Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How do you take care of you natural hair?
1  2  Next

Newmami

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:33 pm
Ok so I'm the only one in my family not shaving.
So don't have anyone to ask.
How do you take care of your hair?
I wear a sheitel all day and my hair gets tangled like crazy.
I only brush it once in a while cause its so bad.
How do I keep it neat?
Also, any products I can use to keep it healthy?

hodeez

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:34 pm
Cut it shorter. When you put it in a bun twist it around your pony tail and then secure

Newmami

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:37 pm
hodeez wrote:
Cut it shorter. When you put it in a bun twist it around your pony tail and then secure

Its shoulder-length and if it's a bun won't it be too obvious?
Right now I just put in a pony and then tuck it in

lovingmommy3417

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:37 pm
I put it in a low pony and then flip it up and bobby pin it with 2 pins to the top of my head. I've done this with long and short hair.
What are you currently doing?

Newmami

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:40 pm
lovingmommy3417 wrote:
I put it in a low pony and then flip it up and bobby pin it with 2 pins to the top of my head. I've done this with long and short hair.
What are you currently doing?

Or just pony and tuck it in
Or on top of head with pin.
But it still gets tangled.
I have a lot of thin hair and it gets so bad.

sarahmalka

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:41 pm
How to take care of it depends on the type of hair you have. For instance my hair is curly and for curly hair it's better to not wash too much (I do 3 times a week, or more if it gets dirty obv) and it's best to not brush curly hair much. I only do in the shower to get out the tangles. But I massage my scalp around daily because that's healthy. But my kids hair is all straight and thin, which requires more frequent washing- like daily, so it doesn't get too oily. Lots more brushing too. I don't blow dry my hair because that can be too harsh and not good for the hair (especially my hair tends towards dryness) same with using lots of products. Basically I just keep it as natural as possible (including no hair dye) and I use natural shampoos and conditioners, free from SLS, parabens, etc. It definitely doesn't look as healthy as it did before I started covering, but it's still quite pretty B"H given that it's covered up all day! Another weird tip is that when you wash your hair, at the end of the shower end with a cool water rinse: good for the skin! And lymph system, etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:41 pm
Is your hair curly or straight?

If curly, try doing a conditioner only wash, and a detangling spray whenever you comb out. Check out "The Curly Girl Method."

If straight, use a clarifying shampoo, and then towel dry. Take about a tablespoon of conditioner and rub it through your hair, and then comb out and let it dry.

Coconut oil is an excellent conditioner, and can also help keep your scalp from getting greasy or flaky. You will smell yummy, though. Very Happy

All the above steps have to be done in the right order, or you'll just be rinsing out your product and getting tangled all over again.

If you want to keep your hair long, wear it in a braid at night to protect the length and prevent tangles. A silk pillowcase helps prevent breakage.

sarahmalka

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:42 pm
Ah I just read everyone's responses and maybe you were asking a different question than general hair health! LOL
Were you just wondering how to keep it neat under a covering?

Newmami

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:45 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Is your hair curly or straight?

If straight, use a clarifying shampoo, and then towel dry. Take about a tablespoon of conditioner and rub it through your hair, and then comb out and let it dry.

Coconut oil is an excellent conditioner, and can also help keep your scalp from getting greasy or flaky. You will smell yummy, though. Very Happy

I actually used conditioner today for the first time. It took me a half an hour to untangle my hair and thought conditioner might help.
Anyway ignorant question conditioner does not have to get rinsed out?

weasley

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:45 pm
Why is your hair getting so knotted?

My hair is quite thick and down to my waist - I brush it straight out the shower and twist round into a bun and keep it like that whilst I sleep and for under my wig. If you brush it everytime you redo your hair it shouldn't get so knotty

Newmami

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:46 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
Ah I just read everyone's responses and maybe you were asking a different question than general hair health! LOL
Were you just wondering how to keep it neat under a covering?

Both I guess. My sis keeps telling me horror stories about going bald and gray quickly.
So want to keep it as healthy as I can.

Last edited by Newmami on Mon, May 18 2020, 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

weasley

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:46 pm
Newmami wrote:
I actually used conditioner today for the first time. It took me a half an hour to untangle my hair and thought conditioner might help.

Definitely use conditioner!!! Will make a huge difference! You soap your hair with it in the shower (not your scalp because that causes your roots to get greasy) and then rinse it out.

Last edited by weasley on Mon, May 18 2020, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Newmami

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:47 pm
weasley wrote:
Definitely use conditioner!!! Will make a huge difference! You rinse your hair with it (not your scalp) and then rinse it out.

Oh ok thanks

I love imamother, always get the answers thanks all of you!!!!

Elfrida

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:52 pm
If you're only brushing it once in a while, it is going to get tangled. You need to brush it every day. How did you look after it before you were married? The basis is the same; the only difference should be keeping it neat and controlled under a sheital. Do you cover at night? If not, brush it out in the evening and braid it if it is long, and it won't need much extra attention in the morning.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:54 pm
Newmami wrote:

I don’t undersrand. How did you care for yor hair before you got married?

Also, there are directions on the conditioner bottle (and any beauty products)

amother
White

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:59 pm
I wrote this recently on another thread. I wear a grip cap under my sheitel. It’s a joke by us that I triple cover. It keeps my hair from getting so damaged tangled and dry and no bald spots where the clips are. I don’t wash everyday and I use leave-in conditioner after I wash and condition my hair

Newmami

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 5:59 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
I don’t undersrand. How did you care for yor hair before you got married?

Also, there are directions on the conditioner bottle (and any beauty products)

I have a lot of thin hair.
Was a bliss to take care of.
Never needed conditioner never got dry.
Now it gets dry it gets tangled more than ever.
I don't brush every night and yes maybe I'll try to be better about that. TMI
Always room for improvement

amother
White

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 6:00 pm
Delete

LovesHashem

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 6:03 pm
Did you not use conditioner before? I've never met a woman or girl who never used it.
It needs to be washed out and makes getting through the knots WAYYYY easier. Also start from the bottom and work your way up.

Sleep in a bun too.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 6:08 pm
Brush it in the morning before putting a head covering on and brush it out at night after showering. If your hair is super knotty apply conditioner after you rinse your hair from shampoo. Use a good brush and comb it through until you detangle all the knots . Rinse the conditioner out. Towel dry your hair and brush it again . Remove any leftover tangles.
If you are right after a baby/nursing , your hair may be falling out which causes the hair to knot.
Also if you have hypothyroidism your hair can get brittle and dry and fall out which also causes knotting.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Mon, May 18 2020, 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics