Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is it Safe To Let Kids Play Outside At This Point?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 2:41 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
When are you moving to Shangri La

I hope you will continue to post here and let us know how idyllic life is there

In my Shangri La, my husband spent almost a week in the hospital. My relatives died. My friends have been sick or hospitalized. I get shiva notices almost daily.

Let me know how you feel about how its OK to let people die so your snowflake can play outside when its your husband being taken out in a stretcher, or when you're sitting shiva for your mother. Will it be worthwhile then?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 2:43 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
In my Shangri La, my husband spent almost a week in the hospital. My relatives died. My friends have been sick or hospitalized. I get shiva notices almost daily.

Let me know how you feel about how its OK to let people die so your snowflake can play outside when its your husband being taken out in a stretcher, or when you're sitting shiva for your mother. Will it be worthwhile then?

And you think that if everyone followed SD to a tee that these things would have been prevented? Please cite your source proving that SD saves lives, and does not just extend the course of the pandemic.

giselle

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 2:44 pm
Of course, no one has been asked to stay inside for 6 days, much less 6 months.

They've been asked to socially distance for less than 2 months. And if they'd do it, then we'd be able to move on to the next step, what New Zealand is calling expanding the bubble.

Its shocking to me how many Americans have such extreme mental health issues that not being able to hang out with their friends pushes them to the brink of suicide, or inability to deal with daily life. We clearly need a better mental health system.

Its even more shocking to me that children suffer from such severe mental health issues that playing with their siblings, or on bikes, scooters, or other toys, results in irreparable mental harm.

Baruch hashem we're not at war, where they would have to hunker down.

Or maybe Americans are just selfish.

According to Healthline, nearly 40% of those hospitalized for coronavirus are under 55. Just under 3500 deaths attributable to coronavirus in 3 months. So they risk death too.

But it all comes down to Americans being too selfish. Viewing their own fun and recreational activities as more important than the lives of others.

I'm disgusted.

I tried to say something along these lines yesterday and was told that I’m obviously not knowledgeable in mental health. I’ve been in the mental health field for ten years...

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 2:51 pm

I am so sorry for everything you've been through, and I agree with you completely.

I'm sending you genuine, heartfelt hugs. Hug

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 2:52 pm
Its shocking to me how many Americans have such extreme mental health issues that not being able to hang out with their friends pushes them to the brink of suicide, or inability to deal with daily life. We clearly need a better mental health system.

Or maybe Americans are just selfish.

But it all comes down to Americans being too selfish. Viewing their own fun and recreational activities as more important than the lives of others.

I'm disgusted.

It was a father in Montreal, Canada that killed his children when he snapped from prolonged quarantine, not an American.

Oh, I forgot. Only the Israelis (that shove you and yell over your shoulder in store lines and at bus stops) are the unselfish ones. Believe me, and I know what I'm saying, if the Israeli police force wouldn't have come down as hard as they did on their citizens, they would've flouted the regulations worse than anywhere else globally. So don't pat yourself on your backs.

giselle

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 2:56 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
It was a father in Montreal, Canada that killed his children when he snapped from prolonged quarantine, not an American.

Oh, I forgot. Only the Israelis (that shove you and yell over your shoulder in store lines and at bus stops) are the unselfish ones. Believe me, and I know what I'm saying, if the Israeli police force wouldn't have come down as hard as they did on their citizens, they would've flouted the regulations worse than anywhere else globally. So don't pat yourself on your backs.

Can you post a source for this story? The only thing I could find on google was from the end of March. Was Canada already in prolonged lockdown at that point?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 2:56 pm

No one is letting anyone die besides for the hospitals that are not giving proper treatment. If you want to blame someone, blame our wonderful government. Hashem does not take a person from the world if their time has not come yet. Everyone has an exact time they're destined to leave this world, no one can change that.
But what we can do is hishtadlus, try our best. Hishtadlus is something else for everyone. For me it might be letting my kids play outside, for others it might be keeping the kids locked in, for some it might be renting a larger house so the entire family doesn't lose their sanity. Everyone is trying their best under the circumstances. It is up for everyone to decide for themselves what's best for them and it's no one's business what other's are doing.
For those who think they can fix the world, the first step to fixing the world is fixing yourself.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 3:18 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
ourside to play? Yes! Mine has been going or for weeks. Outside to play with others? No.

This.
My kids have been out every single day (almost aside for rainy days) to bike ride or play games. With me. In an area where there are no other people. I live in NYC so we play on the sidewalk with few if any people and we move away when someone walks by.

I do not send them out on their own anymore like I used to because there are many other neighbors that don’t care and the kids always try to come to my kids. I have to take them away from my house. It’s annoyjng but it’s the right thing to do right now.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 3:34 pm
According this news article, there's no point in staying home.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/0......html

little neshamala

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 3:43 pm
My kids play outside, but not with others. I dont see anything reassuring enough to have me change that, and now this kawasaki issue that popped up weeks after the children had it...its very unnerving that no one had even heard of that potential complication until very recently.
I also strongly disagree with the sentiment I hear "my kids sanity is as important as their physical health".
No. Its important, sure, but its really not the same as being in physical danger.
And really...my children are not in any serious mental danger because I dont let them play with their neighbors. BH doing fine.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 3:47 pm
2022 we know it has always been safe.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Feb 06 2022, 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

giselle

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 4:02 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

This article is worthless for multiple reasons.
1. If god forbid you are admitted to the hospital for corona, and they ask if you have been staying home, will you honestly answer no?
2. What does staying home mean? Never going out or just to the store? Where germs are rampant. Deliveries.. etc
3. The lockdown plan was never to prevent people from ever catching it. It was to flatten the curve. But yes, it was understood that people will still get sick, just hopefully at a slower rate.
I’m sure there are many more reasons I can add if I think about it.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 4:04 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:

Staying home lowered the R0 factor which is the most significant part of this.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 4:07 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
And you think that if everyone followed SD to a tee that these things would have been prevented? Please cite your source proving that SD saves lives, and does not just extend the course of the pandemic.

Halachically even if a person's life is prolonged for a minute you do all in your power to do it.
And acting like an idiot has been proven to shorten other's lives.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 4:41 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:

Last edited by amother on Sun, Feb 06 2022, 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 5:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You can't trust younger kids. I did tell them, and had them scrub hands when coming in.

So you should go out with them.

soap suds

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 6:58 pm
Why are they inside? Unless they are ill or have been exposed, that’s not required or recommended. If you have a yard, go out. If not, go to a local park. Or take your bikes and scooters and skates and have fun. Play hopscotch. Set up a jumping and hopping course. Jump rope. Hike. Have races. Play catch. Among yourselves. While distancing from others.

The minute I step outside, I’m surrounded by people. My kids can’t go ride their bikes on the block without coming into close contact with other kids. No open parks in my neighborhood, and we don’t have a car so can’t take them to a park that is open.

Oh, and no porch either, so can’t even step out for some fresh air.

It’s easy to say they can play outside but not with others. For many of us it is A choice between staying locked indoors and going out without SD.

My kids were locked inside or weeks, while all the kids in my apt building were mingling. At this point, I feel that the risk of my child being the one to pass it to them is practically nil. so, yes I do let them get out a bit even though they can’t SD properly.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 6:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kids were strictly locked in up until this past week. I let them out this week as they and I have had enough. But, now I hear about kids coming down with syndromes and sickness due to being sick with Covid-19 and I'm nervous...

What are you doing?

Do you really believe anyone here is equipped to answer your question?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics