Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Coloring natural hair s/o

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 6:40 pm
Are there any opinions that natural hair cannot be colored with dye or bleach? Is it dependent on a color? I remember in a TH class hearing that the dye needs to be maintained enough that “one would leave the house looking like that” to determine if the color was fresh enough before going to mikvah. I never thought to look into this further until a recent (locked) thread. Are there other opinions? Does it depend on the color or permanency? Or community? I’m asking about hair that is completely covered with a sheitel.

hodeez

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 7:00 pm
I thought it was that the color is permanent and does not bleed when you shower

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 8:18 pm
I guess that makes sense to be actually attached to the hair. Is any color fine? Anything else I should know?

bigsis144

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 8:20 pm
I’ve dyed my hair various shades of teal, blue and purple! I even got complimented on it by my (out of town) mikvah lady.

Go for it! 💚💙💜

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 8:52 pm
Ask your Rav. I use a permanent dye. And like to dye it around 2 weeks before tevila. That gives enough time for any dye that didn't absorb to wash out. But also keeps me from having any roots.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 8:58 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I’ve dyed my hair various shades of teal, blue and purple! I even got complimented on it by my (out of town) mikvah lady.

Go for it! 💚💙💜

I’m secretly a fan of the light teal. It matches my eyes. I’m the last person you would imagine too. I usually highlight.

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 9:22 pm
The only issue I’ve learned about is non-permanent dye as a chatzitza for mikva. If you cover your hair, I can’t imagine any reason not to dye it any color you like. If it is an unusual color that is shown publicly, I imagine it may be a tznius question to be discussed with your local halachic authority.

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 9:22 pm
bigsis144 wrote:

Go for it! 💚💙💜

Did you need to bleach your hair first? Did you do it in a salon or at home?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 18 2020, 9:42 pm
Another option is to go blonde and then use wash-out dye.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 12:52 pm
I have dark blonde hair with highlights already so I wouldn’t need to bleach more if I wanted to try a trendy pastel color. I wrote the OP thinking I wanted to deposit color to cover my highlights so I don’t have to maintain them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics