Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DD can't fall asleep at night

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:29 pm
DD is 7 and doesn't fall asleep until 11:30 or 12. She wakes up around 8. We tried melatonin for a while, it helped her fall asleep but then she would wake up at 1 or 2 in the morning. Around Pesach we had to stop melatonin because it wasn't KLP and started letting her come in our room at night. It's now a nightly thing and that's where she falls asleep for the night.

We put her to bed around 8:30. No screens after 5. What else can I do? I think it's at least partially anxiety, can a therapist help with this?

happy chick

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:37 pm
Following.....
DD is 9 and is up until way past 10, sometimes even 11.she goes to sleep around 8:30 and is up around 7ish.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:41 pm
My daughter was like this til we found out she had pandas. Since we treated her, Bh she is doing so so much better. It rarely happens that she struggles to fall asleep.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 11:45 pm
When I was a kid and had a rough time with anxiety, someone (I can't remember who) gave me something - I can't remember if it was a box, a journal, or a doll or something, I know over the years it changed so I don't remember what came first but the basic idea is:
Box: write down what you're anxious or worried or scared etc about and then lock it away in the box before you go to bed
Journal: same idea as the box
Doll: a super special doll that will hold your worries for you so that you can sleep at night. Just whisper them in her ear.

And if she doesn't already say hamapil before bed it could help.

And to answer your question: yes, I think a good children's therapist could help her with coping skills and help her to verbalize or somehow get out her anxiety in a constructive way that can help bring her peace at night and throughout the day.

Another thing that always helped me fall asleep and stay asleep when I couldn't was warm milk with honey.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 12:07 am
You might want to try a lower dose of melatonin. Other than that, GABA, tryptophan, taurine, magnesium, l theanine, ashwahganda, lemon balm, valerian, phosphatidylserine are all very calming. Epsom salt baths. Sleepy time tea. Cherry juice concentrate.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 7:12 am
My DD who is 10 was recently unable to sleep at night. She’s a perfectionist and also these are weird times for a sleep wake cycle because the days can be boring. I told her that I went through the same thing when I was young (I did). We brainstormed to find things that she likes to do (baking, cooking, art). I go to sleep early but I can do things with her in the morning. Yesterday we were busy all day and went out to a public waterfront area, then she went biking, so B”H she was able to sleep nicely. I think it’s a combination of the perfectionist anxious tendencies plus the lack of being busy enough. That’s what it was for me when I was younger. As an aside, my kids go to bed around 9:30 these days. I think they are getting enough sleep with that bedtime because they only need to wake up at 8:30. Do you need more than that? Maybe be less rigid about the bedtime and let her read in bed or listen to music.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 7:41 am
I had a rough time falling asleep as a kid.
When my family moved to Israel and they had these things called trisim, heavy blinds that block out all light I discovered that was the problem.

Maybe it's too light, or too dark. I couldn't sleep if there was a speck of light in the room. Maybe she is too hot or too cold.

Ora in town

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 7:45 am
Is she tired at all?
Some children need less sleep...
to me it does not look preoccupying...
I would let it self-regulate and not give melatonine...
No screens in the evening is a good approach...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics