Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Private Schools Reopening
1  2  3  Next

Would you send to private school in NY if it reopened at their own risk?
Yes  
 64%  [ 89 ]
No  
 35%  [ 49 ]
Total Votes : 138

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:11 am
May I humbly suggest that private schools reopen at their own risk? NY is in no rush to reopen while most kids are mingling anyway. How about if our private schools get permission to reopen at their own risk and whoever is comfortable sending can send and whoever isn’t should stay home? Same with staff, whoever feels comfortable enough should go work and whoever still wants to distance should stay home?
Opinions welcome! As well as egg throwing (ducking)!

greengrapes

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:18 am
Agree with you. The kids are all playing together anyway. I think they shld open up without transportation so the kids are not on the bus for an hr together

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:19 am
No egg throwing necessary.
This is what many people want in some areas of the US.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:20 am
I do hear this. But have you seen the OU and Agudah guidelines for shuls, recommending waiting a full two weeks after official permission has been granted? I would assume that many schools are similarly circumspect.

fleetwood

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:29 am
greengrapes wrote:
Agree with you. The kids are all playing together anyway. I think they shld open up without transportation so the kids are not on the bus for an hr together

The kids are not all playing together. In any case, what happens to those who don't feel comfortable sending? Our kids don't get zoom sessions anymore??

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:31 am
fleetwood wrote:
The kids are not all playing together. In any case, what happens to those who don't feel comfortable sending? Our kids don't get zoom sessions anymore??

I think schools are looking into hybrid models.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:33 am
fleetwood wrote:

No reason why zoom shouldn’t continue from the teachers desk for those choosing to stay home. They can really make it work if they’d put their mind to it.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:33 am
They wouldn't get permission so the answer is no for me.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:36 am
I think part of all the school confusion also is the time of year it's a lot of work to reopen the school for 2-3 weeks then to close for summer if it was November now it might be easier to start a plan. And summer camp is so different and harder to put restrictions I am not ok with having summer school right now after everything my kids need a break not to sit in a classroom on beautiful summer days. But we a lucky to have a backyard that not all have so it's really not an easy answer.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 10:42 am
fleetwood wrote:

And the rebbes and Morahs don’t get unemployment (they’ve turned down a job), and they’re replaced.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 11:10 am
Yeshivas/BYs will not open before public schools because don't want to cause Anti-Semitism / chillul hashem - non-jews accusing jews of spreading disease.

Dr. Faucci, who has been WRONG on everything, is warning against re-opening public schools in the fall - YIKES!

Blue States will drag out the shut down as long as they can get away with it.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 11:17 am
California State University- the largest in the US already said they will not open in the fall

California is first in a lot of things that later become national.
Vaccination for school entry started in California.

chestnut

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 11:43 am
72% here said Yes, but when the day camp director asked if parents will be sending their kids to a day camp with imposed restrictions, the vast majority said no. Something isn't adding up here. Even if private schools will be allowed to open at their own risk (not happening, of course; Jews don't live in a vacuum), they'd still need to keep some restrictions.
And do you really want 7 graders and older on public buses now?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 11:52 am
Yes to reopening with transportation in my community. Life is back to normal here with no new cases BH. Only the chederim and schools are not functioning yet normally. I don't see the risk.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:12 pm
chestnut wrote:
72% here said Yes, but when the day camp director asked if parents will be sending their kids to a day camp with imposed restrictions, the vast majority said no. Something isn't adding up here. Even if private schools will be allowed to open at their own risk (not happening, of course; Jews don't live in a vacuum), they'd still need to keep some restrictions.

I didn’t mean with restrictions in place. Kids in my neighborhood mingling 24/7 so no need to suddenly SD in school.
Camps with restrictions remains a no no!

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:29 pm
There was a kindergarten in Rehovot that had to close back down about a week after re-opening because a teacher got sick and tested positive.
Any school would need a clear policy regarding illness because people who are mildly ill don't usually stay home but now the rules are different.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 1:58 pm
chestnut wrote:

Daycamp is all about sports, sweating and swimming. If you can’t do any of that it really defeats the purpose of daycamp . At school the kids will be sitting in desks. They could keep the desks spread further apart or put plexiglass partitions. At recess time they can divide the class into groups and the kids keep to the social distancing rules etc.
Of course there is risk. But I think in school social distancing is more doable and more worth it. But that’s my own opinion.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I didn’t mean with restrictions in place. Kids in my neighborhood mingling 24/7 so no need to suddenly SD in school.

I would only send to school with restrictions. Not all kids in my neighborhood are mingling. Not my kids. Some people have let their kids mingle from day one. I don’t allow my kids to go play with them just because others are . But I really think there should be a way to set up some type of learning in school. Maybe without school busses.

gold21

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:09 pm
Kids are not mingling where I live. At most, some kids bike with other kids outside, but not close together, they bike slightly further apart than they would normally. Many wear masks. I'm in a pretty jewish neighborhood. Is that unusual?

gold21

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 2:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Where do you live?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics