Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Transfer unemployment claim to a pua claim ny

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:51 am
Initially my claim was a ui claim and I was approved and receiving benefits. My claim now became a pua claim (telework available but I'm the primary caregiver with infant and toddlers and husband works) do I need to transfer the claim? File a new one? Or leave it as is. My employer when contacted will say there is telework available. Help!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 1:12 pm
I had the same question and I couldn't reach unemployment by phone to ask. I was told to just keep claiming regular unemployment.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 4:05 pm
I had the same question too! I tried multiple places but didn’t get answer so I decided to work on Sunday so I could be considered working and not lie and say I turned down work when it asks that question. At least until I figure it out. I didn’t want to lose the benefits.
But please post any updates if you find out anything.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:52 pm
File a PUA application. worst that can happen is you get rejected. If you're still getting ui benefits you will be ineligible for PUA, but if you stop getting ui you may be eligible. You can't get PUA if you can telework.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 7:20 pm
Ill check on Sunday, but I'm pretty sure that when you claim weekly benefits, it asks if you refused any work for any other reason EXCEPT - and then it lists a bunch of covid related reasons, including being the primary caregiver of children affected by school closures.

In other words, I believe you can refuse work if schools are closed and still claim benefits.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 7:26 pm
I researched it and you can claim pua if you can do telework but are the primary caregiver of young children.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:09 am
I work processing PUA claims. You're not eligible for PUA if you can telework. You can get PUA if you can't work at all because you've become the primary caregiver of young children as a result of Covid, e.g. they were in school and now have no school, or their daycare closed, or your babysitter could no longer work for you. HTH.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:30 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I work processing PUA claims. You're not eligible for PUA if you can telework. You can get PUA if you can't work at all because you've become the primary caregiver of young children as a result of Covid, e.g. they were in school and now have no school, or their daycare closed, or your babysitter could no longer work for you. HTH.

So let's get back to the original question. IF we have children at home and can't work at all, AND we were accepted to UI before telework was offered, do we need to switch to PUA once telework is offered but we are still unable to work due to having kids at home?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 11:10 pm
Not op but can anyone else help with this?
When going online to certify for ui-the first question is are you ready and available for work. Is the answer yes or no if you need to be home with your children but there is work available in the office during corona? (The question about refusing work is fine-says that if you have kids it’s ok.)
And if the answer is no-what do you do next?

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jun 02 2020, 11:31 am
This is part of a response I received from an organization helping ppl with this

“ A person in receipt of traditional UI benefits cannot convert to PUA benefits. But the good news is that the same rules regarding "good cause" apply to both PUA benefits and traditional UI benefits during this emergency.
When determining a claimant's eligibility for benefits the NYS Department of Labor will first determine an applicant's eligibility for traditional UI benefit and if found eligible they will receive traditional UI benefits, the claimant cannot switch to Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. However, please note that individuals in receipt of traditional UI are also entitled to the $600 per week of Pandemic Unemployment Compensation.

Individuals receiving traditional UI benefits may be unable to return to work for the same reasons that PUA claimants are unable to return to work. If this is the case, they would also continue to be eligible for continuing traditional UI benefits.
But please note the following:

If the claimant is the primary caregiver for a child unable to attend school or another facility closed due to COVID-19 that is a reason to continue to get benefits. However, these workers cannot continue to collect after the school year ends, absent some other qualifying circumstance. Why? Because traditionally claimants cannot receive benefits when the school year ends. And please note that this is true for PUA claimants as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics