Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Cold or allergies?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 7:40 pm
How do you know when it’s what & is there a test to see if it’s allergies?

momof2+?

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 7:48 pm
Does the person with the symptoms usually have seasonal allergies? A cold will start out (sorry tmi) clear, but after 2-3 days turn yellow/thicker. Seasonal allergies stays clear and drippy. It's accompanied by itchy eyes, nose and throat. May be worse in the mornings and more manageable as the day goes on.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 8:04 pm
momof2+? wrote:
Does the person with the symptoms usually have seasonal allergies? A cold will start out (sorry tmi) clear, but after 2-3 days turn yellow/thicker. Seasonal allergies stays clear and drippy. It's accompanied by itchy eyes, nose and throat. May be worse in the mornings and more manageable as the day goes on.

We’re talking about a toddler here, so can’t really say about past.
No itchy eyes. Is yellow/thicker so I would think rather a cold. But had a CBC where eosinophils were elevated so they said probably because seasonal allergies. Which doesn’t make sense to me... I’m just trying to figure out how I would rule that out?

anonymrs

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 8:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We’re talking about a toddler here, so can’t really say about past.
No itchy eyes. Is yellow/thicker so I would think rather a cold. But had a CBC where eosinophils were elevated so they said probably because seasonal allergies. Which doesn’t make sense to me... I’m just trying to figure out how I would rule that out?

Why doesn't this make sense to you? Eosiniphils can also be elevated from food allergies.

anonymrs

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 8:24 pm
Also kids with allergies who constantly have too much fluid are more likely to get colds, ear infections, etc. When too much fluid sitting around, prime location to breed bacteria. So allergies can become cold.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 8:25 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Why doesn't this make sense to you? Eosiniphils can also be elevated from food allergies.

No new foods so seasonal allergies were suggested. I’m just trying to get to the bottom of what’s really going on...

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 8:38 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Also kids with allergies who constantly have too much fluid are more likely to get colds, ear infections, etc. When too much fluid sitting around, prime location to breed bacteria. So allergies can become cold.

Isn’t cold viral though?
And I honestly don’t think this is the case here. So confused.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 8:51 pm
You can give an antihistamine and see what happens. Though to be fair they can clear up cold symptoms too. There is no definitive way to figure out, though with time you can see if it gets better, worse, stays the same, etc. also, nasal swab? You can ask for environmental allergy blood test panel, but it’s not conclusive in any way
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics