Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Are white cotton tights back in for kids? (BP chassidish)
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

nechamashifra

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:16 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Sad?? Fitting in?? Some people hold that at 3 you put on tights. What does it have to do with fitting in?? And why is it sad??? Nothing to be sad about!
It's sad that you're making fun of other's minhagim.

She wasn't making fun of other people's minhagim. The question wasn't about whether to wear socks or tights, but about whether white tights were still considered "untouchable" in her community as she had heard that it had made a comeback. And yes that is a very sad question.

It's one thing when kids reach the age (usually in their teens) where they feel like they have to wear the right clothes and have the right backpacks in order to fit in with their friends. It's sad that society causes them to feel that way and it's our job as parents and adults to teach them how wrong this is.

If anything, we should be trying to change all that is wrong in the world for our children, not guiding our children to perpetuate what is wrong in the world, especially when they are still too young to care.

So yes, asking about the colour and ribbed vs flat knits of tights for a three year old is very sad!

behappy2

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:19 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
She wasn't making fun of other people's minhagim. The question wasn't about whether to wear socks or tights, but about whether white tights were still considered "untouchable" in her community as she had heard that it had made a comeback. And yes that is a very sad question.

It's one thing when kids reach the age (usually in their teens) where they feel like they have to wear the right clothes and have the right backpacks in order to fit in with their friends. It's sad that society causes them to feel that way and it's our job as parents and adults to teach them how wrong this is.

If anything, we should be trying to change all that is wrong in the world for our children, not guiding our children to perpetuate what is wrong in the world, especially when they are still too young to care.

So yes, asking about the colour and ribbed vs flat knits of tights for a three year old is very sad!

ok. so now we established that she is human. like you. and me. and all of us. which may be sad, since we didn't get a choice to come down here as angels Smile

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:19 pm
We're doing chambray mostly with some other colors as needed, light gray, black, etc.

For Shabbos we do designed white or ivory.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:07 pm
behappy2 wrote:
ok. so now we established that she is human. like you. and me. and all of us. which may be sad, since we didn't get a choice to come down here as angels Smile

This response made me literally lol so thank you! I wasn't even going to engage with the bashers, whom I knew would feel their divine calling, to pass judgment on how pathetic and what a terrible mother I am, for caring that my child is dressed appropriately. I specifically stated that in the OP as well as mentioning in the title the demographic I was asking responses of but of course, comments such as those are de rigueur for this site.
Nonetheless, I recieved so many helpful responses and I really thank each person who took the time to advise!

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:16 pm
nechamashifra wrote:

It's not sad that you want to fit into the community and surroundings. It's human nature. No one wants their kids to be the nerd of the class.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:17 pm
I loved getting this tights education. My first daughter is turning 2 and I’m clueless about girl stuff.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:19 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I loved getting this tights education. My first daughter is turning 2 and I’m clueless about girl stuff.

You don't have to know much these days. Walk into Sock Shoppe and they will tell you all you need. Just make sure to come equipped with her shoes and outfits.

nechamashifra

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This response made me literally lol so thank you! I wasn't even going to engage with the bashers, whom I knew would feel their divine calling, to pass judgment on how pathetic and what a terrible mother I am, for caring that my child is dressed appropriately. I specifically stated that in the OP as well as mentioning in the title the demographic I was asking responses of but of course, comments such as those are de rigueur for this site.
Nonetheless, I recieved so many helpful responses and I really thank each person who took the time to advise!

I never said you were pathetic or a terrible mother, but ok call me a basher for giving my opinion.

nechamashifra

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:35 pm
It's not sad that you want to fit into the community and surroundings. It's human nature. No one wants their kids to be the nerd of the class.

That's exactly it. Until someone is brave enough to say screw this, I prefer ribbed over flat knits - you'll be raising another generation of girls looking for approval for every minor item of clothing they choose. What's the point in having a personal taste in anything if you're always going to be afraid to use it?

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:40 pm

three year old girls aren't tuned into their friends tights color.

I understand moms wanting their girls to be wearing the 'in' stuff - but lets not pretend its because 3 year olds care about hosiery colors.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:47 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:

I understand moms wanting their girls to be wearing the 'in' stuff - but lets not pretend its because 3 year olds care about hosiery colors.

There's nothing wrong with a mother wanting her kids to be dressed according to what's in style in the community.
And you'd be surprised what 3 year old girls are tuned into. Many can and do point out the nerds in the class.

bsy

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:55 pm
There's nothing wrong with a mother wanting her kids to be dressed according to what's in style in the community.
And you'd be surprised what 3 year old girls are tuned into. Many can and do point out the nerds in the class.

Lol. Girls pick up on what their parents or siblings say and think. They have no innate understanding of which 3 year old is nerdy. My kid was in a class with no chassidish kids. And came home begging for white tights like one girl wore. Yeah I think they're nerdy. But she was so excited to wear them, so she did.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:55 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:

Same. I’d let my kid choose between 2-6 coordinating colors to whatever outfit.

Maybe let her choose what color she likes better? (You choose the tights in different colors that coordinate the outfit and get what she likes better)
In response to my first comment I apologize if I sounded insulting it was not my intention

Ora in town

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My oldest daughter just turned 3 so into tights she goes! I know for a while white was considered untouchable but I heard it's coming back in? For example, with a pink sleeveless dress she's wearing a white shell. Does she then wear light grey or white tights?
And only the cotton ones right? Still ribbed or flat knit ok too?
BP chassidish/heimish circles.
You can judge me for caring but I want to do this right and not be "sooo nerdy" that she's even wearing tights.

really? Tights? In summer? at age three?
Isn't that torture?

amother
Silver

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:59 pm
Ora in town wrote:
really? Tiights? In summer? at age three?
Isn't that torture?

Lol. I can’t anymore. LOL
I think the OP got her advice. Can we discuss Cuomo now? and the “no school in September” announcement?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:01 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Isn't that torture?

This is the minhag in some families and sects. No, it's not torture. Why would it be?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:03 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Isn't that torture?

I just don't have words left anymore Banging head
I assume you won't believe me if I say she's very happy to wear them so let's move on being that it has no connection to the question I was asking.
This thread is done as far as I'm concerned.
Thank you.

flapsmom

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:04 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Lol. I can’t anymore. LOL
I think the OP got her advice. Can we discuss Cuomo now? and the “no school in September” announcement?

Yes! What announcement? How do we fire him!!!!!!!

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:06 pm

I agreed to your first point.

I have a three year old - and I don't see this... and now reading this makes me really really really sad.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:07 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Isn't that torture?

Hehe when I wore tights in Arizona in the summer I was boiiiiliiiiiing! Good thing I brought knee highs hehe. If I remember correctly it was in the high 90s.
I can’t imagine a kid so little sweltering in that heat.
But New York City is humid and sticky and not as hot, but still! Don’t the girls complain that it’s hot? That they are sweaty? Are they ever allowed to play comfortably without getting dehydrated? I’m totally for tznius but not quite as much when it affects the child’s health. (There’s such a thing as heatstroke, dehydration)
I’m curious as I don’t have girls yet and I didn’t grow up frum

Last edited by PeanutMama on Thu, May 14 2020, 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics