Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to chicago...during covid!!!!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:27 am
were in middle of nowhere, and here my husband gets an offer in Chicago...but there is no timeline of normalcy, and he has been waiting for this for years...and so we might be moving....whats going on in Chicago now? im totally freaking out...I need a normal job....and what will my kids do? are we going to be stuck in quarantine in Chicago for a year? we just don't know what to do....

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 5:50 pm
I think my post got lost somewehere in the wee hours of the am!!!
any Chicagoans on here? how are things there?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 5:56 pm
Things are really bad in the Jewish area. In the entire city of Chicago, the Jewish area has the highest number of cases. Still much lower than NY numbers, but last week the frum zip code was almost 900 current cases and goes up every week.

Not good and as the weather warms people are doing less social distancing. This shabbos people were in the streets and schmoozing in large numbers. There is talk of opening shuls with staggered minyanim of 10 men. Many people want to open shuls for Shavuos so there is a lot of negotiation happening among local rabbanim - some want to stay closed and others are arguing to open (in some way that will allow for social distancing and maybe only to certain people?).

mha3484

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:01 pm
I am in Chicago and its confusing. We seem to be moving towards more reopening as weeks go by. The governor has a 5 phase plan and they claim we are going to be at the third phase at the end of the month. I am not hashem so who knows what will be in reality but the data shows that things are improving. The mayor said she is determined to start Chicago public schools in September which is hopeful because if CPS opens the yeshivos will also open.

I have only positive things to say about how my boys yeshiva has handled this whole experience. The chicago community is amazing. We are really coming together to help each other through this. If you have any practical questions feel free to PM me.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:11 pm
Here is an article about the latest updates in Chicago.

https://abc7chicago.com/illino.....5552/

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 6:18 pm
Your move should be with brocha v'hatzlocha!

shaimac1

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 9:22 am
op....do you have to live in West Rogers park for the job? Could your husband work remotely and maybe move to a closer community that isn't in Illinois? I ask because we live in South Bend, Indiana 90 miles from Chicago and we B"H are not having the issues that Chicago has, we have vouchers for K-12 which can mean Free Tuition, affordable homes- 3 bed 1.5 bath on a half an acre about 2000 sq ft home for $240k... and low property taxes...feel free to reach out to me directly!

mha3484

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 1:34 pm
Im sorry but please dont recommend that someone have a 3 hour commute that is ridiculous and unnecessary.

shaimac1

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 1:40 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Im sorry but please dont recommend that someone have a 3 hour commute that is ridiculous and unnecessary.

I specified that if they are working remotely anyway and just want a reason to leave an even more out of town community then maybe they should consider one close by...if they have to live in the area to do the job then of course I don't want them to have a 3 hour commute....

tichellady

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 2:11 pm
I know a number of people who may be moving to Chicago this summer. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating