Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Harsh letter from rabbanim in Florida (not about visitors)
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:12 am
I don't know how to upload a screen shot, but I found a link to the letter on Twitter:
https://mobile.twitter.com/avi.....68992
Maybe someone who is better at this can post the picture. In short, it says that anyone in their community who disobeyed the clear medical and halachic guidelines to refrain from davening with a minyan will be stripped of any leadership positions and will not be allowed to have any kibbudim.

What do you think of that?

ETA: https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:14 am
Honestly I saw the letter yesterday and I was horrified. Combined with the way the Florida community acted pesach time to new Yorkers I think that if we want Maschiach to come they better work on their bein Adam l’chaveiro.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:20 am
This is a letter from the rabbi/board of ONE shul to its members. Most people in Florida have never even heard of them. I have no idea what the story is or why they sent this letter, but your thread title is misleading and begging for disgusting posts like the one immediately after the op.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:22 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Honestly I saw the letter yesterday and I was horrified. Combined with the way the Florida community acted pesach time to new Yorkers I think that if we want Maschiach to come they better work on their bein Adam l’chaveiro.

Exactly, sharing is caring. Sharing covid is the ultimate in ahavas yisrael. True bein Adam lchaveiro.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:38 am
I'm kind of horrified at the wording of the letter. Doesn't show any compassion towards people who are really struggling. I'm not saying that holding a secret minyan is the right thing to do, but I think the role of the community rabbanim and shuls should be to try and support their congregants and there are other ways to tell them this was unacceptable.
Not a great look for the community recently.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:50 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I'm kind of horrified at the wording of the letter. Doesn't show any compassion towards people who are really struggling. I'm not saying that holding a secret minyan is the right thing to do, but I think the role of the community rabbanim and shuls should be to try and support their congregants and there are other ways to tell them this was unacceptable.
Not a great look for the community recently.

Which community does this represent exactly? The entire state? All young Israel shuls? The Jewish community? The frum Jewish community? For we each get to decide who we hate the most, and then decide this letter represents them?

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:53 am
I have strong reason to believe that this letter wasn't written by a rabbi, but rather a rabble rouser. It's very easy to print letters on letter heads. I have a hard time imagining a rabbi wrote the opening line.
Let's be dan lkaf zechus.

cnc

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:55 am
This is Young Israel of Deerfield Beach which a retirement community that’s officially 55+.
Most members are way older than 55. They’re part of the most vulnerable population and what they did was extremely reckless.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:56 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Which community does this represent exactly? The entire state? All young Israel shuls? The Jewish community? The frum Jewish community? For we each get to decide who we hate the most, and then decide this letter represents them?

Well doesn't look good for the entire Jewish community if this is how we support each other in incredibly trying times. The Vaad where I live has been sending out letters reminding us no minyanim etc. but mostly encouraging the community. Nothing like this.
Also doesn't look good for the FL community as an outsider looking in.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:06 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Well doesn't look good for the entire Jewish community if this is how we support each other in incredibly trying times. The Vaad where I live has been sending out letters reminding us no minyanim etc. but mostly encouraging the community. Nothing like this.
Also doesn't look good for the FL community as an outsider looking in.

This is not an attempt for Jews to support each other. We have been supporting one another in a million different ways since this started. And now one letter makes the entire Jewish community look bad for not supporting each other? Come on.

There are over 600,000 Jews in Florida, and thousands of shuls. And this one letter from one shul represents all of them? Again, come on.

ora_43

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:09 am
There are about a thousand Jewish schools that won't accept children whose mothers don't cover their elbows. This strikes me as a lot milder than that.

It's never nice to see someone publicly being told their behavior was "disgusting". OTOH, they ignored an explicit psak from their rav. And not, like, he said to only use Brand X of matza and they ate Brand Y - he gave an order about safek pikuah nefesh, and they ignored it in public.

How is the rav supposed to have any kind of authority if even people with important positions in the shul feel free to blatantly ignore him?

I mean it'd be nice to hear "don't worry, the letter is fake, everyone in Florida gets along fine," but if it's real I have some sympathy.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:09 am
This is not an attempt for Jews to support each other. We have been supporting one another in a million different ways since this started. And now one letter makes the entire Jewish community look bad for not supporting each other? Come on.

There are over 600,000 Jews in Florida, and thousands of shuls. And this one letter from one shul represents all of them? Again, come on.

That combined with other recent letters issued from the rabbinic powers that be within FL. Didn't happen in a vacuum.

Additionally, Florida's stay at home order exempts houses of worship, so they weren't even breaking the law. They had every legal right to hold a minyan.

Also, if the shul wanted to do this, that's their prerogative but I'm not sure why it needed to be circulated in a letter as opposed to like through a Zoom conference with the affected members.

ora_43

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:20 am
If one congregant is doing something that hurts another, there's no way to make everyone feel supported and happy.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:21 am
ora_43 wrote:
If one congregant is doing something that hurts another, there's no way to make everyone feel supported and happy.

True, but you could have a computer to computer conversation with someone instead of sending at a letter that would inevitably be publicized

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:25 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

Yea, its so disgusting the way they tried to protect their extremely elderly population! Its horrible. they should have let them all die so that the NYers could have a nice vacation over Pesach! So so disgusting.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:26 am
They did it go send a warning message to the rest of the congregants, obviously.
Their shul, their prerogative.
It wasn't about punishing these people as about preventing others from doing the same.
You don't like it, don't become a member or ever utilize their shul. Go elsewhere. There are plenty of others to choose from.
I have no problem with it.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:35 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
True, but you could have a computer to computer conversation with someone instead of sending at a letter that would inevitably be publicized

Have you seen the members of this shul? I would assume that many do not know how to use zoom. The average age is in the 70s.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:38 am
Have you seen the members of this shul? I would assume that many do not know how to use zoom. The average age is in the 70s.

And how old is the rabbi who is sending 70 yr olds such a letter?
#fakenews

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:40 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
That combined with other recent letters issued from the rabbinic powers that be within FL. Didn't happen in a vacuum.

Additionally, Florida's stay at home order exempts houses of worship, so they weren't even breaking the law. They had every legal right to hold a minyan.

Also, if the shul wanted to do this, that's their prerogative but I'm not sure why it needed to be circulated in a letter as opposed to like through a Zoom conference with the affected members.

Let's not forget the other rabbinic powers that be from outside FL that also issued statements before pesach: agudah, RCA, OU, young Israel, Lakewood vaad. Also the rabbinic powers that be in other oot communities such as Cleveland. Wow, so many opportunities to hate!

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:42 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
And how old is the rabbi who is sending 70 yr olds such a letter?
#fakenews

I'm inclined to agree. Just responding to the ugliness.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics