Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Remote learning for the future
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:32 am
New York is working with the Gates Foundation to “reimagine” education in the post-COVID era. They plan on implementing "remote learning" so the kids can stay home and learn online instead of going to a brick and mortar building. Would you want that for your children? Do you think it would work out long term if the kids dont go to school?

https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/.....p0noY

teachkids

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:01 am
As much as I hate that people see it this way, school is also a safe place for the kids to be while parents work. If kids are all remote learning, we either need to cut our workforce in half and provide decent stipends to parents staying home with kids, or somehow boost the number of babysitters and give a stipend to pay those.

youngishbear

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:04 am
teachkids wrote:
As much as I hate that people see it this way, school is also a safe place for the kids to be while parents work. If kids are all remote learning, we either need to cut our workforce in half and provide decent stipends to parents staying home with kids, or somehow boost the number of babysitters and give a stipend to pay those.

There is also the wide range of social services provided by schools, including mentoring, mandatory reporting of suspected abuse, and of course, food.

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:09 am
What about the social aspect of school? In addition, this remote learning is not working well for young learns who need a more multi sensory approach.

hodeez

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:10 am
No way is this sustainable for the general populace of kids, much less the parents.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:12 am
This would be awful. Some kids (usually academically strong) can learn on a tablet and not miss a beat. Other kids really need the experience of sitting in an actual classroom with a teacher in order to maximize their potential. Also, some subjects are difficult to teach on zoom. Try explaining to a disinterested 13 year old how to find the surface area of a rectangular prism thru zoom.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
This would be awful. Some kids (usually academically strong) can learn on a tablet and not miss a beat. Other kids really need the experience of sitting in an actual classroom with a teacher in order to maximize their potential. Also, some subjects are difficult to teach on zoom. Try explaining to a disinterested 13 year old how to find the surface area of a rectangular prism thru zoom.

What about putting kids on a vocational track instead of a core program? So kids who are interested in IT would learn programming while kids who are interested in say nursing would learn subjects related to that, etc? This way it would be more goal oriented where they can learn skills they can use for work. That would make it more montessori style learning and would eliminate boredom since students would be learning things that interests them. Of course you would still have to figure out extra curricular activities such as sports and drama club that is usually done with groups but in terms of actual learning you can definitely work around it by using the montessori method.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:30 am
I would not want to do all-remote learning for the long term, as in multiple years. But I would much rather do all-remote learning for the near/medium term than some of the in-between options beingfloated, like going to school in shifts or 2 days in-person/3 days remote.

Moonlight

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:34 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I would not want to do all-remote learning for the long term, as in multiple years. But I would much rather do all-remote learning for the near/medium term than some of the in-between options beingfloated, like going to school in shifts or 2 days in-person/3 days remote.

I hadn't heard those yet but EEEK Angry

singleagain

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:36 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

I don't have kids. But if I was a kid when this happened, I would do so poorly in school bc I needed the going to a physical class. And in person teaching. That's also why I never took an online college class.

Simple1

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:36 am
No. Many kids learn best when all their senses are engaged, when they can see and feel the enthusiasm of the teacher, experience the live interaction between students and teachers. School gives good structure without the distractions of siblings and home life.

Ok that said, I disagree with a lot of the school system as is now. But distance learning is not the answer.

Simple1

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:38 am
Homeschoolers make it work. But that requires a total commitment and is different from remote learning.

elisheva25

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:41 am
This is insane !
Yeshivos can’t do this, parents can’t do this.
What is he thinking ?
Our lives have to be committed to teaching our kids all day? everyday ?
The Jewish community must lobby against this or open underground.....this can’t be our future

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:45 am
The only time I would want to use this lchatchila is if school is in session and a kid can't come to school because of being contagious (not 24 hours on abx or fever free, etc) but is well enough to do school and wouldn't want to fall behind... Other than that, absolutely no way is this a preferable way to learn as a general method.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:49 am
Moonlight wrote:
I hadn't heard those yet but EEEK Angry

Yup, my reaction exactly. To me, it seems like the worst of both worlds. The whole family is exposed to infection, the schedule is irregular making it hard for parents to perform a constant flow of work, and the additional childcare required is only part-time, so no good babysitter or nanny would want the job. At least with regular remote learning, our family can develop a weekday routine, however awkward.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:54 am
I would love to see future zoom school used for a) kids who are sick at home but well enough to learn b) night seder or evening classes so kids don't have to come home late every night c) kids who don't have a good school nearby but can't go away.

paintbrush

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:56 am
No way! I don’t have kids in school yet but I have always looked forward to having a child in school and bring home their projects and parsha sheets. It’s not the same as learning and making projects at home. Kids also make most of their friends in school. I would never want to homeschool my children. (I know it works for some, but I cannot imagine doing it myself, and I hope that I won’t be forced to.)
Also practically, I have to go to work to make money for my family.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:00 am
Remote learning is a poor second choice but if it has to be the reality for awhile, it might as well be good.
I don't think anyone wants to permanently board up schools but there has to be a way to educate kids until the virus becomes history.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:05 am
How are parents supposed to work if they are needed to facilitate their children's remote learning?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:33 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
How are parents supposed to work if they are needed to facilitate their children's remote learning?

Maybe both parents wouldnt have to work because both tuition and taxes would be cheaper. Paying for internet and computers is cheaper than paying for brick and mortar buildings (where the schools have to pay mortgages, utilties, maintenance, etc) so tuition would automatically be cheaper.
And public schools kids would be learning from home which would lower our taxes as well so only one parent would need to work to cover the bills while the other parent could stay at home with the kids and ensure that the remote learning is being done.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics