Home

Another attack on democracy
1, 2  Next

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

simcha2

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 11:12 am
https://www.businessinsider.co.....020-5

Where is the outrage over this?

McConnell is trying to pass an amendment so that the FBI can address your browsing history without a warrant.

Fox

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 3:19 pm
Agreed. Senator Rand Paul spoke against the measure this morning. Hopefully he can sway a few votes.

Updated to add:

Best commentary on Twitter --

"Maybe they're just trying to legalize 80 percent of what the FBI has been doing already."

and

"Tell Lindsey Graham to get it passed. It'll never see the light of day."

simcha2

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 3:52 pm
It could have been stopped yesterday, but only 59 (not 60) votes for the amendment to do so.

simcha2

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 4:05 pm
Fox wrote:
Agreed. Senator Rand Paul spoke against the measure this morning. Hopefully he can sway a few votes.

Updated to add:

Best commentary on Twitter --

"Maybe they're just trying to legalize 80 percent of what the FBI has been doing already."

and

"Tell Lindsey Graham to get it passed. It'll never see the light of day."

I mean this in all seriousness, the majority of people voting to allow this are Republicans. How does that fit into the narrative of a) small government b) democracy and c)obamagate?

Jeanette

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 4:15 pm
Democracy is when duly elected state legislators are forced to cancel a session due to armed protesters.

Thank you, Trump!

MAGA! KAGA!

Fox

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 4:15 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I mean this in all seriousness, the majority of people voting to allow this are Republicans. How does that fit into the narrative of a) small government b) democracy and c)obamagate?

It doesn't. They're being shameless hypocrites and enabling precisely what they complain about.

And you're 100 percent correct -- people should be more outraged than they are. Maybe I missed something, but I can find nothing in my reading that explains why giving this additional power to the FBI is necessary or desirable. The very last thing the federal government needs is an additional "right."

Fox

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 4:19 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Democracy is when duly elected state legislators are forced to cancel a session due to armed protesters.

Thank you, Trump!

MAGA! KAGA!

This is a conversation about something going on in the Senate. It probably has more to do with some backroom Senate deal than with Trump.

Take a nap, and we'll call you when the next Trump thread gets going.

enneamom

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 4:27 pm
Is there a petition to sign somewhere?

DrMom

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 4:56 pm
Fox wrote:
It doesn't. They're being shameless hypocrites and enabling precisely what they complain about.

And you're 100 percent correct -- people should be more outraged than they are. Maybe I missed something, but I can find nothing in my reading that explains why giving this additional power to the FBI is necessary or desirable. The very last thing the federal government needs is an additional "right."

ITA with every word.

fleetwood

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 5:09 pm
Fox wrote:
This is a conversation about something going on in the Senate. It probably has more to do with some backroom Senate deal than with Trump.

That's pretty rude.

Fox

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 5:27 pm
enneamom wrote:
Is there a petition to sign somewhere?

Call or email your Senators' offices to voice your opinion.

#BestBubby

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 5:33 pm
simcha2 wrote:
https://www.businessinsider.com/mcconnell-patriot-act-renewal-fbi-web-browsing-history-2020-5

Where is the outrage over this?

McConnell is trying to pass an amendment so that the FBI can address your browsing history without a warrant.

For a change, we agree. I will definitely voice my protest.

Stop the spying - USA should not be a Police State!

Fox

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 5:42 pm
fleetwood wrote:
That's pretty rude.

Perhaps, and I truly don't like being snarky for no reason.

But I am also tired of seeing every single political thread hijacked in order to fan the flames of pro-Trump versus anti-Trump arguments.

If there is evidence that President Trump strongly backed this move by McConnell or that it's part of a Trump agenda, I'm happy to hear about it. I found nothing in my reading that indicated that. Those outlets that are significantly anti-Trump mentioned him only in the most general terms based on Trump and McConnell's shared party affiliation.

Engaging in simple mockery with "MAGA!" and "KAGA!" without contributing to the actual topic of the thread doesn't add to anyone's understanding and needlessly polarizes people for no purpose whatsoever. "We're all pretty much in agreement, so let's focus on something where we can go back to ripping one another's throats out" isn't a laudable position.

Also: Kudos to Simcha2 for starting this thread. A much-needed alert!

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 5:53 pm
Fox wrote:
Perhaps, and I truly don't like being snarky for no reason.

But I am also tired of seeing every single political thread hijacked in order to fan the flames of pro-Trump versus anti-Trump arguments.

If there is evidence that President Trump strongly backed this move by McConnell or that it's part of a Trump agenda, I'm happy to hear about it. I found nothing in my reading that indicated that. Those outlets that are significantly anti-Trump mentioned him only in the most general terms based on Trump and McConnell's shared party affiliation.

Engaging in simple mockery with "MAGA!" and "KAGA!" without contributing to the actual topic of the thread doesn't add to anyone's understanding and needlessly polarizes people for no purpose whatsoever. "We're all pretty much in agreement, so let's focus on something where we can go back to ripping one another's throats out" isn't a laudable position.

Also: Kudos to Simcha2 for starting this thread. A much-needed alert!

I totally agree. Maga Kaga was infantilizing this thread. It sounded just like jr high nonsense. What's KAGA?I have heard of MAGA KAG, but not the jr high version.

simcha2

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 5:57 pm
Fox wrote:

I agree I don't see Trump's hand in this (though that of course raises its own questions of awareness), but as McConnell has clearly had his own agenda for the past couple of years I'm not sure that is much comfort.

Fox

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 6:09 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I agree I don't see Trump's hand in this (though that of course raises its own questions of awareness), but as McConnell has clearly had his own agenda for the past couple of years I'm not sure that is much comfort.

McConnell's forte is the backroom deal. So my real question is who wanted this and what was traded to get it into the Patriot Act reauthorization.

On a side note, I haven't read anything compelling about why we keep reauthorizing the Patriot Act rather than put its worthwhile provisions into law and junk the rest. But I digress.

The only people I can see wanting this would be rank-and-file FBI agents who hate paperwork; SACs who are sick of their agents spending all their time on paperwork; and federal judges who would rather be on the golf course. None of those constituencies usually have enough clout to seal such a deal.

So, for lack of some Occam's Razer explanation, I'm up for any conspiracy theories.

simcha2

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 6:58 pm
Here's my take. I think many politicians, even those I disagree with some, or all, of the time, are actually trying to do what they think is best for the country.

So, I didn't vote for obama, and I certainly disagreed with plenty of his policies, especially with regard to foreign policy, but I never felt that he was acting at odds to what he truly felt was best for the u.s..

I don't feel that is true of McConnell, I think he's in love with the game, which makes his motivations both easier and more difficult to ascertain. I wouldn't be surprised if his motivation in this is simply his personal desires to have "something" on his opponents.

Jeanette

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 7:30 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Here's my take. I think many politicians, even those I disagree with some, or all, of the time, are actually trying to do what they think is best for the country.

So, I didn't vote for obama, and I certainly disagreed with plenty of his policies, especially with regard to foreign policy, but I never felt that he was acting at odds to what he truly felt was best for the u.s..

I don't feel that is true of McConnell, I think he's in love with the game, which makes his motivations both easier and more difficult to ascertain. I wouldn't be surprised if his motivation in this is simply his personal desires to have "something" on his opponents.

The way I see it, both parties see FISA as a necessary tool in the government arsenal with proper oversight and controls. We can hash out the details of exactly what those controls should be.

Everyone knows that the current attacks on FISA are not being made in good faith and are just a desperate attempt to deflect and obfuscate. It's really not working on anyone but the most hardcore Trumpists who were always going to vote for him anyway, as I wrote on a different thread.

Jeanette

Post  Thu, May 14 2020, 10:56 pm
fleetwood wrote:
That's pretty rude.

It's called bait.

Cheiny

Post  Fri, May 15 2020, 2:12 pm
Fox wrote:

Lol
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h