Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Store owners, can you weigh in?
1  2  Next

giselle

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:33 pm
I’d love to give the local clothing stores business. But most of them are not accepting returns right now. Normally, I have no problem with a no return policy as we’d try on at the store. But that’s not an option right now with curbside pickup only. I’m actually surprised so many people are buying clothing without being able to try it on and no returns (or maybe they’re not buying?). Is this really better for business? I’ve just been doing all the shopping for my family online instead, where I can easily return. I really would prefer to shop at the Jewish stores for certain pieces, but I don’t want to take the risk.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:37 pm
I ordered from Double Header and Shirt Stop as they have always been online and always had 7 day return policies. And a lot from regular online retailers.

UQT

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:39 pm
Was wondering the same. I’m not paying $40 for a dress if I can’t try it first. I asked to try on in my car in front of the store for my four year old and was told I can’t. I ended up buying online.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:40 pm
How would you suggest handling the logistics? Do you feel comfortable purchasing clothing that has been in someone's home and on their body?

I have read an article on how some of the large department stores are going to handle when they open and they intend to quarantine returns for 72 hours although some types of returns like intimate apparel and bathing suits may be non-returnable.

I am not taking a position as at some point clothing needs to be tried on by most people in one way or another. However, like a lot of stuff necessary to get back to "normal", I am not willing to for myself or my family to be a guinea pig or "warrior" in terms of doing stuff that isn't essential.

I am amazed that others are playing Russian Roulette with their family's lives. While some people recover, there seems to be increasing evidence that some people have serious complications even when they recover and that recovery itself can be a long process for some. I have read accounts from survivors who were relatively young with no pre-existing conditions who, while not even admitted to the hospital, said they had never felt so sick nor had they felt so weak and sickly for such a long period after theoretically recovering.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:41 pm
I agree. One store finally let me come in for private appointment but no I will not buy online with final sale. Otherwise I’m ordering from department stores with amazing return policies

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:41 pm
I think that they're not allowing returns because they dont want the germs in their stores. I get that . Honestly though , the return policy in jewish stores were never great . Right now I think it's more of a germ virus issue.

giselle

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:44 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I think that they're not allowing returns because they dont want the germs in their stores. I get that . Honestly though , the return policy in jewish stores were never great . Right now I think it's more of a germ virus issue.

I guess that makes sense.. I feel bad because I really wish I could patronize them, and I also would love to buy some of the things I see advertised.

UQT

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 10:45 pm
If someone is allowing private appointments they aren’t worried about the germs. They are trying to get people to buy it and keep it, regardless if it works for them or not. I’m not so desperate....

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:24 pm
UQT wrote:
If someone is allowing private appointments they aren’t worried about the germs. They are trying to get people to buy it and keep it, regardless if it works for them or not. I’m not so desperate....

The local stores in my area are giving private appointments but you must put down $1000! Even if you don't buy for $1000 or you don't buy anything at all, they put it as store credit! You can share your appointment with one other person. It's beyond ridiculous.

sky

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 11:26 pm
I bought from tottini online.

You can ship back for 6.99 or drop off in box at whatehouse for free. I was so happy with that policy!!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 8:52 am
Please post in the lakewood scoop and the voice of lakewood. I would like some change and so does all my neighbors but we're all to week to speak up. You have to have enough money that it's not a huge financial loss if your stock with a top to big or small. Can accurately measure your child's sizes and be able to picture the fit on your child's body type. I thought with corona and all, and small business would be nice. To be honest I never liked their policy all year. I found it a chutzpah to charge so much money to give such a short return policy and as a "convenience" to their customers charge a fee to return the items for you. What a racket!

allergypro

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 10:26 am
I did my kids shopping at tottini.com
Their return policy is good and their customer service is fabulous!
I needed a few plus size swim dresses which run in the 70-90 dollar range. I would've loved to support a frum business, but amazon had it, and they allow returns. I can't afford to drop $80 with no return policy.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:04 am
I ordered from shirtstop. I tried to use the local stores but I was not willing to buy without a return policy. In addition, the stores that offered WhatsApp or email orders didn't have the decency to get back to me. They were also out of a lot of sizes online on the couple stores I checked. I was very very happy with shirtstop bh.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:15 am
Don’t expect frum local shop owners to accommodate your needs.
Many store owners don’t seem to appreciate their customers.
Their attitude conveys that they’re doing you a favor by allowing you to shop in their store.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:22 am
UQT wrote:
Was wondering the same. I’m not paying $40 for a dress if I can’t try it first. I asked to try on in my car in front of the store for my four year old and was told I can’t. I ended up buying online.

Online doesn't always help. I ordered an item from a Jewish owned store. I later realized that the color might not match to what I need it to match. I haven't even received the item yet. I wanted to return it as soon as I got it. Unopened package. "covid19 no return". I feel taken advantage of!! An opened package I totally get and wouldn't even try returning. But this is unopened in original package. I feel like the Jewish owned stores sometimes take advantage.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:24 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Don’t expect frum local shop owners to accommodate your needs.
Many store owners don’t seem to appreciate their customers.
Their attitude conveys that they’re doing you a favor by allowing you to shop in their store.

So true!! See my post above. I'm really upset. It's hard earned money.

Amarante

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:33 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
So true!! See my post above. I'm really upset. It's hard earned money.

While some small store owners have exemplary customer service, I think many non-frum boutique stores also have difficult return policies. It is not unusual for small non-frum stores to not have returns (only store credit) and have restricted return policies (e.g. very short return windows) or even restocking fees for certain types of merchandise.

Probably the issue is exacerbated when you have a captive market which many Frum stores have - either because they stock merchandise only available in certain stores or because geographically their customers don't have many options for one reason or another.

Not to hijack from another thread, but I don't understand people being frantic about purchasing toys for children in person. For me, a toy or a book is something that is so easily obtained on-line that I would not risk my health by purchasing it in. person. But I buy as much as possible on-line because it's easier and often there is much more available than I might find in person. I remember the *old* days when I might have to shlep from store to store in search of something as simple as a pan in the right size Very Happy

ecs

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:49 am
Amarante wrote:
While some small store owners have exemplary customer service, I think many non-frum boutique stores also have difficult return policies. It is not unusual for small non-frum stores to not have returns (only store credit) and have restricted return policies (e.g. very short return windows) or even restocking fees for certain types of merchandise.

Probably the issue is exacerbated when you have a captive market which many Frum stores have - either because they stock merchandise only available in certain stores or because geographically their customers don't have many options for one reason or another.

Not to hijack from another thread, but I don't understand people being frantic about purchasing toys for children in person. For me, a toy or a book is something that is so easily obtained on-line that I would not risk my health by purchasing it in. person. But I buy as much as possible on-line because it's easier and often there is much more available than I might find in person. I remember the *old* days when I might have to shlep from store to store in search of something as simple as a pan in the right size Very Happy

I ordered toys from amazon on April 19 and received it this past Friday. Kind of a problem if you need something quickly.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 11:58 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Online doesn't always help. I ordered an item from a Jewish owned store. I later realized that the color might not match to what I need it to match. I haven't even received the item yet. I wanted to return it as soon as I got it. Unopened package. "covid19 no return". I feel taken advantage of!! An opened package I totally get and wouldn't even try returning. But this is unopened in original package. I feel like the Jewish owned stores sometimes take advantage.

If the policy isn't 'strict' then people will attempt to circumvent it.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 12:15 pm
Stores should have a 1 to 2 week return policy even the boutiques your talking about don't make you return the same or next day you buy it. If you don't return it same day you have 2 more days to get store credit. For me weekends is when I do my shopping. One store doesn't let you return on sundays! In the winter I had the flu. The store refused to let me return on day 4 even with store credit. If stores would let returns up to 2 weeks it will slow the pace of the pre-Yom Tov mad shopping
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics