Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Will schools send new contracts for same tuition? Wwyd

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:25 pm
My school, at least one of them, usually sends tuition contracts very early, to be returned in June.

What would you do if they send you a contract for next year for regular tuition amount, when there is a chance that they will not be open for part of the year, and in that case I have to watch my kids and help them with schoolwork, so childcare etc.

I have to mention that generally they have not been good about giving a discount, have $200 per kid registration fee; and generally money flows one way with little consideration from them for fees etc. (in extenuating circumstances they gave me $20 off of each kid’s $500/mo tuition).

mha3484

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:22 pm
My school is keeping this years tuition for next year unless you can’t afford what you paid the past year and then you are supposed to apply for financial aid. Everyone else who was on financial aid keeps their obligation for next year.

happy chick

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 9:27 pm
I already signed a contract for next year before Purim. I expect they will charge tuition as we agreed whether school opens or were still going virtual. That's for one school. The other, I didn't deal w yet.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 1:51 pm
Bumping this up.

One of my kids school said, regular contract, if we close and you want to talk about it call then.

Meanwhile, you have to sign up for autopay.

That’s not q’a way to do business...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:01 pm
Consider yourself blessed if your contract does not reflect an increase in tuition fees.

My daughter’s HS raised mine (Brooklyn)

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bumping this up.

One of my kids school said, regular contract, if we close and you want to talk about it call then.

What about the fact that they charged full tuition for the last three months? I don’t think that’s ok either.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My school, at least one of them, usually sends tuition contracts very early, to be returned in June.

What would you do if they send you a contract for next year for regular tuition amount, when there is a chance that they will not be open for part of the year, and in that case I have to watch my kids and help them with schoolwork, so childcare etc.

I have to mention that generally they have not been good about giving a discount, have $200 per kid registration fee; and generally money flows one way with little consideration from them for fees etc. (in extenuating circumstances they gave me $20 off of each kid’s $500/mo tuition).

The school's costs for online education are not that much lower than in person. They do save on utilities (although the school will still have to be heated to some extent) and maintenance staff. That's probably more than eaten up with technology costs. And there's almost certainly a lot more need for financial aid as people lose jobs. (I lost mine, FTR.)

So, which of your kids' teachers should work without pay?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 3:19 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
The school's costs for online education are not that much lower than in person. They do save on utilities (although the school will still have to be heated to some extent) and maintenance staff. That's probably more than eaten up with technology costs. And there's almost certainly a lot more need for financial aid as people lose jobs. (I lost mine, FTR.)

My school didn’t provide online schooling. My kids had 1-2 hours a day over the phone. That’s it. Trust me nothing cost them more. If I pay x amount for 7 hours of teaching why should I pay the same amount for a fraction of that?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 4:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bumping this up.

So write in a clause and initial it, that says something like I reserve the right to renegotiate contract if school does not have full regular in person sessions.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 4:12 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

In that case they should spend the summer training on how to do remote teaching/learning properly. They should learn how to use all the digital platforms available, how to create digital worksheets so that parents don't need a printer, they should provide devices for each child, etc.

They did not deliver a polished product. I was somewhat ok with that and paid my tuition without a complaint. But if they aren't prepared this year, properly prepared (not emergency mode let's do something just so we don't bgo broke) and they can't communicate that to me, they can't charge same tuition.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics