Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is it Safe To Let Kids Play Outside At This Point?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:06 pm
My kids were strictly locked in up until this past week. I let them out this week as they and I have had enough. But, now I hear about kids coming down with syndromes and sickness due to being sick with Covid-19 and I'm nervous...

What are you doing?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:09 pm
Yes, I think it's safe at this point. The curve is flattened and by now it's purely political.
Our sanity is just as important as our health.
I do try to get my kids to wear a mask and I said no touching other kids.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:11 pm
As with everything in life, and especially with this pandemic, it all depends whom you ask.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:11 pm
Use common sense. No trading, no playing games where you have to hold hands or touch the same stuff, but something like a bike race is fine. So is tag without touching, hopscotch, sidewalk chalk, bubbles etc.

Lay down strict ground rules and stand there to watch them like a hawk. Anyone who breaks the rules loses privileges.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:12 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
As with everything in life, and especially with this pandemic, it all depends whom you ask.

I happen to have been extremely conservative until now. Was I reckless for letting them out this week?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:13 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Use common sense. No trading, no playing games where you have to hold hands or touch the same stuff, but something like a bike race is fine. So is tag without touching, hopscotch, sidewalk chalk, bubbles etc.

Lay down strict ground rules and stand there to watch them like a hawk. Anyone who breaks the rules loses privileges.

The kids here play "Corona tag". When anyone gets to close to another kid they yell Corona! & everyone runs away.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I happen to have been extremely conservative until now. Was I reckless for letting them out this week?

No you were not. They should go out for fresh air every day.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:14 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

You can't trust younger kids. I did tell them, and had them scrub hands when coming in.

amother
Ginger

amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kids were strictly locked in up until this past week. I let them out this week as they and I have had enough. But, now I hear about kids coming down with syndromes and sickness due to being sick with Covid-19 and I'm nervous...

What are you doing?

It's not going to get more safe as time goes on. The virus is here to stay. There will always be a risk of catching it. The virus is not going to magically disappear. Ever.
Even a drug is likely 6 months away and there's no guarantee that it'll work or that it'll work for everyone.
Unless you're waiting for a vaccine, which will likely take at least 12 months, I'm not sure what the difference is between now and 3 months from now.

avrahamama

Shadow tag is fun. Try to tag each other's shadows.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:15 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
The kids here play "Corona tag". When anyone gets to close to another kid they yell Corona! & everyone runs away.

In twenty years from now, kids playing this novel game won't know the source anymore and will assume it's epes a pesachdige game of macarona.

amother
OP

amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

That's so cute!

Kids are currently being hospitalized with after-symptoms. This is not a joke.

On the other hand, how long can we keep them in ?

amother
Honeydew

amother [ OP ] wrote:

What are you doing?

Where do you live? If you I’ve in a rural community, or in an area that has experienced very few cases, it is a calculated risk.

If you live in NYC, no, it’s not safe. The main issue isn’t the children. It’s that they can be asymptomatic carriers and pass the disease to others with higher risk. Once your kids are out there, you might as well get on the subway without a mask, and hold onto a pole. Well, maybe not that. But you’re increasing risks a lot.

I sympathize with the difficulties. It’s not easy.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:18 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
It's not going to get more safe as time goes on. The virus is here to stay. There will always be a risk of catching it. The virus is not going to magically disappear. Ever.
Even a drug is likely 6 months away and there's no guarantee that it'll work or that it'll work for everyone.
Unless you're waiting for a vaccine, which will likely take at least 12 months, I'm not sure what the difference is between now and 3 months from now.

That was my Cheshbon. But, this is getting me frightened!

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/.....28037

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:19 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Yes, I think it's safe at this point. The curve is flattened and by now it's purely political.
Our sanity is just as important as our health.
I do try to get my kids to wear a mask and I said no touching other kids.

You do understand that the curve is flattening because people were social distancing. That once they stop, it will not be flattened.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:22 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Where do you live? If you I’ve in a rural community, or in an area that has experienced very few cases, it is a calculated risk.

If you live in NYC, no, it’s not safe. The main issue isn’t the children. It’s that they can be asymptomatic carriers and pass the disease to others with higher risk. Once your kids are out there, you might as well get on the subway without a mask, and hold onto a pole. Well, maybe not that. But you’re increasing risks a lot.

I sympathize with the difficulties. It’s not easy.

I live upstate, a complex. The difficulty is seeing all the other kids outside and telling them they can't leave. If I'd be living in a private home- we would manage it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:22 pm
ourside to play? Yes! Mine has been going or for weeks. Outside to play with others? No.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That was my Cheshbon. But, this is getting me frightened!

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/.....28037

Listen I get that its scary. But a. the fact that its only a possible link is less than convincing b. no kids have died as a result of Kawasaki c. its been such a small tiny number that its negligible. Everything is a risk benefit calculation. You make these calculations every day even if you're not conscious of it. There's always a small chance a child could ch'v get into a car accident, get hit by something in the head, catch a different weird illness. But does that fear lead you to never let your kids outside? No.
You know your kids best but I'm a lot more scared of lingering emotional and mental health side effects in my kids from being inside for weeks on end then I am of a potential possibly Kawasaki reaction that happens in an extremely tiny percent of cases.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live upstate, a complex. The difficulty is seeing all the other kids outside and telling them they can't leave. If I'd be living in a private home- we would manage it.

You should be going out with your kids daily. They need fresh air and the ability to move around. You can supervise their playtime and see to it that they don’t play with other kids. They can talk to them from a distance but let your kids at least go out and play by themselves outdoors.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 06 2020, 10:31 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:

Are you god that you know for certain that it will never disappear?? Why are you cursing the world?
It can ih disappear just like it came.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics