Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
POLL What do you do on Shavous?
1  2  Next

Do you have a Milchig Meal or a kiddush?
We have a milchig meal and Im chassidish  
 13%  [ 17 ]
We have a milchig meal and Im not chassidish  
 48%  [ 63 ]
We have a milchig kiddush and Im chassidish  
 24%  [ 32 ]
We have a milchig kiddush and Im not chassidish  
 13%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 129

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:12 pm
I was having a discussion with DH about making a milchig meal or milchig kiddush. We're chassidish and the minhag in our family is to make only a milchig kiddush and fleishig meal. I was saying that lately a lot of people even chassidish are doing milchig meals. So curious what people do here.

Blessing1

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:18 pm
Chassidish, Milchig kiddush.
My parents always have a proper milchig meal.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:21 pm
This post just made me so excited for blintzes lol

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:23 pm
Milchig meal. Not chassidish. Dh and I love milchig food and never thought it was a problem to have the whole meal milchig. Besides, that's also how dh's parents did it.

sky

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 1:26 pm
My father has a heimish background. He would never have a dairy only meal in his home on yom tov.

DH is yekke/yeshivish. We eat first night dairy only meal per his minhag. When my father is in my home he eats the dairy meal. He used to have some deli after the meal to be yotzei eating meat but the last few years he stopped. I think he really appreciates drinking coffee at night.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 2:35 pm
RW MO. I always have to negotiate with my husband to even have one dairy meal: he far prefers meat!

Newmami

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 2:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was having a discussion with DH about making a milchig meal or milchig kiddush. We're chassidish and the minhag in our family is to make only a milchig kiddush and fleishig meal. I was saying that lately a lot of people even chassidish are doing milchig meals. So curious what people do here.

chasidish and milchig meal.
Yum was just making my menu. Tongue Out

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 2:38 pm
1 milchig meal, the rest fleishig. Same as parents and inlaws. Yeshivish

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 3:41 pm
My husband, who could eat basari all day long, loves having pareve/dairy meals on shavuot. We are MO/DL.
Grew up the same way.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 3:48 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
My husband, who could eat basari all day long, loves having pareve/dairy meals on shavuot. We are MO/DL.
Grew up the same way.

I couldn't imagine eating meat on Shavuot. Its all dairy or parve for us.

MO

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 3:48 pm
I'd have all the meals dairy if I could. Love, love love this YT when I can have real ice cream for dessert. DH is a carnivore, though, so I have to serve some fleish.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 3:49 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

MO

The only times of the year we eat dairy is 9 days and Shavuous: and even then only day meals (but with Shavuous being 1 day Shabbos we will likely only do 1 dairy meal)

etky

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 9:49 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

MO

Same.
Meat on Shavuot?
Blasphemy Not listening

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 10:40 pm
No milchig, because we never eat milchig and I don't have any of the utensils!

Talking of shavuos traditions, for the past few years I've been telling my conversion story to a group of women on shavuot. It's brought me to all kinds of interesting kehilot (in Israel) and talking with the women afterwards gives me lots of inspiration and encouragement. Not sure what will happen this year, perhaps via zoom?!? Still waiting to see how the situation will be.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 10:49 pm
Thank g-d my family only does a milchige kiddush! I am allergic to dairy. A full dairy meal would not be fun!

amother
White

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 11:31 pm
I voted kiddush, cuz we don't have hot milchigs.
But I'll tell you the truth about how I feel:
We serve a huge ice cream bar at the kiddush
And I eat enough to make it a meal!

amother
Violet

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 11:32 pm
My family never did a milchigs meal, and I’m chasidish. But my father hates milchigs.

My husbands family is also chasidish and did one milchigs meal. I took that and ran with it. I’m so happy with dairy! I even started doing it for succos and for pesach for a meal, because ten meals of back to back fleishigs is just too much.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 12:24 am
I grew up having at least one dairy meal during each chag, usually at night because it's hard to eat heavy meals so late. My mother has special fancier dishes that she only makes for R"H, Succos, and Shavuos (Pesach is a whole other story). DH grew up with only meat meals but that's only because his mother found it easier to cook like that plus some family members are lactose intolerant. He loves dairy and is so happy to have dairy meals on Yom Tov in our home.

Shavuos we usually do 2 meat and 2 dairy/pareve meals and of course we have cheesecake and other decadent dairy delicacies for dessert for the dairy meals. Unfortunately we can't have company this year so we'll probably scale down a bit because we shouldn't be eating such fattening foods ourselves without any help.

ETA: We're RWMO, but my mother is a yekke.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 12:32 am
We're not chassidish and we have one milchig meal.
My dh hates this and even though I grew up with, and really enjoy having, one milchig meal during a yom tov, usually the second evening, I've given them up.
Our compromise - that dh complains about every year - is one milchig meal on Shavuot.
He isn't complaining due to minhag, his parents are baalei tshuva, but because he loves meat.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 2:57 am
Growing up my mother always served one milichig meal. My in-laws do a Milichig kiddish and then a relishing meal.
When we tried the kiddish and then fleshing meal thing, e/o was full from kiddish and didn’t eat a thing. So last few years I asked dh if we can just do milk meal, he said he’s fine with it, so I find it works much better. Together with kiddish, I make a salad, pasta, and a fish, maybe another veggie side. usually all parve since my kids and I don’t like cheesy things.
This year with that meal being Friday, I def want to do that. Don’t want to mess up my fleshing dishes and stuff right before Shabbos, and then have a huge cleanup erev Shabbos.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics