Home

WWYD? Medical procedure
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 6:17 am
DD has a rare medical condition and facial deformity that must be operated on before age 1 if we would like the procedure to work and heal properly. It is not just a cosmetic thing - it affects her eating and speech. She is currently 8 months old.

We are in Israel - the doctors here rarely see this condition (the most resent case in israel was 2 years ago and they operated out of israel), and while the dr. are all very keen to operate on her, every single medical advisor says we should do it out of Israel. Even the Kupa agrees to pay for for it.

We originally planned on going to CHOB in Boston, has they seem to be the most experianced. Then Corona happened. We don't know what to do - the dr.'s say that we should schedule for july but I am afraid of traveling, we can do it here but may have disastrous results ( a cousin had a similar issue, operated with the "top dr. " here and ended up moving to the states to fix the damage done with multiple surgeries) we can go now and risk covid, we can wait and risk the procedure not healing/irreversible damage.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 7:02 am
Please somebody say something! I am so nervous!!!
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 7:11 am
It's a difficult decision that I don't think anybody but yourself can make. If you consulted with a medical advisor and they advised you to travel then maybe you should do that. You may also want to take note, that the situation in the states is getting better every day bh.
Whatever decision you make may hashem give you loads of hatzlucha and a refuah shleimah!!
Back to top

amother




Oak
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 7:16 am
Go! Corona is less risky to your DD than not having procedure. DD must come first ❤️
Back to top

amother




Sapphire
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 7:20 am
I would go.
The Boston hospital and doctors are known for this.

The airline were open throughout Covid and people were constantly traveling.

Don’t be nervous just go.
Back to top

happyone




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 7:21 am
I would go assuming they are operating. I know they are now backlogged over 6 months and are picking and choosing their order of priority .
I believe safety measures will be in place now more than ever, and travel will not become any safer months down the line. masks may become our new norm. Go for it.

Good luck!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 7:22 am
What is DD gets Corona - thats what freaks me out.
The dr.'s all say that most kids get it very lightly, and that we should just go but I am nervous about flying + being in a hospital setting.

In the end of the day no body can promise us that she won't get corona or kowaski...

On the other hand I feel like we don't have a choice and just need to risk it - I'm just so stressed out
Back to top

sub




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 8:58 am
happyone wrote:
I would go assuming they are operating. I know they are now backlogged over 6 months and are picking and choosing their order of priority .
I believe safety measures will be in place now more than ever, and travel will not become any safer months down the line. masks may become our new norm. Go for it.

Good luck!


This.
First find out if you can get an appointment.
Then can you get advice from Fhurer, you know the one whom many go to for medical advice?
Back to top

amother




Mustard
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 9:01 am
I would take the chance . If chob can schedule the surgery and is willing to do it then go for it . Even if chas veshalom your child gets the virus you will be under chobs care . The risk is very small that your precious baby will have a complication from the virus but the risk of not doing the surgery or doing it in Israel is much greater right ? Then I say go for it . I'm not a doctor and I dont know your situation but my personal opinion is to go for it . Maybe speak to the dr at chob regarding the case and see what they say . Behatzlacha and refuah shlayma!!
Back to top

amother




Mustard
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 9:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What is DD gets Corona - thats what freaks me out.
The dr.'s all say that most kids get it very lightly, and that we should just go but I am nervous about flying + being in a hospital setting.

In the end of the day no body can promise us that she won't get corona or kowaski...

On the other hand I feel like we don't have a choice and just need to risk it - I'm just so stressed out

I know this sounds crazy but I feel like being in a hospital setting is the best place to be if you're worried about your child's health . They will be on top of the situation iyh . Hospitals are taking major safety precautions. Good luck with your decision .
Back to top

nanny24/7




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 9:17 am
Kawasaki is extremely rare and is not clearly linked to coronavirus. The link between the two is speculative right now and if there is any link it's only presumed that the children who developed kawasaki already had coronavirus for at least a month or so before developing this rare reaction. Doctors also say they are not seeing more cases of Kawasaki than a typical after winter season that had a rough flu season.
I would say go for the surgery.
Back to top

amother




Saddlebrown
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 9:19 am
On one side your daughter would have a definite permanent disability for the rest of her life. On the other side there is a slight risk of getting a disease that would in all likelihood be very mild for her, or for you also.

Unless she has other medical issues? Lung issues? Requires medication after the surgery that suppresses the immune system?

Maybe if you ask a Rav you’ll feel better about your decision.
Back to top

avrahamama




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 9:25 am
nanny24/7 wrote:
Kawasaki is extremely rare and is not clearly linked to coronavirus. The link between the two is speculative right now and if there is any link it's only presumed that the children who developed kawasaki already had coronavirus for at least a month or so before developing this rare reaction. Doctors also say they are not seeing more cases of Kawasaki than a typical after winter season that had a rough flu season.
I would say go for the surgery.


This is the most accurate and reasonable thing I have read so far. Thank you.
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 9:36 am
I would go. Take appropriate precautions and find out if the hospital will require you to quarantine for 2 weeks between flying and the surgery.
Back to top

amother




Slateblue
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 9:41 am
Go.

My DD also needs corrective cranial facial surgery before one ideally. We are still in picking surgeon phase but most likely will be at CHOP in July or August. You do what you have to do. Personally is do it sooner rather than later BEFORE people become more lax with social distancing.
Back to top

amother




Lavender
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 10:09 am
I live in boston and have friends working in hospitals (not that specific one but I assume it’s the same) + friends who’s child just had a procedure in children’s. You iyh are taking a very small risk. They are much more under control than the horrors you hear out of NY and are keeping Corona related things totally separate. (This is not like when there weren’t enough tests and gear and it was spreading within the hospital...)

Agreed with the above to call Rav F and her his guidance and beg and plead for an appointment in Boston even if they give u a hard time. I would not under any circumstances let the operation happen in israel and I would try my best to come ASAP as Boston and most surrounding area are all on lockdown and I would not want to come when it gets lifted, either because of a second wave or just in general how overwhelming it will be for the healthcare system.
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 10:20 am
First call them and see if they are booking for July or there are even any available appointments for July!
Back to top

amother




Blush
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 10:21 am
I’m in healthcare in the tri state area. I know this must be a hard place to be in. If I were you, I’d check if you can get an appointment and tentative surgery date and go to the states if they can give you a timeframe. Things are calmer now in terms of covid but there may be a big second wave, so best to do it now in the lull.
Back to top

amother




Sienna
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 10:22 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Go.

My DD also needs corrective cranial facial surgery before one ideally. We are still in picking surgeon phase but most likely will be at CHOP in July or August. You do what you have to do. Personally is do it sooner rather than later BEFORE people become more lax with social distancing.

Good luck op & slateblue...
Also kind of in same boat... curious which surgeons you’re looking into?
Back to top

CiCi




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, May 17 2020, 10:31 am
My motto is that you have to do what you have to do. What is bashert will be. I've seen healthy people pass away and unhealthy people recover. I've seen immunocompromised people being exposed to the virus and not getting any symptoms. The bottom line is that everything is bashert.

I've been to places where they give chemo and it's empty because people are afraid of the virus. That is way more dangerous for them. People are pushing off vital surgery and it's causing way more harm than Covid-19.

The virus rate is down. The hospital protocols are extreme in the prevention of the virus. It is a very safe place now.

Regarding flying, my friend and her entire family flew to Florida. I asked her if she wasn't scared of the virus. She said "of course not!" There are tens of thousands of who are already traveling by air. Don't worry about it.

Do what you have to do. Leave the rest up to Hashem. It will be fine. May the surgery be with much hatzlacha and she should have a complete recovery!


Last edited by CiCi on Sun, May 17 2020, 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
A Young Man Forced To Deal With Medical Issues Alone
by Yael
0 Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:36 am View last post
by Yael
WWYD - should I tell my child to quit?
by amother
41 Wed, Jul 01 2020, 1:13 pm View last post
Medical bills
by amother
2 Wed, Jun 24 2020, 10:54 am View last post
by SYA
She Never Disclosed the Family Debt From Medical Bills
by Yael
0 Tue, Jun 23 2020, 10:53 am View last post
by Yael
Oral surgeon in Ezra Medical Center?
by amother
3 Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:42 am View last post

Jump to: