Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Contact tracers
1  2  3  Next

rae

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:36 am
So supposedly the government is working on hiring contact tracers.
When someone is infected they’ll find out who they were in contact with and ask each person who came within 6 feet of them to quarantine for 14 days. Does anyone know more about this?

tweety1

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 2:17 am
I read abt it but doesn't sound feasible to me. Cuz those ppl who were exposed expose others. So they now they have to trace the others too. Doesn't make any sense.

DrMom

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 3:31 am
tweety1 wrote:
I read abt it but doesn't sound feasible to me. Cuz those ppl who were exposed expose others. So they now they have to trace the others too. Doesn't make any sense.

Here in Israel, if person "A" is contact with someone who then tested positive (person "B"), then "A" and everyone else with whom"B" was in contact must go into a 2-week quarantine.

But everyone with whom "A" was in contact does not, unless "A" gets sick too.

WhatFor

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 3:57 am
rae wrote:
So supposedly the government is working on hiring contact tracers.
When someone is infected they’ll find out who they were in contact with and ask each person who came within 6 feet of them to quarantine for 14 days. Does anyone know more about this?

Whose government? I think contact tracing works and can help when cases are very limited and more controlled. If you're in a country where over a million people tested positive, I'm wondering how the government would have resources for that much contact tracing.... I'm all for stopping the spread, just wondering how practical it is once it has spread beyond a certain amount....

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 4:40 am
According to the NY Times, four states are considering using ankle monitors for people who test positive, and people who have had contact, to ensure that they keep the quarantine.

This is only a suggestion for now, but lawyers are already licking their chops at the possibilities. It would certainly set some strange new precedents.

On one hand, nobody needs a bunch of Typhoid Marys running around, but on the other hand - civil liberties and such.

If this goes through, I think there will be a major shortage of popcorn, so stock up now. 🍿

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 6:23 am
To be honest, this scares me. I am normally not a paranoid person at all and don't buy into conspiracy theories, but COVID contact tracers could be the beginning of huge civil rights violations.

I think companies (and by extension the government if they ever want to supeona company records) already have access to our whereabouts via wifi/phone data signals. That's how Google Maps, Waze, and workout apps that track your distance work.

Now they are developing apps that hone in on our signal in proximity to other people's signals to match up who we have contact with? Good luck having an affair or buying illegal substances anymore! Sheesh! 😉

But seriously, imagine if the Nazis in WWII had Jews wired like this as well as anyone we came in contact with? How many more Jews in hiding or righteous gentiles would have been identified and killed?

This technology scares me.

DrMom

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 7:13 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
According to the NY Times, four states are considering using ankle monitors for people who test positive, and people who have had contact, to ensure that they keep the quarantine.

This is only a suggestion for now, but lawyers are already licking their chops at the possibilities. It would certainly set some strange new precedents.

On one hand, nobody needs a bunch of Typhoid Marys running around, but on the other hand - civil liberties and such.

If this goes through, I think there will be a major shortage of popcorn, so stock up now. 🍿

Gee, that's not too Orwellian. Surprised Surprised Surprised

Why stop with Covid-19? How about the flu? Or the common cold?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:05 am
I am not disturbed at the thought of being tracked anonymously as that ship has sailed long ago.

Our phones are used to track where we go and can link us to who we have been in contact with.

The streets and businesses contain numerous cameras which record where we go. My building has cameras in hallways, lobbies and elevators. My joke is that I am grateful that I can prove I didn't murder my spouse if my alibi was that I was home alone watching television because the cameras will show I didn't go out. For the record, I feel protected by the cameras.

Web history can't be hidden. Again, I have no particular fears or problems with this.

Until there is a vaccine - and perhaps even WHEN there is a vaccine, the only way to get back to any semblance of normal is to utilize contact tracers. This has been shown to be true in those countries which have gotten things somewhat under control - testing and contract tracing are critical.

Cmon be nice

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:10 am
Gonna be hard to reopen the economy if at any time a person may have to quarantine if they were in contact with someone who tested positive

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:11 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I am not disturbed at the thought of being tracked anonymously as that ship has sailed long ago.

Our phones are used to track where we go and can link us to who we have been in contact with.

The streets and businesses contain numerous cameras which record where we go. My building has cameras in hallways, lobbies and elevators. My joke is that I am grateful that I can prove I didn't murder my spouse if my alibi was that I was home alone watching television because the cameras will show I didn't go out. For the record, I feel protected by the cameras.

Web history can't be hidden. Again, I have no particular fears or problems with this.

Until there is a vaccine - and perhaps even WHEN there is a vaccine, the only way to get back to any semblance of normal is to utilize contact tracers. This has been shown to be true in those countries which have gotten things somewhat under control - testing and contract tracing are critical.

It's all fine and dandy until its not. Could you imagine what would happen if this information got into the wrong hands? Imagine if they had had contact tracers and Hitler was in charge. They would know where all the Jews go all the time. I am supremely uncomfortable with this.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:13 am
Contact tracing is not a new thing. It’s very standard procedure with any new outbreak or in this case, pandemic.

rae

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:17 am
I’m hoping someone will explain. The new draft they are trying to pass sounds much more invasive and gives them a lot of power.
Power to enter homes and separate families

Can someone tell me if this is true.

CiCi

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:18 am
I got tested for the Covid-19. If I would get tracked there's no way I would do that. And neither would millions of others. So what's the point? So they'll have to make it illegal not to get tested if you don't feel well? This is the beginning of something much worse than Communism. I'd rather have people with the flu and coronavirus walking around than me wearing an tracking device. I mean I wouldn't want either scenerio, but realistically speaking, Covid-19 is here to stay and I don't want my rights taken away because of it.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
It's all fine and dandy until its not. Could you imagine what would happen if this information got into the wrong hands? Imagine if they had had contact tracers and Hitler was in charge. They would know where all the Jews go all the time. I am supremely uncomfortable with this.

They already know this if they want to know this. That ship has sailed. The only difference is that one can use the data that already exists for a specific beneficial purpose.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:23 am
CiCi wrote:
I got tested for the Covid-19. If I would get tracked there's no way I would do that. And neither would millions of others. So what's the point? So they'll have to make it illegal not to get tested if you don't feel well? This is the beginning of something much worse than Communism. I'd rather have people with the flu and coronavirus walking around than me wearing an tracking device. I mean I wouldn't want either scenerio, but realistically speaking, Covid-19 is here to stay and I don't want my rights taken away because of it.

Exactly. If the pass any sort of legislation that states that you can be forcibly removed from your home, people just won't get tested. Unless they're also going to force everyone to get tested which seems highly unlikely and pretty impossible to enforce.
So if people refuse to get tested because they think they'll be forcibly removed from their homes by the gov't, they won't know if they have covid, and they won't know to self-isolate.
What a genius plan from our genius government.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
They already know this if they want to know this. That ship has sailed. The only difference is that one can use the data that already exists for a specific beneficial purpose.

Actually its not so easy for the government to access your personal data, at least legally. Look at U.S. v. Jones and Carpenter v. U.S. The police need a warrant to access personal GPS data from cell phones. Do you know how arduous it would be for the gov't to have to get probable cause to get a warrant for every individual they think might have covid? Forget an army of contact tracers, you'd need an army of lawyers.

rae

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:30 am
I think the point of tracers are to find people as soon as they’ve been exposed. So if A is sick, needs medical care they are trying to find socially smart (I’ll have to look up exact words they used) people to get out of them all the places they’ve been and people they’ve been in contact with. They then can go and force mandatory quarantine on those people for 14 days to see if they are going to get sick or not. If they don’t feel the home conditions are safe for forced quarantine( as website said not separate bathroom and eating areas) they can remove said person to “safe” place for quarantine

If I’m wrong please google contact tracers. What job is and what it entails.

Can someone let me know if this is true please.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:40 am
rae wrote:
I think the point of tracers are to find people as soon as they’ve been exposed. So if A is sick, needs medical care they are trying to find socially smart (I’ll have to look up exact words they used) people to get out of them all the places they’ve been and people they’ve been in contact with. They then can go and force mandatory quarantine on those people for 14 days to see if they are going to get sick or not. If they don’t feel the home conditions are safe for forced quarantine( as website said not separate bathroom and eating areas) they can remove said person to “safe” place for quarantine

If I’m wrong please google contact tracers. What job is and what it entails.

Can someone let me know if this is true please.

I will preface this with the information that while I am a lawyer, I'm not a Constitutional lawyer. 1. It would be nearly impossible to do this legally. While the gov't does have extremely expanded powers in times of emergency, forcibly removing people from their homes is probably not one of those powers. Now, if you refused to quarantine and they knew that you were going out then maybe yes they could forcibly remove you. But if you agreed to quarantine in your home, I don't believe they'd have much legal ground to stand on, even if you only had 1 bathroom. 2. If this happened, and they were challenged, considering the Supreme Court's conservative majority and their recent decisions concerning privacy, I think they would block it. 3. I haven't seen, nor do I think that they've released, any draft legislation regarding their intentions if someone has what in their mind is inadequate quarantine accommodations. I think what you're referring to is the Ventura County statements that said “find people who have COVID-19 and immediately isolate them, find every one of their contacts, make sure they stay quarantined and check in with them every day.” He later clarified his statements. I think what he meant was 1. If you say you don't want to quarantine at home, they'll have accommodations, or if someone is living in a very unusual circumstance (probably like a group home or a shelter of some type) then they may be able to force you. But no, it would be very, very unlikely that they could force you to quarantine in a gov't shelter or hotel because you only have 1 bathroom in your house. I'd be honestly shocked if that was the legislation.
Again with the caveat that this is not actual legal advice, just my opinion,

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cal.....ntine

rae

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:49 am
This is from the cdc website on contact tracers.

Separating contacts from people who are not exposed is critical to the success of any contact tracing effort and requires social supports for individual compliance and medical monitoring. First and foremost is the assessment of an individual’s ability to in stay home and maintain social distance from others, a safe environment that provides the necessary supports (private room and bathroom, adequate food and water, and access to medication) and the ability to practice adequate infection control. For a portion of the U.S. population this will be a challenge, particularly for some of the most vulnerable populations.

rae

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 10:52 am
If they don’t think it’s safe for someone to stay home, they can provide alternative accommodations.
That’s bad enough on its own but What if the contacted person is a child or elderly. How much power will the cdc have in deciding who is sick and who is not.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics