Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teen Dd is calmer and better behaved with no school

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:18 am
She loves her school and friends and very popular and excellent student. But surprisingly she is better behaved at home when there is no school. She used to have outbursts at Dh and me and be chutzpah a lot now she is just extremely better. Do you see that in your children?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:19 am
I have the opposite Sad tons of opposition and chutzpah

Maryann

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:23 am
Yes !! My kids are much calmer
There are still plenty of fights tension but there definitely a atmosphere of peace and serenity now bh

tweety1

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:01 am
My kids are more difficult but they're happier. Not so kvetchy. They're on their own schedule not a forced one.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:09 am
DD made honor roll for the first time in her life. She is plowing through her school work like it's a video game, and she's trying to get to the next level!

Being able to go at her own pace, get help when she needs it, and speed ahead when she knows the material, has been like a miracle for her. Anxiety and depression are way down, and she's very optimistic about graduating with top grades.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:20 am
I'm finding that they are less stressed because the social pressure is limited.
Even if there are virtual goings-on, knowledge of them is limited, so they don't have the feeling of missing out. There is also less stress about being "on" and always bringing their A-game.
SATs are currently off the table (but I wish she would use the time to study) and checking out college is virtual and taking less of a front seat. There is still stress, but it is very different.

She bleary eyed from being on Zoom for 6-7 hours a day, and is desperate to go back to school. She still has a ton of work and hours of homework every night, but it is still less stressful in our house.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 10:39 am
Dd doesn’t have zoom. It’s a pretty frum Bais Yaakov. They have phone sessions and a lot of homework. She is on the phone with friends and I opened netflix for her with restrictions of course.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 12:35 pm
OP: many chiildren do better emotionally out of school.

Fact of life.

Zehava

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 3:58 pm
My 6-8 year olds are doing loads better without school.
They’re calmer, more creative, playing with toys for the first time in years and generally are just kids again.

little neshamala

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 4:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She loves her school and friends and very popular and excellent student. But surprisingly she is better behaved at home when there is no school. She used to have outbursts at Dh and me and be chutzpah a lot now she is just extremely better. Do you see that in your children?

All my kids are doing better with no real school. They do have phone conference/zoom but its a lot less pressure than usual school, AND theres no more devoting their whole evening to homework. ...
Because theyre not coming home from a school day totally exhausted and facing even more work, my kids are now calm and relaxed which in turn makes them happier and less chutzpadik. I see such a big difference its incredible.
Makes me really hate real school even more.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 5:01 pm
I am a special ed teacher. Interestingly , about 1/3 of my students are doing significantly better in zoom lessons than in person lessons. There is no social pressure to misbehave and no one to fight with (or when they fight I can just mute them). About 1/3 of them are really struggling. And the rest are somewhere in the middle. The shorter hours, less sitting time, less distractions, are definitely better for some students.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 5:05 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I am a special ed teacher. Interestingly , about 1/3 of my students are doing significantly better in zoom lessons than in person lessons. There is no social pressure to misbehave and no one to fight with (or when they fight I can just mute them). About 1/3 of them are really struggling. And the rest are somewhere in the middle. The shorter hours, less sitting time, less distractions, are definitely better for some students.

That must be hard for them

notshanarishona

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 5:27 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
That must be hard for them

Yes- but that way class doesn't get interrupted and they can still chat with me through the text on zoom. They are not supposed to be talking to each other anyways during class unless I put them in a breakout room .

HelloG

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 5:31 pm
lots of people are reporting that
some children aren't cut out for school
and the stress induced by all the homework and schoolwork is def a broken system

simba

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 5:43 pm
Same here. Happy going kids. Waking up much later, less restrictive schedules, not out of the house for many long hours, mommy isn't working.. definitely an upgrade for them.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 5:45 pm
And mine are the opposite.
They love, love, love school.
They're not great phone shmoozers, and school provides the bulk of their social interaction, and the impetus to reach out to friends at night.
Despite conference calls, phone conversations with friends, family games, walks, bike rides, etc, they are all dealing with increasingly higher levels of depression that creates yelling, fighting, chutzpa, irritability, and in decreased interest in keeping up with the school work cuz "what's the point. Stupid Murphy is going to keep me locked in my house for the rest of my life".

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 5:51 pm
My 13 yo son finally stopped wetting his bed..... he’s pretty chilled about school but it seems the social and teacher pressure was more than we realized. So happy the problem wasn’t from family pressure Smile

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:48 pm
My kids are behaving much better without school.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 9:32 pm
Zehava wrote:
My 6-8 year olds are doing loads better without school.
They’re calmer, more creative, playing with toys for the first time in years and generally are just kids again.

same here
my 10 year old ASD kid has very very few ASD traits right now.... hmmm.....
Much Less rigidity, less anxiety, less oppositional behaviors, he has learned how to play imaginative games, he is getting along with his sisters and socially distant getting along with the neighbors. SO much more cooperative, easygoing, better at conflict resolution, motivated to do his zoom classes, more OK with my expressions of emotions, handling not getting what he wants/expects better and can verbalize that challenge better...

hmmm........

he happens to love school and love structure.

hmmmmm......
I have a lot to think about before school next year
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children