Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
School for the coming year

Will you send your kids to school in the fall if school is open?
Yes.  
 89%  [ 52 ]
No.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
My kids will participate remotely till I feel it is safe to send them (whenver that is).  
 8%  [ 5 ]
I'm homeschooling next year.  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 58

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:36 pm
So tri-state-area compatriots, what are your thoughts about school next year?

Are you planning on sending your kids in whenever school opens?

If your school offers both in-school and remote learning options which will you choose?

4g01o

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:43 pm
I doubt schools will offer remote lessons if they're still teaching in the school once its fully open. Why should they? I plan on sending to school as soon as its been deemed safe to do so (when it opens lol) they won't open until it's safe.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:43 pm
I'd like to just give a blanket "yes" but considering that I took DS to his yeshiva's drive-through Lag B'Omer - which was done very nicely with recorded music, a fire in a metal garbage can, and each Rebbe gives his students a package - and the principal was walking up to each car to say hello from 12 inches away from each driver while holding a mask in his hand, I can't trust his judgment about health and safety on this topic.

PS We waved and drove right past him.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:45 pm
What is safe for the majority of people might not be safe for everyone, e.g. those with pre-existing conditions, etc.

ETA for that reason I'm sure almost all schools will be offering both options. They can't wait until it is completely safe to re-open but there are enough people who can't afford to expose their families to the outside world that early.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:48 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I'd like to just give a blanket "yes" but considering that I took DS to his yeshiva's drive-through Lag B'Omer - which was done very nicely with recorded music, a fire in a metal garbage can, and each Rebbe gives his students a package - and the principal was walking up to each car to say hello from 12 inches away from each driver while holding a mask in his hand, I can't trust his judgment about health and safety on this topic.

PS We waved and drove right past him.

And I was going to say the opposite.
Originally I would say no
But after taking my boys to the drive by Lag baomer event they had, plus talking to the principal and teachers about the emerging plans for the Siddur Party, Chumash Party, various Siyumim and graduation, I'm starting to be more and more confident with their restrictions and implementation as soon as it becomes legal.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 7:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is safe for the majority of people might not be safe for everyone, e.g. those with pre-existing conditions, etc.

ETA for that reason I'm sure almost all schools will be offering both options. They can't wait until it is completely safe to re-open but there are enough people who can't afford to expose their families to the outside world that early.

No way. As a teacher I can tell you with certainty that if the school told me and my coworkers that we had to do BOTH in person and online types of instruction (even if at the same time), we would quit.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:03 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
No way. As a teacher I can tell you with certainty that if the school told me and my coworkers that we had to do BOTH in person and online types of instruction (even if at the same time), we would quit.

Interesting. Maybe they will have young, low risk teachers teaching in school for those who want to send their kids in and older or high risk teachers teaching remotely for those who want or need to keep their kids home.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:06 pm
Why can't the teacher teach in the classroom and have a live feed for those who are immuno-compromised?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting. Maybe they will have young, low risk teachers teaching in school for those who want to send their kids in and older or high risk teachers teaching remotely for those who want or need to keep their kids home.

I hate to break it to you, but the teachers who are older and high risk also tend to be the ones struggling the most with remote teaching. Some of them have been great and really pushed themselves to learn, but some only have a few tricks they know.

I say this with love as a young teacher who's teaching her own classes remotely and running tech support for my older colleagues.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:08 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Why can't the teacher teach in the classroom and have a live feed for those who are immuno-compromised?

The way we teach in the classroom and online have to be different because an interactive discussion doesn't transfer well to a live feed, and I have no way of checking their finger's on the place online, and there's no supervised partner work the same way online.

Fave

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 8:10 pm
You betcha I will!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics