Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Photography expenses

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:00 pm
I was allowed to attend a family simcha recently as a the official videographer. To do the best job possible I bought myself a new camera ($70), tripod $15, high capacity/good quality memory cards $25+$13, and batteries $26. Total comes to $150. I partially did it b/c I wanted a newer camera but I mainly did it for the wedding. Obviously this is WAY cheaper than what a professional would've charged, and I felt bad that I didn't do SUCH a professional job--it's complicated, it was a strange simcha altogether so was difficult to get everything right never having done this before. What should I "charge" the family for my services? (I still have to edit the video, but I have a professional helping me with that). I also did a lot of other shopping and errands to help for the simcha. I'm not looking to make a profit, but is it appropriate to have them reimburse me for what I bought?

CiCi

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 10:00 pm
Did you discuss the terms beforehand? Did you say you will do it as a favor or for payment?

allthingsblue

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:05 am
They should definitely reimburse you for what you bought, but as far as photography and paying you for your efforts, that should have been firmly discussed beforehand.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:32 am
Things were kind of crazy in the days leading up to the simcha and we are very close, I bought a lot of stuff for the simcha and reimbursement was discussed, when I was asked to do it, I don't think they necessarily assumed I had everything, but I will discuss more with them.

CiCi

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Things were kind of crazy in the days leading up to the simcha and we are very close, I bought a lot of stuff for the simcha and reimbursement was discussed, when I was asked to do it, I don't think they necessarily assumed I had everything, but I will discuss more with them.

They got more than $150 worth of memories, regardless of the quality. Whatever expense you had should be reimbursed if you mentioned it beforehand. Especially since you are doing free editing ( good luck with that, it takes a lot of time...) so I would definitely not feel bad getting reimbursed for the video gear.

I'm just curious... what camcorder did you buy that only costed $70?

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:57 am
They'll reimburse/tip whatever they think is fair, you don't have to 'bill' them.
If you really want to, drop a hint, not a dollar price.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics