Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Is BBC Pride and Prejudice a clean Movie?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:28 pm
So I don't watch much movies and came across this one is highly recommended on this site, is it a clean movie? Meaning no nudity, limited romance kissing etc?

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:34 pm
You know the whole book is actually a romance, right? Very clean, but still romance. But yes, the BBC version has no nudity or kissing, as far as I know.

turca

Yes.

singleagain

My best friend who is sensitive to these things. Did say that both the 1980 and 1995 versions are absolutely family friendly . No nudity whatsoever and the minimal kissing is chaste.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 4:57 pm
So yes the plot is romance but it is very clean. From what I remember of the 1995 version, there was one brief kissing scene which is right at the end after the wedding. And I think the 1985 was fairly similar.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:17 pm
There is one kiss at the end, after Darcy and Lizzie get married. But there's the part where the sister runs off with Wickham, they show them in a room together, the sis is dressed provocatively and it's mentioned they're not married...

DrMom

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:19 pm
I just want to add that the BBC 1995 version is the best adaptation I've seen. Much better than that more recent maudlin Keira Knightly version.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:21 pm
Absolutely agree! I've seen it so many times I can quote it!

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:21 pm
A clean, fabulous movie but I could not recommend for a man who is makpid on shmiras anayim because the dresses of the day were to put it nicely, very scooped in the neckline.

The BBC 1995 version is what started me on Jane Austen...

cholentfan1

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 5:24 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
A clean, fabulous movie but I could not recommend for a man who is makpid on shmiras anayim because the dresses of the day were to put it nicely, very scooped in the neckline.

The BBC 1995 version is what started me on Jane Austen...

I think the BBC 1985 version they had higher necklines (but I could be wrong)

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:13 pm
Thanks! So the 1985 or 1995 version. Which one do you recommend?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! So the 1985 or 1995 version. Which one do you recommend?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 7:59 pm
I recommend the 2005 movie version actually.
Very chaste. One kissing scene at the very very end that was tacked on to the American version only. So easy to turn off prior if you prefer not to see.
Otherwise, the most you see is a bit holding hands.
Mathew MacFadyen is far better than Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. Imo.
And I love Donald Sutherland as Mr. Bennett. And his interactions with the middle sister, Mary. I feel the other versions don't do her justice. I also really love the portrayal of Charlotte Lucas, she really encapsulates the dilemma of the Regency era in regards to the choices women had.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 9:52 pm
Is this on Netflix?

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:02 pm
You know what’s also good, and in fact better? The version of Persuasion starring Amanda Root. Love it! Also the 2008 Sense and Sensibility and the 2009 Emma.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:07 pm
The newest Emma (2020) is absolutely delightful. I recommend it highly!

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:55 pm
The new Emma (2020) is a mixed bag. Gorgeous scenery and costumes. Acting that's flat and characters that aren't believable, for the first 2/3 of the film, but the latter 1/3 is very good. OP should be warned that you do see an unclothed man briefly (from the back) as well as part of Emma's backside briefly.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:27 pm
Well of course, ymmv--this version of Emma didn't play it up as a heavy, serious drama like most Austen adaptations. It was done as a frothy sort of comedy, and imo, was amusing and charming throughout.
That said, yes, you do see Mr. Knightley getting dressed by his valet with a glimpse of his backside. But I don't remember any such scene with Emma?
Must add, I loved the portrayal of Emma--just like the book, you see her flaws, but she's likeable and endearing despite them. Loved loved loved Bill Nighy as Mr. Woodhouse.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 11:52 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
You know what’s also good, and in fact better? The version of Persuasion starring Amanda Root. Love it! Also the 2008 Sense and Sensibility and the 2009 Emma.

Loved the Amana Root film. Excellent acting, very clean (just one chaste kiss at the end).

Search on YouTube -- sometimes the full film is available there.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 12:15 am
Quote:
Well of course, ymmv--this version of Emma didn't play it up as a heavy, serious drama like most Austen adaptations. It was done as a frothy sort of comedy, and imo, was amusing and charming throughout.
That said, yes, you do see Mr. Knightley getting dressed by his valet with a glimpse of his backside. But I don't remember any such scene with Emma?
Must add, I loved the portrayal of Emma--just like the book, you see her flaws, but she's likeable and endearing despite them. Loved loved loved Bill Nighy as Mr. Woodhouse.

I'm happy to have found someone else who's seen the latest Emma! I heartily disagree with the likeability thing; in 2009 Emma, you can understand why she's meddling in people's lives even if you don't like it, but in this version, she just seems spoiled and unlikeable for the first 2/3 of the film. There's no depth to her, no vulnerability, no moments of uncertainty.

There's a brief shot of her lifting her skirts to warm her backside by the fireplace (more of a side view, not very revealing).

Agree Bill Nighy was great, with his folding screens lol. Miranda Hart also did a great job. Wish they had had larger roles.

Agree it was nice to see Austen done as lighter and more humorous (like the novels) than most movie versions.

This Mr. Knightley was so wrong in terms of age but so right in terms of charisma and chemistry! The best Knightley I've seen. If only we could have had Romola Garai with this Knightley.

What did you think of the nosebleed?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics