Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Serial in the ami- chava and shulem
  Previous  1  2  3 20  21  22 28  29  30  Next

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 21 2020, 8:28 pm
mamma llama wrote:
Honestly, I don't understand how Sholom thinks to himself "Hey, why don't I go to prison for two years, rather than wait a bit and maybe not go to prison at all". That part just doesn't make sense to me - no matter how good he thinks he looks in orange... Can't Believe It

Black is the new Orange 🤪

shaindeldevora

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 2:38 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Just read this week’s chapter... I think their communication is getting better but I still don’t like the way Shalom is acting.
I still don’t feel like he’s treating Chava as his wife. He’s gentle with her and protective of her but he doesn’t really share enough and care about her opinion.
She “respects” him.. but too much.
They’re not on equal footing like a husband and wife should be. He’s way too “in charge” and she’s almost like his kid, which at least he loves but it’s still not good enough. It’s 2020.....! Makes no sense for a couple to be like that.

And it’s like she’s so worried he’ll chuck her when really at the end of the day he’s the one who actually messed up much bigger than her.
She’s in love and apparently so is he, but that’s it. There’s no real emotional connection which would include more trust and respect on his part.

This!! Completely agree with everything you say. She goes out of her way to get her father to pay for the new lawyer, camps out at the lawyers house, goes to the office, makes sure he's paid etc etc. Then she sets up an apt beautifully, cooks for him, rejects her family for him. He gets there, when the lawyer calls he walks out on her. When they do go to the lawyer, the one he begged her to get for him again, he ignores the lawyers advice and doesn't consult her and makes a decision.
Shalom, an admitted drug smuggler (ignorance of what was in the package doesn't equal innocence), has consistently belittled and demeaned Chava. He deserves a long prison sentence, she deserves a Get and to move on with her life, rather than living with an arrogant law breaking know it all.
Of course we all know where the story is going though, the big cliffhanger this week where it's said "this could be our last night together" already foreshadows her getting pregnant again. Just when she's able to sever her ties to this arrogant piece of work she will be tied to him. He will serve his time (or not) until he decides to unilaterally make another devastating decision to destroy Chava's world.
Not that I have any feelings about this lol

Kinor Dovid

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 3:45 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
This!! Completely agree with everything you say. She goes out of her way to get her father to pay for the new lawyer, camps out at the lawyers house, goes to the office, makes sure he's paid etc etc. Then she sets up an apt beautifully, cooks for him, rejects her family for him. He gets there, when the lawyer calls he walks out on her. When they do go to the lawyer, the one he begged her to get for him again, he ignores the lawyers advice and doesn't consult her and makes a decision.
Shalom, an admitted drug smuggler (ignorance of what was in the package doesn't equal innocence), has consistently belittled and demeaned Chava. He deserves a long prison sentence, she deserves a Get and to move on with her life, rather than living with an arrogant law breaking know it all.
Of course we all know where the story is going though, the big cliffhanger this week where it's said "this could be our last night together" already foreshadows her getting pregnant again. Just when she's able to sever her ties to this arrogant piece of work she will be tied to him. He will serve his time (or not) until he decides to unilaterally make another devastating decision to destroy Chava's world.

Yes, personally I don’t think he deserves a long prison sentence I think he’s just ignorant and a young and stupid know it all.
I think he needs a really good chosson Rebbi who will explain to him what a marriage is all about and that a husband and wife are equal and that they just have separate roles and he must stop treating her like a little girl and start treating her and relating to her as a WIFE.

It would help if she would assert herself to make sure she doesn’t get stepped on, maybe that’s where the author is trying to get....
He makes life decisions without even asking her for her opinion. When he spoke to his Rosh Yeshiva he should have already known what her opinion was, she should have been part of that conversation.
In real life the Rosh Yeshiva would also ask what does your wife say, etc. (Maybe he did, we dont hear his part of the conversation).

If their relationship doesn’t improve then even if he does get off Scott free somehow she’s still in a sad marriage where she’ll always feel belittled, shut out hurt and frustrated.
I don’t want to say emotionally abused, but it can definitely turn into that pretty fast.
Right now I’m just glad Chava is not a real person and not just because of the drug crisis.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:16 pm
I only read this before Shabbos bec I cant wait...
That’s my toameha! Smile
I rip open the magazines the day they come out & read the serials. the rest I save for shabbos.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:42 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:

She had plenty of chances to get out, and her parents very much encouraged and supported that decision. If she keeps coming back no matter how she's treated, then that's on her. And she should certainly have enough self preservation at this point to make sure she doesn't get pregnant before things are more settled.

ExtraCredit

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:44 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
She had plenty of chances to get out, and her parents very much encouraged and supported that decision. If she keeps coming back no matter how she's treated, then that's on her. And she should certainly have enough self preservation at this point to make sure she doesn't get pregnant before things are more settled.

I hope she comes on here once a while to read our suggestions!

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 9:36 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I hope she comes on here once a while to read our suggestions!

LOL
Yeah, she should take birth control and ask us which therapist is good...

Chaya123

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 11:35 am
Wow, things are beginning to move really fast! I was actually shocked by the outcome. I feel so bad for Chava! Poor girl, so alone and lost! She can really use tons of support now. Sad

clowny

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 11:44 am
Chaya123 wrote:
Wow, things are beginning to move really fast! I was actually shocked by the outcome. I feel so bad for Chava! Poor girl, so alone and lost! She can really use tons of support now. Sad

Don’t worry. Some kind of Miracle will probably happen in the next 24 hours until he reports back to prison.

shaindeldevora

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:03 pm
Please mark posts with *spoiler alert* when discussing chapters others may not have read yet. Please!

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:12 pm
clowny wrote:
Don’t worry. Some kind of Miracle will probably happen in the next 24 hours until he reports back to prison.

LOL Laugh

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 12:32 pm
clowny wrote:

I doubt it.

realsilver

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 1:29 pm
Chaya123 wrote:

What happened this week?

mom2mysouls

Post Fri, Nov 27 2020, 2:23 pm
I didnt read yet this weeks ( I save it for Shabbos)..but why is everyone feeling bad for Chava?

A rich girl that always had everything perfect, parents were always protective..they got her this sheltered "top" boy. It is possible he was so holy and naiive, he wouldnt even suspect his friend to send an illegal pkg...

I know it's not a real story. But this can happen in real life. Maybe that's actually the moral of the story, since most Jewish stories end with a good moral.

But she keeps running back to him. Whether she likes him, wants to get away from her parents, or is afraid what everyone will say if she leaves, she is her own worst enemy.

Siriusly?

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 12:05 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I was always wondering the same, if there's a machlokes if he actually was her uncle although it's clearly written in the megillah that they were cousins. I always wanted to see sources to the contrary. Please share!

The pasuk in the megillah states that Mordechai raised his cousin as a daughter (bas). The Targum clearly states that Mordechai’s father Yair and Esther’s father Avichayil were brothers. There is an opinion in the Gemara that “bas” is to be read “bayis” and interpreted as his wife, rather than her being raised as a daughter.

There are, however, no traditional Jewish sources for Mordechai being her uncle. The earliest source for this is the historian Josephus, and another widespread one is the Vulgate, the Latin translation of the Bible that was adopted as the official version by the Catholic church....

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:08 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
Please mark posts with *spoiler alert* when discussing chapters others may not have read yet. Please!

I don’t click in here before Shabbos for this reason. Smile
Wow 24 hours to say goodbye...

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Dec 04 2020, 2:55 pm
Hey anyone read the serial this week yet?
Sad, but MAJOR progress in their relationship!
I’m starting to be hopeful....that they may still be very happy together one day, hopefully soon!
And hopefully Chava will continue to use her bina yesaira to protect herself (and her husband) and her home always.
It’s an amazing story.

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 6:43 pm
Hey anyone read the serial this week yet?
Sad, but MAJOR progress in their relationship!
I’m starting to be hopeful....that they may still be very happy together one day, hopefully soon!
And hopefully Chava will continue to use her bina yesaira to protect herself (and her husband) and her home always.
It’s an amazing story.

So... spill!!!

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Dec 05 2020, 7:59 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
So... spill!!!

Ok I’m trying to remember what I read on Friday! Smile
Basically before they leave the courtroom Shalom decides on his own again, and tells Erez not to appeal the one year sentence and that he wants to just serve his time and get it over with. Chava is upset and she bursts out to him later at home when he asked if she’s ok that she’s really not, because he’s going to prison and also that he makes life decisions that affect both of them all by himself like for example now with deciding himself not to appeal without even discussing it with her, Shalom sincerely apologizes and explained that he’s just so used to being an independent single but that hes wrong and now they should be making these decisions together as a couple and she should please remind him if he ever slips and forgets that. Chava then wants him to share exactly how everything happened with every single detail and he tells her the whole story and they have a real heart to heart talk about how it all unfolded.
Then on his own he asks her what does she actually want to do, does she think THEY should appeal or not, and after she hears that he was living in fear for so long and it’s a relief for him to just know his sentence she agrees that they probably shouldn’t appeal.
Her mother calls and tries to convince her to come home to her own private suite (not divorce) and she declines.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 09 2020, 7:38 pm
Is it true that the serial ended? Please spill all the deets!
Page 21 of 30   Previous  1  2  3 20  21  22 28  29  30  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room