent perfect. And just because you had one strain, you might not had have the other 7 strains confirmed in worldwide circulation. And some people wont catch it, there are always those few.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:01 am
I think that the main reason for testing isn't to give anyone a sense of security. The reason is to compile data and statistics, so we can figure out how this thing works.

I remember in the early days of HIV, when someone was positive but not symptomatic. We had a saying, "Behave as if you have it, behave as if everyone else has it. Act accordingly."

It used to be, that if you called an ambulance and you looked like a "respectable, white citizen" they had no problem treating you without even putting on gloves.

If you looked "queer" in any way, they would call for a hazmat team, and leave you bleeding in the streets until the ENTs with full space suits could arrive. If it was a really busy night, they'd place your call at the end of the list of priorities.

It was the front line workers in the HIV community who pushed for what is now called "Universal Precautions." Prepare for everything, and never assume anything. Because of these policies, health care workers all wear masks and gloves in any situation that could involve bodily fluids (including aerosol particles.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics