Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Son's upcoming zoom bar mitzvah - help please!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 9:05 pm
I've had relatives ask if we will be doing a zoom bar mitzvah...how does it work? How can we make it special right now when we cant celebrate with family and friends? Please share what you did if you had a bar mitzvah recently...thank you!

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:30 am
I came on imamother to post the exact same question, so I will be following.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:36 am
I'm not in this situation but here's what I would do:

Set up a fancy table with nice desserts
Make a nice invitation on canva with the Zoom link for family and friends
Everyone gets dressed in Shabbos clothes
Ask one or two guests to prepare to speak
Make a funny video of pictures and videos from the Bar mitzvah boy's pictures as a kid
After the bar mitzvah boy speaks, have everyone give him a lchaim and a bracha
Dancing at the end

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've had relatives ask if we will be doing a zoom bar mitzvah...how does it work? How can we make it special right now when we cant celebrate with family and friends? Please share what you did if you had a bar mitzvah recently...thank you!

Mazal tov!!!!

We just did this a few weeks ago. Our son’s birthday is the last day of pesach, and we had scheduled his bar mitzvah for a week after pesach. What we did instead was make a zoom bar mitzvah for our whole families.
We (myself, my husband, and our kids) all got dressed in what we would have worn to the bar mitzvah. My son Leone’s what he would have Leone’s on shabbos. Then we had a few speeches and some dancing, and then we sat down for a seuda.
If you want, your relatives can get dressed up too. For us, we didn’t care.

Stars

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:49 am
Perhaps you can mail some kind of activity to all the recipients and have everyone do it together as part of the program.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:02 am
Thank you for the ideas! Very helpful...I was thinking we should do all this, meal, leining, speeches, etc in conjunction with his hanochos tefillin...grandparents should see him put on tefillin for the first time...

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:16 am
on zoom you can make an intersting background maybe the kottel

sky

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:20 am
Prepare a schedule before hand so things flow. Doesn’t have to be exact but this way you know what comes next and it’s not lik ... uhh

Keep speeches short
Make a movie of bar mitzvah boy growing up
Get very short video clips from friends and family and teacher wishing Mazel Tov and put together in video.
Bar mitzvah boys says pshetl
Father and grandfathers speak
Rebbe speaks
Singing and dancing

Eta - you can mail benchers to everyone in advance

Someone also stared a new business to send bar mitzvah package to guests to join in. Www.distantdelight.com

Last edited by sky on Thu, May 07 2020, 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for the ideas! Very helpful...I was thinking we should do all this, meal, leining, speeches, etc in conjunction with his hanochos tefillin...grandparents should see him put on tefillin for the first time...

My son put on tefillin right after Purim, right when shuls we’re closing, so he did it at home. I did a video chat with my parents, and the next day I recorded for my in laws. (They don’t have smart phones or a computer. My father in law brought home his work computer.)

sky

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:25 am
If your guests are local you can drop off cake trays or candy platter so they can join in.
Email copy of pshetl in advance

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:36 am
Maybe you can incorporate this brilliant idea, it definitely went over well with this Bar Mitzvah boy:

https://matzav.com/watch-this-.....tzva/

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:48 am
That is hysterical!!!

Violet123

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:54 am
Hi
Id love to help you out with a video.
You can pm me if you'd like

Last edited by Violet123 on Thu, May 07 2020, 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Violet

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:55 am

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:56 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Maybe you can incorporate this brilliant idea, it definitely went over well with this Bar Mitzvah boy:

https://matzav.com/watch-this-.....tzva/

Ours was very last minute- we decided Wednesday night and did it on Thursday night. Otherwise, I totally would have done this!!

challahchallah

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:01 am
Maybe you could invite a llama or goat to join the zoom?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a......html

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:46 am
My son's class doesn't have internet access. Therefore we did a sophisticated conference phone line for his classmates and all those who don't have access. They were able to talk and listen to all. The rest were on zoom watching all.

Everyone sent in advance the gifts and I displayed it nicely on a side table. The gifts that couldn't arrive on time, I printed a picture of it and wrapped that picture. My son was beyond thrilled when he opened all at the end of the bar mitzvah. He was very shocked as all this was a surprise.

Everyone got the schedule printed in advance

We dressed up in what we would have worn to the bar mitzvah

We did our own photography pictures before joining everyone on Zoom and conference.

We prepared a gorgeous table where we sat the whole time.

Speeches by father, grandfather, rebbe

Each of us said a mazel tov wish to the boy, including classmates, including grandmothers (all this is recorded and we can watch in years to come). We were sitting there with tears in our eyes. Such beautiful wishes were likely carefully prepared in advance by the "guests"

Boy said pshetel and speech

We had a popular singer join us on zoom who spoke a few words and sang some songs

We badly wanted to make a video of boys youth but it was all without much prior planning cause the virus had just hit then so we didn't have time for that.

If I were to make it now, then I would definitely make the bar mitzvah with a very large table and add the friends and family to the table, as the video on matzav shows.

The whole thing was a surprise for my son. He thought we're only doing a fancy meal home alone that night instead of his bar mitzvah.

It felt like a real exciting bar mitzvah. In a way it was even nicer. And everything is recorded so we can watch it in years to come.

Good luck and mazel tov!

keym

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:22 am
My son has participated in several classmates bar mitzvahs.
The family will make a fancy sit down full meal, dressed in bar mitzvah clothes. Father, grandfather's, Rebbi, Menahel, Shul Rabbi all call in or speak on Zoom at their designed times. Classmates sing at the appropriate times.

Hanachos Tefillin was done, the bar mitzvah boy stood on his pitching his new hat for a "open house". Classmates, friends, relatives came by to the driveway to see and admire. Individually wrapped donuts or danishes are put on a table several feet from where the bar mitzvah boy stands so everyone can take one.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:24 am
Just saw this on someone’s WhatsApp status. May be worth checking out. In addition I know someone who did a video for the bar mitzvah boy. Got friends, rebbe, relatives all to say Mazel Tov and put together in a beautiful video.

NEW... Allow others to share in your happiness from their very own home! Distant Delight offers custom "share in your Simcha" packages. Are you making a Bar/ Bas Mitzva , Aufruf , Kiddush , Shalom Zachor , Bris or even a Drive by Vort or Upsherin? Order a custom simcha package to allow you to share with family, friends and neighbors. Let those who would love to share in your simcha join in your happiness! Shipping available.
Beautiful presentation.
Feel free to reach out to us via WhatsApp, call or text 732-416-4491 (orders can be placed on our site http://distantdelight.com/ after May 9th)

mommyfish

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:28 am
My husband puts together videos and is very busy now with this kind of thing, you can PM me for more info if you want.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics