Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
If camps were to open up, would u send?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:03 pm
Hi
I’m a day camp Director in the city (one of the boroughs) and I am losing my mind. Many camps in our area are sending messages that they will be opening up as usual. but rreading the guidelines that were proposed by the cdc makes me think it’s impossible That camps will open up. Some examples:
1. No more than 10 kids per bunk
2. No common areas. (meaning no lunch room, swim, gym, courtyard etc)
3. Each kid needs to be at least 6 feet away at all times including activities
4. No sharing instruments - that includes even balls and jump ropes!
5. No sharing rooms with other bunks, which means no specialties rooms. That means that the specialties will go from room to room for the activities but your kids will be locked up in their bunk rooms the ENTIRE day!
6. All kids need to wear masks ALL DAY!
7. No open food can be served. So no baking or food decorating activities at all.
I can go on and on.
My question is, would you send your son / daughter to a camp with these guidelines???
Would u pay the full camp tuition for such a program? Is it worth our efforts to try to make this work?

sweetdimples

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:07 pm
hmmm tough question... are these the guidlines for daycamps in upstate new york as well?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:07 pm
If I desperately needed child care and it wasn't more expensive than a babysitter, yes. Otherwise no

mha3484

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:09 pm
I told my 9 year old that if there is camp it will be much more stripped down. No trips, no swimming etc and he told me he doesnt want to go. Guess he solved the problem for me?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:11 pm
sweetdimples wrote:
hmmm tough question... are these the guidlines for daycamps in upstate new york as well?

They didn’t specify locations.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:13 pm
No

SingALong

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:14 pm
I’d reiterate the following with the doh:

Can equipment be Lysol sprayed between bunks, like balls and jump ropes? Or designated ball, jump rope per bunk, and it’s kept in their own box?

Can specialty rooms be lysoled down, tables, benches, supplies, etc between bunks? The first bunk will disinfect when they are done, second bunk when they’re done, etc

Will the kids need masks when playing outside. For now plenty of people are in ny parks without masks....I don’t see y our kids should need them outdoors either.

I strongly believe that the NYC Dept of health will do all they can to open summer programs for kids. There no way they can allow for inner city kids to roam around bored...they’ll get into trouble and wreak havoc on the city. They have plenty of kids too. They will not be able to do only 10 kids per bunk and such strict guidelines. Have hope that you will be able to run an amazing fun filled program!

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:15 pm
I probably wouldnt send .

giselle

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:16 pm
I don’t think my daughter will want to go if she has to wear a mask.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:17 pm
Id send my kid yesterday if I could

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi
I’m a day camp Director in the city (one of the boroughs) and I am losing my mind. Many camps in our area are sending messages that they will be opening up as usual. but rreading the guidelines that were proposed by the cdc makes me think it’s impossible That camps will open up. Some examples:
5. No sharing rooms with other bunks, which means no specialties rooms. That means that the specialties will go from room to room for the activities but your kids will be locked up in their bunk rooms the ENTIRE day!
7. No open food can be served. So no baking or food decorating activities at all.
I can go on and on.
My question is, would you send your son / daughter to a camp with these guidelines???
Would u pay the full camp tuition for such a program? Is it worth our efforts to try to make this work?

I would assume that that if day camps are allowed to be open, they would be split with half the kids coming 2 days a week and half the kids coming the other 2 days of the week. That way school buses would have half the amount of kids so that social distancing can be worked out on the buses and in the classrooms. I would send so that my daughter has a chance at some semblance of a summer.

Regarding #7, you can individually package items for decorating and have fun with many food projects.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi
I can go on and on.

No no no.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:24 pm
SingALong wrote:

Can equipment be Lysol sprayed between bunks, like balls and jump ropes? Or designated ball, jump rope per bunk, and it’s kept in their own box?

Can specialty rooms be lysoled down, tables, benches, supplies, etc between bunks? The first bunk will disinfect when they are done, second bunk when they’re done, etc

Will the kids need masks when playing outside. For now plenty of people are in ny parks without masks....I don’t see y our kids should need them outdoors either.

I strongly believe that the NYC Dept of health will do all they can to open summer programs for kids. There no way they can allow for inner city kids to roam around bored...they’ll get into trouble and wreak havoc on the city. They have plenty of kids too. They will not be able to do only 10 kids per bunk and such strict guidelines. Have hope that you will be able to run an amazing fun filled program!

Sharing balls and jump ropes means sharing contact. Maybe if each kid would get their own jump rope.
Sending bunks from specialty room to specialty room would mean packed hallways which is a common area. Not sure how that would work unless there’s some sort of rotation.
They specified in the guidelines no playgrounds etc so I’m not sure the kids will be allowed out on the fields, but I guess I should get a clear answer on that.

How would parents feel if we gave Morah time to all grades for a nice chunk of the day to fill in a little materials that they have been missing? Some fun sheets and parsha?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I would assume that that if day camps are allowed to be open, they would be split with half the kids coming 2 days a week and half the kids coming the other 2 days of the week. That way school buses would have half the amount of kids so that social distancing can be worked out on the buses and in the classrooms. I would send so that my daughter has a chance at some semblance of a summer.

Regarding #7, you can individually package items for decorating and have fun with many food projects.

Buses are considered common areas. I don’t think they pass the guideline.
Good idea for #7 just a ton of work.

Sewsew_mom

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:35 pm
Absolutely not.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:36 pm
I would be afriad to send read the news kids are getting very sick

Amarante

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:39 pm
SingALong wrote:

I think the New York City run programs are closed this summer as are all the municipal pools.

ladYdI

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:41 pm
Daycamp is almost 2 months away
Who says we will need to still be so strict in July and August??!!

mfb

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sharing balls and jump ropes means sharing contact. Maybe if each kid would get their own jump rope.
Sending bunks from specialty room to specialty room would mean packed hallways which is a common area. Not sure how that would work unless there’s some sort of rotation.
They specified in the guidelines no playgrounds etc so I’m not sure the kids will be allowed out on the fields, but I guess I should get a clear answer on that.

How would parents feel if we gave Morah time to all grades for a nice chunk of the day to fill in a little materials that they have been missing? Some fun sheets and parsha?

I think this would be terrible for kids that have a hard time in school and don’t do well. They wait for the summer to be able to breath and be free of that pressure for a little bit.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 11 2020, 2:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi
I can go on and on.

Doesnt sound like camp, more like Maximum Security Prison

Do the kids get punished for not wearing mask
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics