Home

If you have antibodies, you can’t catch it again?
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 6:47 pm
Is that the way it works?
So you can go amongst people if you have the antibodies of the virus?

Apologize if this subject has been discussed ad nauseum but I feel very confused
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 6:53 pm
You are confused because we are all confused. The disease is too new and the doctors don't know if antibodies means you are immune. They are saying you cannot count on being immune.

Just to show you how confusing it is, this says you can't get it twice, and the other says a women did get it twice, even testing negative in between infections.

https://news.sky.com/story/cor.....81721

https://vosizneias.com/2020/05.....wice/
Back to top

fleetwood




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 6:53 pm
Absolutely not. They are still studying this.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 6:57 pm
If there is such conflict & confusion, & so much unknown about it, what’s the rush to all get our antibodies checked?

I think it’s not answering any questions & making us a feel a false sense of security.

Am I wrong?
Back to top

amother




Salmon
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 6:57 pm
So why are people running out for antibody tests?
It sounds like the results would be more useful to the public health authorities than for those doing the testing at this point.
Back to top

Ora in town




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 7:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is that the way it works?
So you can go amongst people if you have the antibodies of the virus?

Apologize if this subject has been discussed ad nauseum but I feel very confused

Yes, most likely.
But:
- You have to confirm that you are positive on antibodies and negative on the virus itself
- there are false positives on the antibody test, so one antibody test might not be enough to confirm you have them, you might require double or triple confirmation....
Back to top

gamzehyaavor




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 7:05 pm
Op & salmon. According to doctors I’ve been in touch with- there’s no point in checking antibodies yet till they know more. (Including an infectious disease Dr) But of course check with your own Dr.

It’s probably like you say salmon, for public health officials to see how widespread Covid was when there weren’t enough pcr nasal swab testing avail.
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 7:22 pm
Not only are doctors saying we have no idea what having antibodies really means in terms of immunity, but Dr Dietchek sent out a video last week of him saying that the lab he works with has been seeing a large ammount of people who test positive for antibodies, and then 2-3 weeks later are tested again and the levels dropped to very low/non-existant.
He said some people had such high levels of antibodies, they donated plasma and were called back 3 weeks later to donate more-but when they retested them before donating the second time, their antibody levels were hardly there.
He said that he had tested for moderate ammount of antibodies, retested a few weeks later and he had none at all.
Back to top

amother




Gray
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 7:28 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Not only are doctors saying we have no idea what having antibodies really means in terms of immunity, but Dr Dietchek sent out a video last week of him saying that the lab he works with has been seeing a large ammount of people who test positive for antibodies, and then 2-3 weeks later are tested again and the levels dropped to very low/non-existant.
He said some people had such high levels of antibodies, they donated plasma and were called back 3 weeks later to donate more-but when they retested them before donating the second time, their antibody levels were hardly there.
He said that he had tested for moderate ammount of antibodies, retested a few weeks later and he had none at all.


Can you post a link to the ditches video where he says this? Thanks
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 7:29 pm
In Israel, when I got it it was the week before Purim. I called and asked for a test, and I was told that there weren't enough tests to go around. Then I found out that the batch they had was faulty and showing lots of false negatives.

Now some people are testing negative for Covid, and positive for antibodies, and vice versa. We still don't know if you can catch a different strain of Covid, even if you've already had one strain. Maybe you can, maybe not.

Who has had Covid, and wants to volunteer to get injected with another strain? Not me, that's for sure.

I'm not running around scared, but I am definitely living my life in a careful way, and not counting on any "herd immunity" or research that is still in its earliest stages.

A false sense of security will be our downfall, IMHO. It's human nature to want to have solid facts, I get it. Sometimes we have to be OK with doctors saying "Not all the facts are in yet, and we haven't analysed all the numbers. We'll get back to you when we know more."

If the data doesn't come for another 6 months, then speculating and worrying will not make the info get here any faster.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 7:35 pm
Previous coronaviruses have limited immunity.
Some of the more common ones have about 32 weeks
Some of the more serious ones like SARS has 2 years
So I’m guessing somewhere between 32 weeks and 2 years.
Back to top

amother




Violet
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 7:47 pm
https://www.hillygram.com/dr-s.....-nyu/
Back to top

amother




Burlywood
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 8:24 pm
Ora in town wrote:
Yes, most likely.
But:
- You have to confirm that you are positive on antibodies and negative on the virus itself
- there are false positives on the antibody test, so one antibody test might not be enough to confirm you have them, you might require double or triple confirmation....


False positives on antibody test are highly unusual.
Back to top

Laiya




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 8:26 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Not only are doctors saying we have no idea what having antibodies really means in terms of immunity, but Dr Dietchek sent out a video last week of him saying that the lab he works with has been seeing a large ammount of people who test positive for antibodies, and then 2-3 weeks later are tested again and the levels dropped to very low/non-existant.
He said some people had such high levels of antibodies, they donated plasma and were called back 3 weeks later to donate more-but when they retested them before donating the second time, their antibody levels were hardly there.
He said that he had tested for moderate ammount of antibodies, retested a few weeks later and he had none at all.


Antibodies always wane after an infection. The question is, is the amount to which they've waned, enough to render someone no longer immune? It seems we don't have a definite answer.
Back to top

amother




Saddlebrown
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 8:35 pm
I ran to get tested so I can donate plasma. Many people went to test for that reason.
Back to top

amother




Hotpink
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 8:52 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
False positives on antibody test are highly unusual.


Tests are designed with two qualities: sensitivity (detecting antibodies) as well as specificity (detecting Covid antibodies in particular).

Some tests sacrifice one for improving the other.

Tests high in sensitivity but low in specificity may result in false positives.

Tests low in sensitivity but high in specificity may result in false negatives. This is probably a rare scenario.
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 8:58 pm
Laiya wrote:
Antibodies always wane after an infection. The question is, is the amount to which they've waned, enough to render someone no longer immune? It seems we don't have a definite answer.


He was saying more than just waning. He was talking about huge drops, and also completely disappearing, in only 2-3 weeks time
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 9:00 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Can you post a link to the ditches video where he says this? Thanks


Posting the link, hope it works...

https://www.facebook.com/10000...../?d=w

He starts talking about the antibodies at about 4 minutes in
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
So why are people running out for antibody tests?
It sounds like the results would be more useful to the public health authorities than for those doing the testing at this point.

I don't know about where you live, but where I live, they were testing for antibodies ONLY for plasma donation purposes. They were very clear about this. Only those willing and planning on donating plasma were to go and use the resources. They were extremely clear and said in big bold letters many times that antibodies do not in anyway indicate immunity. Its a successful treatment for some reason. Not a way to see immunity. I don't know the science behind it.
Back to top

Laiya




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, May 18 2020, 9:17 pm
little neshamala wrote:
He was saying more than just waning. He was talking about huge drops, and also completely disappearing, in only 2-3 weeks time


What is he basing this on?

Disappeared to the point of being non-existent? Or just too low to donate plasma?

Was there a study done? What percentage, or even, how many, people who originally had antibodies sufficient to donate, had them disappear to non-existent within 3 weeks?

There are definitely people who were sick 6 weeks ago still coming out with positive antibody tests now.
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Maxi dresses that can be used for maternity
by amother
31 Yesterday at 11:00 pm View last post
Anyone know where I can find cap toe flats?
by amother
1 Yesterday at 9:38 pm View last post
What can my 18 y.o. Son do for summer
by amother
0 Yesterday at 5:08 pm View last post
Where can we buy lit address numbers on house?
by amother
1 Yesterday at 2:07 pm View last post
I can’t stop buying clothes online since the virus started.
by amother
14 Yesterday at 8:44 am View last post

Jump to: