Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you think school days will be shorter from now on?
Previous  1  2

amother
Wine

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:19 pm
I'm wishing for years already for a shorter school day. From Pre 1A, my kids are out from 8:20-4:30. That is a very long day for young kids. Add on homework, they barely have time to play and wind down. I don't think such long hours are necessary for such young kids.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:25 pm
I like my kids school day. Pre1a-4th is 8:30-3:45, 5th is 8:30-4:45 and 6-8th is 7:40-4:45. I put my oldest on the bus last year and he was by 4:10 and it helped him become friends with a kid down the street a year old who he really likes. Any shorter and he would get less educational time which I dont want.

seeker

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 1:49 pm
This definitely needs separate threads for Israel and US

avrahamama

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 4:46 pm
seeker wrote:
This definitely needs separate threads for Israel and US

Yeah ... My American 5th grader goes from 745-515

My lower elementary from 8:30-4:15

Both are really long days to me.

I would love to send to rebbe in AM then bring them home for lunch and homeschool limudei chol...

hotzenplotz

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 4:50 pm
Rappel wrote:
But could the school offer babysitting in a more social setting? An after-school program which runs from 1-4, out something similar?

I'm just thinking Brooklyn, where kids can't roam the streets, but where there are community centers and Ys. Imagine the school day finished at 1, and kids were either picked up then, or bussed to a program where they had lunch, followed by a choice of playing ball, swimming, doing art, or learning some skill. Preferably with the aggregated students of several other schools. Could you imagine how much fresher those kids would be after having time for free and independent play every day, where they could unwind with their friends or their own thoughts?

my kids play beautifully in Brooklyn. I grew up with cement and traffic and have wonderful urban memories. Kids are very creative unless adults stamp it out.

amother
Beige

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 4:54 pm
I am a school principal. We have had many lengthy and frank conversations over the past few weeks.
This crisis has sort of been a reset for society, including schools. Members of our board and the administration have expressed that there are lessons to be learnt from this experience. One of the issues we have been grappling with is the length of the school day and perhaps finding ways to restructure the way we view the traditional school day.
My students (OOT HS) are usually in school from 8:00-5:00. So many of them are now truly thriving with more free time. They are well rested and making the most of their distance learning.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 5:02 pm
I wish school starts later and finishes regular time

sub

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 5:36 pm
The discrepancy arises fro the fact that we have limudei chol in the pm and limudei kodesh in the am.
In israel they don’t have that division. You can learn math between chumash and navi and then science and then halacha-( just as an example. )
Public schools begin earlier and end at 2:30, in my area

Rappel

Post Sat, May 09 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I am a school principal. We have had many lengthy and frank conversations over the past few weeks.
This crisis has sort of been a reset for society, including schools. Members of our board and the administration have expressed that there are lessons to be learnt from this experience. One of the issues we have been grappling with is the length of the school day and perhaps finding ways to restructure the way we view the traditional school day.
My students (OOT HS) are usually in school from 8:00-5:00. So many of them are now truly thriving with more free time. They are well rested and making the most of their distance learning.

Thank you for coming here to weigh in! Smile

If you don't mind my asking: What do you think is important to preserve, and what should be changed? What will you do to give your students that healthy balance?

DrMom

Post Sat, May 09 2020, 1:50 pm
Rappel wrote:
But if the parent body wants change...

What do teachers' unions want?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics