Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Could NYC remote summer school give Yeshiva kids math?

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:36 pm
I heard on the radio today that NYC will hold summer school by remote and even supply iPads. I realize that this is remedial education for failing students but in the possible absence of camp, could Yeshiva students who are deficient in math and reading skills use the program?

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:42 pm
The question is how many yeshivas are on par with levels for math and english anyway. LOL. They don't usually seem to care that much. I am sure the ones that do will figure out some sort of program though.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:43 pm
I don't know about NYC, but where I livr it is a really big deal to qualify for summer school
Basically IEP students only, and not even all of them qualify. Plus, with expected budget cuts, they are unlikely to open it up any more than what was previously scheduled.

TCR

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:48 pm
Khan academy has free courses. Let your kids try some to keep up

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:49 pm
Well I would imagine that public schools would want to give frum kids this education because it is well known that they are not on grade level and the yeshivas have been fighting with the DOE and now this would be an opportunity for frum kids to get the education without the public school environment. Many parents want at least math and reading.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:50 pm
TCR wrote:
Khan academy has free courses. Let your kids try some to keep up

We use it for homework.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:51 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Well I would imagine that public schools would want to give frum kids this education because it is well known that they are not on grade level and the yeshivas have been fighting with the DOE and now this would be an opportunity for frum kids to get the education without the public school environment. Many parents want at least math and reading.

The schools not meeting standards happen to be the same ones not using zoom and sticking to phone learning (or not... shhh)

My DS hasn't had lessons in secular studies since the school closure in March.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 2:12 pm
southernbubby wrote:

Its not about grade level, it's about kids who don't have the skills due to deficits in ability, not due to lack of education. And that they would regress over the summer in basic skill areas.
Plus, the DOE doesn't care that frum parents don't want their kids in a publuc school environment. Why should they?

I don't know if people here fully realize, but public education is going to take a major financial hit. There will be cuts across the board, and major cuts in resources and special programs....

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Its not about grade level, it's about kids who don't have the skills due to deficits in ability, not due to lack of education. And that they would regress over the summer in basic skill areas.
Plus, the DOE doesn't care that frum parents don't want their kids in a publuc school environment. Why should they?

I don't know if people here fully realize, but public education is going to take a major financial hit. There will be cuts across the board, and major cuts in resources and special programs....

When the tide goes out, all boats lower. Yes public schools will have major cuts in resources and special programs but private schools will be impacted as well. Many parents just can't afford to pay full tuition this coming year and donations will be way down until things recover.

There may be some reshuffling of families as well with families leaving NY and NJ due to growing taxes, ever increasing cost of living and now this. And, although a small percentage, there are families that learned that they can home-school effectively or that some combination of Melamed/Chabad/Kahn gets you a respectable education for a fraction of the price of a brick and mortar.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 4:04 pm
Sure, that's true, too.
But many frum pple in the NY area have gotten used to a lot of services being provided by the DOE. Much more so than in oot places. You can expect that to change. States such as FL and CA are already floating the idea of teachers getting a drastic paycut, as much as 10 or 20 percent. If they can't pay their regular teachers, there will be major cuts elsewhere, and you can expect services provided to students in private schools to be cut, as well. Unless the source of funds is federal, things will be slashed.
Simply moving out of town is not necessarily a panacea, as salaries are lower and there are fewer job opportunities.
Plus, I would bet places with vouchers are going to see a tightening of that, too.
Homeschooling or online schooling works for some, but I don't think you will see a mass exodus of people making that choice. A few, and most likely those who were on the fence already or very unhappy with their kids' schooling prior.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 4:35 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Sure, that's true, too.
But many frum pple in the NY area have gotten used to a lot of services being provided by the DOE. Much more so than in oot places. You can expect that to change. States such as FL and CA are already floating the idea of teachers getting a drastic paycut, as much as 10 or 20 percent. If they can't pay their regular teachers, there will be major cuts elsewhere, and you can expect services provided to students in private schools to be cut, as well. Unless the source of funds is federal, things will be slashed.
Simply moving out of town is not necessarily a panacea, as salaries are lower and there are fewer job opportunities.
Plus, I would bet places with vouchers are going to see a tightening of that, too.
Homeschooling or online schooling works for some, but I don't think you will see a mass exodus of people making that choice. A few, and most likely those who were on the fence already or very unhappy with their kids' schooling prior.

I guess time will tell how much the DOE cuts as something has to give until things recover. I don't see teachers in NY getting a pay cut with their strong union.

And for the trend to move out of NY, NJ that's been happening for a couple of years now and the SALT tax cap is not helping. https://www.northjersey.com/st.....4002/ . The other factor is that companies are realizing that employees were far more effective telecommuting than predicted and some companies are already discussing giving up some of their office space and keeping some level of employees at home. If you are not tied to a physical office for your job you can pickup and move to someplace that offers a better quality of life and is more affordable.

Agreed that homeschooling and online is not for everyone but for a school in the edge it could be the straw that broke the camel's back. I would not be surprised to see some consolidation.

Of course, people have short memories and all can return to as it was in January.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 5:33 pm
What you say is all true.
However, private schools that have gotten used to getting funds and services paid for by the DOE can expect a lot of cuts. That will be cut before teachers' salaries.
Things that are federally funded are not as much in jeopardy.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 5:47 pm
But aren't all NYC children entitled to a public school education? Many of us don't want our children to attend a public school but wouldn't object to online instruction. What if a large group of yeshiva families approached the DOE? And if some families resort to home schooling, their kids can have the best of both worlds.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 20 2020, 5:58 pm
Maybe if those kids unenrolled from private schools and registered as public school students. They don't get funding for students who aren't officially registered. And they won't spend extra money to hire teachers, pay for devices and other materials for kids who aren't their own students.
Yes, teachers are still needed for online instruction.
This would not be homeschooling btw, so no control over the curriculum, either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics