Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Immunity and vaccines for Covid-19

4sure

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:47 am
Anyone can clarify what is the difference between someone who had the virus and got immunity vs a vaccine that usually injects an either alive or dead of the same virus to build immunity is? Unless I have the idea wrong?

happy chick

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:50 am
Immunity from having the disease may not be for a lifetime. It may be temporary like influenza. Or it may be like measles or mumps that gives a person lifetime immunity.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 10:56 am
It may have to become an annual vaccine like the flu, if immunity does indeed wane like for other coronaviruses.

But even in the best-case scenario, if the antibodies created by Covid or a vaccine does lead to lifetime immunity, vaccines can create herd immunity without waiting for the natural herd immunity process that can take a very long time and cost too many lives.

4sure

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:09 am
So can I take from that, that herd immunity should be possible in the communities that were very highly infected?

imasinger

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:20 am
I read that for herd immunity, you need something like 70% or more.

Even the communities that were hit hardest officially have far lower.

Whether that's really so isn't known, because there haven't been enough tests.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 11:24 am
4sure wrote:
So can I take from that, that herd immunity should be possible in the communities that were very highly infected?

No, because apparently a lot of people who wer sure they had it and even tested positive for it are taking bloodwork and finding out they don’t have antibodies. Which means their not immune.

4sure

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:13 pm
My intended question wasn’t about herd immunity. Just the difference between immunity from a vaccine versus immunity from getting the actual infection.

Why can’t the immunity be verified after a person has recovered? What makes vaccines any better?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:24 pm
4sure wrote:

It might. It's unlikely that they have reached that high level of infection rate, even if it seems that way when looking around at "everyone you know."

The first wave seems to have passed in certain communities. Hashem should help and we should find out that indeed:

a - infection rate there was indeed high enough for herd immunity
b - immunity will hold for life
c - there won't be any short or long-term immune or other complications
D - there won't be further waves

That's a lot of things to hope for but Hashem can do anything.

For now I'll rather not rely on nissim and wait patiently for more information.

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 1:27 pm
Vaccines are quick to administer. They don't carry the risks of a few weeks in ICU on a respirator, and the associated expenses. They also eliminate community spread and thus the need for lockdown, and allow society to resume normal functioning.

We don't know how long immunity from a vaccine would last, but we also don't know how long immunity from the disease would last either. That will have to be studied over the coming years.

A 60 -70% level of herd immunity keeps infections to a managable level. A 95% level of herd immunity is considered enough to prevent outbreaks.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, May 19 2020, 2:43 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
No, because apparently a lot of people who wer sure they had it and even tested positive for it are taking bloodwork and finding out they don’t have antibodies. Which means their not immune.

That's not necessarily true. Antibodies can DEMONSTRATE immunity, but you can have immunity without detectable antibodies too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics