Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Is your baby up to date on vaccines?
Previous  1  2

Aylat

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 5:16 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
My baby is up to date. We didn't have a well visit in office, but we had a separate visit just for shots. In and out.

This.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:56 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
What if there is a pertussis outbreak on the heals of the coronavirus outbreak?

Take him in now, you don't want him behind on his shots, especially when he goes back to daycare. Now he is relatively safe, when things open up again you want him fully protected from as much as possible.

He wasn't well in the winter so it got pushed off. Now I'm nervous to take him to a germy doctor's waiting room. He doesn't go to daycare or the babysitter.
Now he has a cough so we anyways need to wait.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:58 pm
My baby has a well visit on Tuesday and I am not skipping it.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:43 pm
happy chick wrote:
That's what I'm scared of. Not pertussis, in particular. But in general, how were so scared to peak out our windows and then all of a sudden one day well realize were 2 years behind schedule on vaccines.

None of the things we vaxx for are as catchy as covid. If you are sd'ing I dont see where baby can pick up the germs. I say remain calm. No big deal a few months off in the schedule. Its not some magic number by age. Kids will easily be up to date before pre-nursery. Cdc moves "the schedule" around all the time. No big deal. I would more be concerned on not bringing covid home.

paperflowers

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:58 pm
Mine had her 6 month appointment two weeks ago and the doctor only gave her two of scheduled shots. So yes, she’s behind.

srbmom

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:03 am
My DD is 8 months and missed her 6 month shots. My ped told me to hold off on them because they're all boosters, so she should be ok. She told me to try and get them by 10 months so she could get her 1 year vaccines on time. I have her 9 month visit in a few weeks so if I end up going to that appt I'll do it then

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:46 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
None of the things we vaxx for are as catchy as covid. If you are sd'ing I dont see where baby can pick up the germs. I say remain calm. No big deal a few months off in the schedule. Its not some magic number by age. Kids will easily be up to date before pre-nursery. Cdc moves "the schedule" around all the time. No big deal. I would more be concerned on not bringing covid home.

Measles is. But that's not relevant for babies under a year old.
Pertussis is pretty close.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:56 am
Measles is. But that's not relevant for babies under a year old.
Pertussis is pretty close.

None of it is airborne for 27 feet, catchy hours later after aerosloized. None. Nor if you touch a surface 2 days later. Literally none. Please recognize covid for what it is. Way catchier than anything we have EVER known.

Those are regular catchy. Covid is hair trigger happy catchy.

tweety1

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 7:32 am
My baby is behind. She's 5 months old and never got shots. I'm not going these days. I'm taking one week at a time to see what happens.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 7:58 am

The thing my pediatrician is concerned about is if all the kids get behind in vaccines, we might be risking rip roaring resurgence of these diseases when daycares reopen. Even just rotavirus.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 8:25 am
None of it is airborne for 27 feet, catchy hours later after aerosloized. None. Nor if you touch a surface 2 days later. Literally none. Please recognize covid for what it is. Way catchier than anything we have EVER known.

Those are regular catchy. Covid is hair trigger happy catchy.

Do you have a source for 27 feet? Measles does indeed survive in the air for hours and infect people who weren't even in the room when the infected person was.

That's why we had a measles outbreak for a full bloody year and a half.

COVID-19 may survive on surfaces but that is not the main way it is transmitted. (Same for measles, btw.)

I'm not saying coronavirus isn't bad but do you REALLY want a resurgence of other diseases when this FINALLY ends? I sure don't.

My baby was housebound for an entire year (meaning so was I, unless DH wasn't working that second) due to the measles outbreak and we had a few months of normal life before this lockdown. I sure as heck don't want a third outbreak when we are FINALLY finished this one.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 8:26 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
The thing my pediatrician is concerned about is if all the kids get behind in vaccines, we might be risking rip roaring resurgence of these diseases when daycares reopen. Even just rotavirus.

Exactly my concern.

I wish it didn't take being a pediatrician for people to be able to see this.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 10:51 am
Do you have a source for 27 feet? Measles does indeed survive in the air for hours and infect people who weren't even in the room when the infected person was.

That's why we had a measles outbreak for a full bloody year and a half.

COVID-19 may survive on surfaces but that is not the main way it is transmitted. (Same for measles, btw.)

I'm not saying coronavirus isn't bad but do you REALLY want a resurgence of other diseases when this FINALLY ends? I sure don't.

My baby was housebound for an entire year (meaning so was I, unless DH wasn't working that second) due to the measles outbreak and we had a few months of normal life before this lockdown. I sure as heck don't want a third outbreak when we are FINALLY finished this one.

Im sorry you were housebound and for the medical issues you must have that led to complete housebound due to measles for a year. I hear what youre saying but personally fail to understand how anyone will come out of 2-3 months of isolation with a case of measles, or pertussis. I am sure the first month out of strict sd will have busier vaxx catch ups at the ped offices and its nice that they are accomodating with well only mornings. I just irl many households with positive covid, including symptomless babies and I knew 0 with measles and 3rd hand info about those who caught it on purpose, with very few 3rd hand accidental caught cases compared to covid. Covid legit seems way catchier. Close to 100 children in nyc in hospital from kawasaki like illness, I feel its prudent to take it as serious as it is. If someone doesnt want to chance it and gets their 4 month vax at 6 months old because of isolation, the risk is smaller than going to dr before peak of corona subsides. Just my opinion, no need to agree.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 10:56 am
I love these "magic" numbers of babies being up to date. By 5 months and 15 days they're not at risk for dtap hib polio pnueomoccocal, but 15 days later at 6 months, its omg they might catch measles? come on! Babies arent going out in public these days, to babysitters and so on, nothing will happen cuz they have no place to catch things from

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I love these "magic" numbers of babies being up to date. By 5 months and 15 days they're not at risk for dtap hib polio pnueomoccocal, but 15 days later at 6 months, its omg they might catch measles? come on! Babies arent going out in public these days, to babysitters and so on, nothing will happen cuz they have no place to catch things from

My baby is a year and half and still didnt get the MMR and its fine Im in no rush to give anything. Theyre not going out anywhere anyway

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:03 am
Im sorry you were housebound and for the medical issues you must have that led to complete housebound due to measles for a year. I hear what youre saying but personally fail to understand how anyone will come out of 2-3 months of isolation with a case of measles, or pertussis. I am sure the first month out of strict sd will have busier vaxx catch ups at the ped offices and its nice that they are accomodating with well only mornings. I just irl many households with positive covid, including symptomless babies and I knew 0 with measles and 3rd hand info about those who caught it on purpose, with very few 3rd hand accidental caught cases compared to covid. Covid legit seems way catchier. Close to 100 children in nyc in hospital from kawasaki like illness, I feel its prudent to take it as serious as it is. If someone doesnt want to chance it and gets their 4 month vax at 6 months old because of isolation, the risk is smaller than going to dr before peak of corona subsides. Just my opinion, no need to agree.

Thanks. But, the only medical issues (BH) were a baby under 1 year of age who was too young to be vaccinated for measles. I don't play dice with my children's lives and if that means staying home for a year, then that's what I do.

Why do you fail to understand how there can be an outbreak when people are catching COVID-19 and flu even when they are staying home?

The first month out of strict SD will not be enough to catch everyone up, and tons of people are going to be walking around and crowding and essentially trying to "make up" for the time they were stuck at home. There are lots of people pushing off routine appointments and there's no guarantee that pediatricians will take only vaccine make-up appointments during that first month back. There's also no guarantee that all pediatricians will make it through and there won't be thousands searching for a new pediatrician and in the meantime contracting who knows what.

You knew zero, but that doesn't mean there were zero. I know 1 household where there was COVID-19 and at least 3 where the baby had measles and not because the parents purposely exposed the child. So?

The only reason COVID-19 seems way catchier is that most of us are immune to measles but none of us were immune to COVID-19 before this started. We would have exactly what we have now with COVID-19, if none of us had immunity to measles prior to the outbreak.

As long as we keep unvaccinated kids home until they're caught up, even after the outbreak ends, you're right. If we send them straight back, or take them to malls, I don't want to think what might happen.

The question, as always, is one of risk vs benefit and it's not a question that should be decided alone, it's a question for your pediatrician, who knows your family's situation.

miami85

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:20 am
I am in a low-incidence area and we went for our 4-month visit last week. There were many precautions in place like only 1 parent and no one but the patient and no sitting in the waiting room etc.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics