Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
How to safely dispose of many gallons of milk
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:14 am
I am extremely grateful that the schools are giving out lunches. This has helped my family enormously. At the same time I believe the milk situation is completely out of hand. A family of 5 getting gallons of milk every day (if you tell them you don't want they say you can't have the lunch) is completely ludicrous. At this point my 7 year old is drinking 1/2 gallon of coffee every day and I am still left with gallons and gallons of milk.

I have no room in my garbage can and my fridge is stuffed with apples.

I feel stupid complaining but I have rotting milk all over my house and none of my neighbors or friends want it as they are inundated as well.

Can someone please tell me how to safely dispose of milk - can I drop off somewhere that is hassle- free?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:19 am
Do you have the space to freeze the milk?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:20 am
Thank you - yes I already have 7 frozen and no longer have any additional space.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:20 am
They don’t let you refuse the milk? That is so odd. I started telling them I don’t want it. I guess if there’s really nothing to do with it, why can’t you just pour it down the drain and recycle the empty bottles? Even though it’s sad to waste.. I don’t really understand your question.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:21 am
Why don't you freeze it?
Maybe there is a family without school aged kids who would want some? Give it to a soup kitchen?
If it is already spoiled and you want to toss it, why not flush it down the toilet, and crush the bottles so they take less room in the garbage?
If you have time/ patience and want to do a fun project with your kids, you can look up making cheeses, use it in cooking/baking ( just if it is something usually pave remember to make a siman)
Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:22 am
Thank you - Spilling milk down the drain will ruin your drains - the fat in the milk will congeal and cause problems. I literally have no room in my garbage cans/fridge/freezer and I simply don't know what to do.

Am I allowed to throw out in the garbage can that belongs to the school I pick up lunch from?

sequoia

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:24 am
This is just sad.

Can you immediately drop it off somewhere?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:24 am
Pour it down the drain.

egam

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:25 am
Make buttermilk or pot cheese with them

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:28 am
Just fyi, TCS gave me no problem not taking milk. Not sure which school you’re going to, but maybe you should go there.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:33 am
Pour it down the toilet while flushing.
For milk that is still good, make farmers cheese and use in shavuos recipes.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:35 am
Not with gallons- but you can use some of it when washing tzitzis

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:36 am
Where I live, tomchai shabbos and local food pantries are accepting donations of anything (not just the milk) still sealed from the lunch programs. Why don’t you find out if yours would too?

rachel6543

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:46 am
If you are on Facebook (see if there is a Buy Nothing group in your neighborhood) or the NextDoor App, there are usually many local groups/pages for giving away free stuff, including milk. That could be a way to connect to locals in your neighborhood who could use the milk. I know some families have similar issues in my area of getting too much milk and I see them post about it.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:48 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Where I live, tomchai shabbos and local food pantries are accepting donations of anything (not just the milk) still sealed from the lunch programs. Why don’t you find out if yours would too?

That would be great because I have some items that are sitting around from the lunch program that we’re not using. Anyone have info of whom to call about this in Lakewood?

Rappel

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:48 am
Spoiled milk makes great plant fertilizer. Just pour the it on the roots, it will enrich the soil.

(Btw, same for coffee grounds Wink)

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:51 am
We are making milk shakes coffee one for me half my kids just cholcate milk ones and the outhers drink fruit ones much better then all the juice they would drink but I still have a nice amount in my freezer also making pancakes use milk

real israeli

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:57 am
Make a milk shake

Milk ice cubes vanilla extract vanilla sugar reg sugar and a bit of instant pudding blended

Delicious, healthy enough to serve daily and main ingredient is milk so uses a lot

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 9:59 am
We only get a 1/2 gallon a day for 6 kids. Loise we don’t get Shabbos.
You can probably only take 1/2 gallon and not take the second bottle.
I wish they gave us 1 whole gallon. We are still buying milk.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:05 am
macaroni and cheese sauce (from scratch) uses a lot of milk. Make a big batch, mix with macaroni and freeze for shavuos. You also need cheese.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries