Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler hurt himself, now scared to go on slide

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 7:54 pm
He was having a blast on the slide. Then I wanted to encourage him to go down himself so I said I’ll catch him. Well.. I didn’t. He came down too fast and fell on the ground. He cried bitterly, I think from fear more than anything. He refused to go on it after and just wanted to go inside. How do I help him get over the fear? I didn’t push him but every time I talk about how much fun he had he says “boo boo” and knowing him he’s going to refuse to go on it when we go to the swing set next. In general he’s a cautious child and I want him to enjoy himself! Not be held back by fears. He’s almost two so need advice for a kid on that level.

trixx

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He was having a blast on the slide. Then I wanted to encourage him to go down himself so I said I’ll catch him. Well.. I didn’t. He came down too fast and fell on the ground. He cried bitterly, I think from fear more than anything. He refused to go on it after and just wanted to go inside. How do I help him get over the fear? I didn’t push him but every time I talk about how much fun he had he says “boo boo” and knowing him he’s going to refuse to go on it when we go to the swing set next. In general he’s a cautious child and I want him to enjoy himself! Not be held back by fears. He’s almost two so need advice for a kid on that level.

Stop invalidating his experience. He is waiting for your validation
Tell the story as it happened
Apologize for not catching him
Read the whole Brained Child

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:19 pm
trixx wrote:
Stop invalidating his experience. He is waiting for your validation
Tell the story as it happened
Apologize for not catching him
Read the whole Brained Child

I apologized many times, hugged and held him. I spoke about it and said I’m sorry I didn’t catch you. I feel terrible enough; don’t know why you think I invalidated him. But he did have two hours of fun before that. So talking about all the fun he had today all leads to the same conclusion.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:27 pm
My 2 year old broke his leg on the slide this past winter. At first he was scared but when he saw other kids having fun on the slide he decided he wanted to go too, but it took some time (that could also be because he was in a cast for 4 weeks). But just know that after some time the fear went away and now he loves going on the slide!

hodeez

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:29 pm
I think this shows a level of maturity, he doesn't want to get hurt again so he's protecting himself

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I apologized many times, hugged and held him. I spoke about it and said I’m sorry I didn’t catch you. I feel terrible enough; don’t know why you think I invalidated him. But he did have two hours of fun before that. So talking about all the fun he had today all leads to the same conclusion.

It happened today?? It's normal for him not to want to go on the slide again right away! Give him some time, don't force him or even ask him if he wants to go. He'll probably go again on his own very soon. He doesn't have to go again right after he fell.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:33 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
It happened today?? It's normal for him not to want to go on the slide again right away! Give him some time, don't force him or even ask him if he wants to go. He'll probably go again on his own very soon. He doesn't have to go again right after he fell.

I agree.

The sooner you quit making a big deal about it, the sooner he'll forget it even happened. Even if he doesn't get on another slide until he's 3, that's not the end of the world.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:42 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I agree.

The sooner you quit making a big deal about it, the sooner he'll forget it even happened. Even if he doesn't get on another slide until he's 3, that's not the end of the world.

You think it’s normal for a kid to avoid something he loves for a year because one time he hurt himself? I’m asking genuinely. I don’t know. I definitely wouldn’t force him to do anything but I finally found something he enjoys and kept him busy....

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You think it’s normal for a kid to avoid something he loves for a year because one time he hurt himself? I’m asking genuinely. I don’t know. I definitely wouldn’t force him to do anything but I finally found something he enjoys and kept him busy....

Yes, that's actually exactly what happened to my son a few months ago before he turned two. I didn't catch him in time, he fell and got hurt. A week or so later we tried it again and I held him the whole time, it took a few tries til I was slowly able to let him go himself and now he doesn't even need my catching him

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It happened today! He got hurt, it's totally normal that he doesn't want to go again right away.
He might also be afraid to go because you said you'd catch him and you didn't, so he doesn't want to go again. Please let it go and don't make an issue out of this.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:53 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Yes, that's actually exactly what happened to my son a few months ago before he turned two. I didn't catch him in time, he fell and got hurt. A week or so later we tried it again and I held him the whole time, it took a few tries til I was slowly able to let him go himself and now he doesn't even need my catching him

Ok thanks. I felt so bad about what happened and even worse that I ruined something he loves... hope he gets over it quickly and forgives me for my mistake...

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:54 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
It happened today! He got hurt, it's totally normal that he doesn't want to go again right away.
He might also be afraid to go because you said you'd catch him and you didn't, so he doesn't want to go again. Please let it go and don't make an issue out of this.

She’s saying he may not want to go for a year. I understood that he wouldn’t want to go right away but I thought a year was excessive.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:45 am
He's an intelligent child. He learned from adverse experience.
isn't that what we want our children to do?
Not put the hand again on the hot stove, once they got burned?

So too bad if does not want to slide any more... His reaction is reasonable... Don't feel bad... there are enough other possibilities on the playground...

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 11:54 am
Start with the "baby" slides and/or some of those little slides that families buy.

When he is ready to try a BIG slide have TWO people to make it safer: One person on bottom to
"catch" and one person on the side who will put arm out and slow him down as he is coming down.
Demonstrate how you will do it on another child.

But don't pressure. He will eventually try slides again, it will take time.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 12:09 pm
Maybe he really is too young for big slides?

What's the big deal if he doesn't go on big slides for a year?

Let him play with what he is comfortable with. Your pressuring him will only backfire.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 10 2020, 1:42 pm
It’s been a while since the op. He is just fine bh and loving the slides again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics